• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Why do you all hate Keane so much?

I don't hate Keane but they are probably not as popular as the Kaiserchiefs these days and they are headlining the John Peel Tent. I think that's about their level these days or mid order Other Stage. The Manics are way bigger with an amazing back catalogue and they weren't headlining. I mean even Blondie wasn't on the Pyramid stage. You have to be deluded if you think Keane are bigger than any of those bands.

That Eavis quote; I took it to mean the manager is British but the band aren't any more, not that one member of the band is (I think some people took it this way). Obviously the AC/DC evidence has been discussed, but I think Muse may live in LA now or something, so he could mean them. Would be better than bloody AC/DC for me anyway.

Anyway, Florence and the Machine, Fleetwood Mac, Muse/Foos.

I've seen a lot of mentions for Florence headlining, I really don't see it. 2nd top on the Pyramid or headling The Other Stage is the highest I could see her at Glastonbury, unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Alan_C

I've seen a lot of mentions for Florence headlining, I really don't see it. 2nd top on the Pyramid or headling The Other Stage is the highest I could see her at Glastonbury, unless I'm missing something.

she's been 'away' for a while so she's off everybody's radar. once the new album is released i reckon she'll shoot right back up there, although that said, i don't particularly see it yet either. maybe after one more album, but would just seem too soon come the next one

Yeah I agree if Florence's next album is popular she could do it. Her first 2 albums must have been as popular as Mumford's were and they headlined?

Mumfords took over the world with their second album. Florence didn't quite do that and her second album was a bit of a flop compared to her first

Mumfords took over the world with their second album. Florence didn't quite do that and her second album was a bit of a flop compared to her first

Does the global success matter too much so long as it's popular in the UK?

Perhaps a sub slot or an Other stage headliner?

That Eavis quote; I took it to mean the manager is British but the band aren't any more, not that one member of the band is (I think some people took it this way). Obviously the AC/DC evidence has been discussed, but I think Muse may live in LA now or something, so he could mean them. Would be better than bloody AC/DC for me anyway.

Anyway, Florence and the Machine, Fleetwood Mac, Muse/Foos.

Eavis nearly always get's his teasing info bits a little bit wrong...

With this in mind the "English Singer" reference could be Christine McVie - who's recently rejoined Fleetwood Mac. Although Mike and John are also English, because of Stevie and Lindsey most people assume them to be and American band.

Therefore I think he coule be talking about Fleetwood Mac.

As for people banging on about Florence and Keane. Both acts are very dependent on their next album sales etc and I don't think Eavis would book them a year ahead without knowing this. Elbow were looking a cert to headline a year or so ago, but new album/ singles don't cause a massive stir and therefore second from top..

Edited by danbailey80

Does the global success matter too much so long as it's popular in the UK?

Perhaps a sub slot or an Other stage headliner?

her second album was also a bit of a flop in the UK. still got to number one etc but didn't seem to take off (nor the singles) as much as the first album due to it's slightly darker / less pop sound

Pyramid sub is where i'd put her (although hopefully not under Fleetwood Mac - that'd be a bit on the nose). but who knows, another festival might snatch her up as a headliner - reckon TITP / V would give her a punt

If we have to have Adele and Fleetwood, then we must have Kanye as well, 2 boring headliners must be balanced out by Yeezy. The only alternative I can think of, is if the Eavii work a miracle and manage to wrangle Daft Punk. V and T can have the Foos and the Chillis.

Also, the idea of Keane is hilarious.

her second album was also a bit of a flop in the UK. still got to number one etc but didn't seem to take off (nor the singles) as much as the first album due to it's slightly darker / less pop sound

Pyramid sub is where i'd put her (although hopefully not under Fleetwood Mac - that'd be a bit on the nose). but who knows, another festival might snatch her up as a headliner - reckon TITP / V would give her a punt

Florence's second album did a lot better in the charts across the world than the first, but that was mainly down to her being relatively unknown when starting. In the UK though the first album did do better singles and album sales than the first.

Edit: That being said I don't think she will be the headliner the eavi currently have 'booked' but will be more of a sub and bump up if one of these headliners pulls out.

Edited by cwaite123

Eavis nearly always get's his teasing info bits a little bit wrong...

With this in mind the "English Singer" reference could be Christine McVie - who's recently rejoined Fleetwood Mac. Although Mike and John are also English, because of Stevie and Lindsey most people assume them to be and American band.

Therefore I think he coule be talking about Fleetwood Mac.

As for people banging on about Florence and Keane. Both acts are very dependent on their next album sales etc and I don't think Eavis would book them a year ahead without knowing this. Elbow were looking a cert to headline a year or so ago, but new album/ singles don't cause a massive stir and therefore second from top..

Yeah but I don't think Christine McVie is a he. From the way I read it I'm certain he meant the agent is British.

I think it'l be any of these really, but i'm also gonna say why I think they may not. (In brackets is why I think they may not do it.)

Radiohead - New album, and a very long overdue return... (Maybe too long, has the wait hype dwindled?)

Fleetwood Mac - Definite, they are TBA on the rumours page already. (Unless one gets ill again)

Florence + The Machine - New album, goes every year regardless (Maybe she isn't ready?)

Others to consider

Foo Fighters - Could, but I just doubt it.

AC/DC - Nah I think we're pulling straws

Muse - Potentially, but it feels too soon.

people thinking it's gonna be AC/DC a year after Metallica is just like everybody assuming it was gonna be Lady Gaga in 2013 / Kanye West in 2009 etc. just because they opened the door for new genres to headline doesn't mean the festival is gonna jump and book every act of that genre to headline in the years following. it might happen (never say never), but i doubt it

if Radiohead have a new album out next year (have they even begun to write / record?) then the festival would really be dropping the ball not booking them, but they'll be rumoured every year until they finally play again (and then a couple of years later rumoured all over again). i just need to see them headline Glastonbury!

Edited by FloorFiller

Just as a heads up one of the bands is from this list, if the rumour it was Peter Mensch that was watching Metallica with Eavis on Saturday night:

(ordered most to least likely band)

Muse
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Three Days Grace
Dawes
Silversun Pickups
POP ETC
Gillian Welch
Cage The Elephant
Rachele Royale
Ximena Sariñana
Baroness
Bear Hands
Metallica
So in all likelihood Muse or the Chillis.
There's an outside chance of him booking QPrime artists The Black Keys or Foals through Peter Mensch, despite them not being managed by Mensch himself.
He could of course have had another band manager from a different company watching on his other side, or behind him and be talking about a totally different set of artists.

there were already rumours of Muse being in talks to do it next year so could well (unfortunately) be them. still seems a little too soon to me but considering Glastonbury had a big part in their rise it's definitely possible

not gonna be the Chili Peppers. why would the festival book them now and not at their peak? (yes, they had a peak)