Acid_Haze

Why would holding Foals back affect whether they'll have new material for the festival?

Foals aren't big enough to headline yet. Maybe after a new album, but they subbed the Other Stage in 2013 and have done nothing since (and won't have by the time of the festival).

I don't get why hold back Foals anyway? Even one new song isn't going to make subbing a big thing.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Editted as I realised my error with Blur and exclusivity.

And Foals have headlined some smaller festivals (Latitude and Bestival), been 3rd at Reading, which is very similar to Florence. So I think they are definitely big enough to sub and possibly have the first push by Glastonbury to headline a major festival like Muse had so a few years ago. So I'm going to suggest we agree to disagree about that point.

Aye but they'll need new material to get the push to headliner from someone, probably at R&L or Glasto next year.

Aye but they'll need new material to get the push to headliner from someone, probably at R&L or Glasto next year.

If the announcement is in June (or late May or whenever), there is still a few weeks to announce a new album and a single etc...

Admittedly that is unlikely and so I'll back out and now say Noel Gallagher will sub as that is obviously the more likely choice to sub. I was just giving another possible suggestion which has been, fairly, shot down as a bit ridiculous/hopeful thinking on my part.

Edited by aidenlangan95

Editted as I realised my error with Blur and exclusivity.

And Foals have headlined some smaller festivals (Latitude and Bestival), been 3rd at Reading, which is very similar to Florence. So I think they are definitely big enough to sub and possibly have the first push by Glastonbury to headline a major festival like Muse had so a few years ago. So I'm going to suggest we agree to disagree about that point.

You're mad! Flo subbed Reading, not played 3rd, very different.

Just add Courtney Barnett in the 7th place where there is a gap. It looked like she would be but I guess if they've literally mixed it up this year that it's not that easy to predict, she could easily be a WHs header. Unless Motorhead are 4th Friday and Alabama Shakes are 3rd Other Friday?

Can either of Alabama Shakes or George Ezra play Saturday? I was thinking move one of them to Saturday Pyramid and slot Mary J. Blige in at 3rd.

Vaccines will surely be 3rd on Other on Friday.

ok mate

they've played together since, they obvs get on now

hahaha, are you serious?!! they played ONE song, TWO years ago at a CHARITY event. That hardly equates to conclusive fecking proof that they 'get on now'. It's a massive leap of logic to go from one song to subbing.

If someone was to headline the Other Stage, what would that be 'equivalent' to on the Pyramid Stage?

(BTW, I'm not suggesting Foals could headline this year without new material. I'm just saying with new material, if that material went down well enough in a quick amount of time, they could)

Edited by aidenlangan95

hahaha, are you serious?!! they played ONE song, TWO years ago at a CHARITY event. That hardly equates to conclusive fecking proof that they 'get on now'. It's a massive leap of logic to go from one song to subbing.

They've been quite open about having kept in touch, talked about collaborating etc. It's not 1995 anymore. Them playing consecutively on the same festival bill is perfectly plausible.

They've been quite open about having kept in touch, talked about collaborating etc. It's not 1995 anymore. Them playing consecutively on the same festival bill is perfectly plausible.

Playing together at the same festival is plausible. A man with Noel's ego subbing Blur isn't.

Talk about collaborating is just paper talk and pre Blur reforming. Never going to happen. Blur's current album and Noel's dad rock couldn't be more different.

Can either of Alabama Shakes or George Ezra play Saturday? I was thinking move one of them to Saturday Pyramid and slot Mary J. Blige in at 3rd.

Alabama Shakes can only do Friday but George Ezra can play Saturday. I don't either Ezra or Paloma Faith will play below 4th down though so not sure how that would work on the Saturday.

Alabama Shakes are at Down The Rabbit Hole and I can't see them playing that Friday, Saturday at Glasto then Belgium. It's deep into Holland as well.

