Dolly Parton MIming?

wbarenno

i think it's a real shame that people can't say "wow, a legend of nearly 70, performed her socks off, sang pretty much everything live (debatable whether some tracks were lip-synched or not), cheered the crowd up and made everyone have a bloody good time.

I watched Blondie too and thought Debbie Harry sounded and looked terrible (performance wise), even if she sang every word live for the purists!

Nal the very second the vocals kicked in on Jolene I knew it was a backing track. Texted you if you remember.

Jolene/Coat of Many Colours/9 to 5 all mimed without the slighted hint of doubt.

I was looking at clips of her before the festival on this tour and thought the same but Im really not sure. I think shes just really good!

She can play quite a range of different instruments.

Take away the panto act and the plastic surgery and shes still an accomplished musician.

Looking at this, it doesn't look like shes miming to me at all. And the band are clearly playing it.

Couldn't manage to get my arse together on the day, but watched the set on iPlayer last night. Fantastic work - and very much live (though I would say that almost every guitar/violin/vocal line was doubled by someone else onstage).

Also she seems to play her guitar 'open' as it were to allow one-finger playing (because of her enormous nails) but it IS being played, quietly. Equally the banjo.

Good on her - that's a proper, no-nonsense performer from the old school of doing the job properly.

Edited by UEF

The lack of audible breath on the track is one of the give-aways. There was a "whisper" section to one song and I was thinking to myself that she had some cheek to think she'd get away with it.

Seems she's more gutsy than I give her credit for if people are still doubting it was lip-synched and accept she played that bloody sax.

The tracks she didnt mime (60% of the show?) sounded fantastic however.

The lack of audible breath on the track is one of the give-aways. There was a "whisper" section to one song and I was thinking to myself that she had some cheek to think she'd get away with it.

Seems she's more gutsy than I give her credit for if people are still doubting it was lip-synched and accept she played that bloody sax.

The tracks she didnt mime (60% of the show?) sounded fantastic however.

Watching it back, you can hear her breathing and her pauses and phrasing etc are too random to be back up tracks. I think. Why would she mime anyway? Shes capable of playing and singing perfectly fine. Her band were top professionals too. Shes played with people like Chet Atkins in the past. People who don't fuck about.

The sax bit was well dodgy though I'll give you that.

I have to say though, I'm not that fussed if novelty acts chose to mime or not. Her gig felt more like a show biz cabaret act than a serious music gig. And there's nothing wrong with that, but to pretend it was something different is daft.

I think this is absolutely spot on. Take it for what it is and there's no issue with miming. If people try and claim that it's something more earnest and serious and comparing it to a serious music gig and that's when people will start to take umbridge with the miming.

Edited by mrtourette

The sax bit was well dodgy though I'll give you that.

This is a women who is nearly unrecognisable from her former self dude. Trying to appear something she's not is (ironically) the only natural thing left about her. A real shame too as she was a unique beauty in her day.

I have to say though, I'm not that fussed if novelty acts chose to mime or not. Her gig felt more like a show biz cabaret act than a serious music gig. And there's nothing wrong with that, but to pretend it was something different is daft.

I spoke to my mother yesterday who had watched it on TV, she said she used to go and see Dolly years ago but stopped as it was getting very repetitive. The same songs and same talk between songs at every show, year on year. She said she couldn't belive it when watching on TV that it's still the exact same show now, 30 years since she last saw her.

This is a women who is nearly unrecognisable from her former self dude. Trying to appear something she's not is (ironically) the only natural thing left about her. A real shame too as she was a unique beauty in her day.

Yep. I suppose anything is possible when you feel the need to alter this so drastically.

19462-A-Young-Dolly-Parton.jpg

Nal the very second the vocals kicked in on Jolene I knew it was a backing track. Texted you if you remember.

Jolene/Coat of Many Colours/9 to 5 all mimed without the slighted hint of doubt.

I had exactly the same experience, such a massive shift from the sound of her mic to the tracked vocal. the moment the vocal on Jolene started i knew, and to be fair actually ruined it for me.

Didn't ruin much for me if she was miming some of it. Shes hardly shattered any illusions I had of her. It was a bit of panto and a few decent tunes and a laugh. Good light entertainment.Thats about it.

She sang more of her set than Beyonce did.

Roger Waters miming though. Now thats a kick in the balls.

Edited by The Nal

She didn't mime, other than the dodgy sax solo. Why would she need to? She's proven countless times she can deliver live performances.

It was a combination of strong backing singers, out of time screens/cameras & the general public/media not being able to recognise a true talent without throwing the old 'she's miming' bollocks at her.

She didn't mime, other than the dodgy sax solo. Why would she need to? She's proven countless times she can deliver live performances.

It was a combination of strong backing singers, out of time screens/cameras & the general public/media not being able to recognise a true talent without throwing the old 'she's miming' bollocks at her.

Are you a fan?