And yes I'd forgot about The Vaccines for a minute, I imagine they are 3rd down, two dates at Brixton, Nottingham FM, Cardiff and BIC and Brighton Center even though the last two aren't big for what comes just about come under arena's is too much I imagine for 4th down. But neither date of the Brixton gigs are sold out, not even normal standing.

Ezra isn't busy any of the days by the looks of it.

Ok so I think:

Blur will headline: Playing IoW being the major problem.

Foals will sub: Picture on Instagram. Not playing any other UK festivals but playing EU festivals. Want to make sure that they will have new material for Glasto (and so maybe asked if they can be announced later? This is pure speculation, not fact)

Two British acts on Sunday where Foals are big enough to be a band who could headline but isn't (like Flo)

Chris Martin was involved in getting Kanye on side to playing Glasto (and not as we are thinking which is that he is involved in getting at least one of these two Sunday bands.)

Can't remember any other info given by Michael recently though, so feel free to ignore/disagree.

What did foals put on Instagram??

Ok so I think:

Blur will headline: Playing IoW being the major problem.

Foals will sub: Picture on Instagram. Not playing any other UK festivals but playing EU festivals. Want to make sure that they will have new material for Glasto (and so maybe asked if they can be announced later? This is pure speculation, not fact)

Two British acts on Sunday where Foals are big enough to be a band who could headline but isn't (like Flo)

Chris Martin was involved in getting Kanye on side to playing Glasto (and not as we are thinking which is that he is involved in getting at least one of these two Sunday bands.)

Can't remember any other info given by Michael recently though, so feel free to ignore/disagree.

Blur still remains the most likely headliner but part of me still doesn't think it will be them. Can't put my finger on why but other than Macca, can't see anyone else who closely fits the jigsaw. The 'penultimate/sub' is the interesting one, particularly Emily's tweet. Think the most likely outcome is some tie-in with Live Earth the week before, certainly not a standard act.

it's quite well-documented that they get on now.

do you think they were somehow forced to play together or something?

maybe there was a gun to Damon's head when he said this:

"I still see Noel from time to time. We text a bit," Albarn says. When asked if the pair would be making a record together, he replied, "I can imagine that being a very distinct possibility at some point in the future. But, as yet we haven't really talked about it, although…"

Albarn continues: "OK we have a little bit. We're talking. It's not anything to get excited about yet. I mean, he's doing his thing. He's finishing a new record. I've got my record coming out, but the principle of us making music together is something…you know, it would be fair to say, we have discussed it at least once."

as for subbing, Noel's a pretty smart guy, i'm sure he wouldn't have any problem with NGHFB subbing Blur, it's business at the end of the day.

Edited by ghostdancer1

maybe there was a gun to Damon's head when he said this:

as for subbing, Noel's a pretty smart guy, i'm sure he wouldn't have any problem with NGHFB subbing Blur, it's business at the end of the day.

An article a year ago when Damon was solo and before Blur got back together and started recording. It's just off the cuff chatting for the NME. It's well documented by tabloids and the NME. Y'know, media with papers to sell. Just like the 'Oasis reunion' stories.

"it would be fair to say, we have discussed it at least once". At least once! I take it all back, Noel is defo subbing Blur now.

Weller was on drums, so using the 'shared the stage for one Blur song' logic, I presume Weller into Blur is equally as possible.

Or perhaps it was just a muso's one off for charity and nothing more.

I was watching an interview with Noel the other day, he was discussing the blur vs oasis thing and how it was mostly a media thing that he was happy to play along with and that when he'd recently bumped into Damon Albarn in a nightclub they'd had a laugh about it. The way he talks about it is quite funny, saying that he's always happy to talk shit about other bands.

I think the grown up, grumpy old man Noel has actually become quite a decent character in the end. He's entertaining to listen to and still turns a good phrase. I lost quite a bit of time the other evening just watching interviews with Noel and Johnny Marr and a few others on youtube, some good characters who've got interesting things to say about a period of music that I loved (80's and 90's indie).