Acid_Haze

if he plays UK dates in June and boycotts glasto again this board is gonna go mad.

Obviously can't speak for the entire board but if that were to happen, I'd be done with Prince. Probably wouldn't bother seeing him live again anyway - arrogant men like him are only worth seeing once.

Edited by Babyquack

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

time to save up money and pray it doesn't clash with exams

I reckon you, Zac & Matt should have a gap year together (Berlin, The Outer Banks North Carolina?), smoke some decent weed, and take time out to think about yer own game.

Was at a family do today and my mother in law asked me if we'd heard anything about the lineup. When I said we'd still heard nothing more than at the Kanye announcement, she sighed loudly and then said "well I've got half a mind to write a strongly worded email to the organisers, you've paid your money so they should tell you who is playing really. I should tell them that they are being extremely cheeky!"

So there you have it folks, the mother in law is going to sort it for us. Lineup imminent.

Was at a family do today and my mother in law asked me if we'd heard anything about the lineup. When I said we'd still heard nothing more than at the Kanye announcement, she sighed loudly and then said "well I've got half a mind to write a strongly worded email to the organisers, you've paid your money so they should tell you who is playing really. I should tell them that they are being extremely cheeky!"

So there you have it folks, the mother in law is going to sort it for us. Lineup imminent.

To be fair she has a point. I am not sure why they quite get away with charging you for something without notifying you what you are actually purchasing. Got to be dodgy ground legally.

To be fair she has a point. I am not sure why they quite get away with charging you for something without notifying you what you are actually purchasing. Got to be dodgy ground legally.

I'm sure they get round it by having the refund date in May. As long as they announce the full lineup before that date, then really nobody can legally complain!

I do get your point though, if I had never been to Glasto before and I didn't know how amazing it is, and I was being asked to fork out £200 for a ticket which has my details on it (and I therefore can't sell on), with only five acts confirmed, I'd be feeling a bit unsure about whether to pay my balance off right now!

Edited by JoBalls

Obviously can't speak for the entire board but if that were to happen, I'd be done with Prince. Probably wouldn't bother seeing him live again anyway - arrogant men like him are only worth seeing once.

That's absurd. I'm no fan of Prince (the man or the muusician), but he owes nothing to Glastonbury and there is no reason why he should want to play it over any other gig.

That's absurd. I'm no fan of Prince (the man or the muusician), but he owes nothing to Glastonbury and there is no reason why he should want to play it over any other gig.

Apologies - I didn't mean that he 'owed' anything to Glastonbury or anyone in particular. I was going by how he doesn't like to put his name to a festival, especially one as distinct as Glastonbury, as he doesn't like his 'name' selling tickets. I do think that is arrogant and if he's doing that this time, then I must say I don't care for him much.

Re-reading my post, because I was quoting Matt, made me seem like if he was playing in the UK around the time but avoided Glasto, I'd be mad! Far from it, I would be disappointed but his touring choices are his own, no place of mine to say where he plays! :)

You're not buying the line-up, there's not a single dodgy legal thing about it.

There's nothing dodgy legally about it true, but I disagree with your comment that you're not buying the lineup - while most of us on here go to Glastonbury because we love it and would go whoever was playing, we are a minority of Glasto obsessives, most people aren't like us. For most people, the lineup is THE major factor of their festival experience, and I can totally understand why people would be miffed about being expected to pay up without knowing who's playing.

Edited by JoBalls

They 'get away with it' because we buy all of the tickets in October. The only thing forcing you to buy your ticket before the line up is anounced is the market, ie: the other punters.

Its a wonderful position for the festival to be in because it can agree to delay announcing certain bands that they might not otherwise be able to get, so we end up getting more bang for our buck.

I can totally understand why people would be miffed about being expected to pay up without knowing who's playing.

But if they are that miffed about it, they don't need to buy the ticket. I'm really not understanding the argument that we are owed anything other than someone giving us the opportunity to have a great and varied time and to have our minds opened up to experiences we would not have otherwise had. Not saying that that's what you personally are doing but there seems to be increasing numbers who are.

Wasn't trying to come across as saying the line-up doesn't matter, I also understand why loads of people would want it before they pay (although I think they're actually the minority, all the tickets paid for so far can't be all die-hard Foos and Kanye fans, the number of people who go back year after year shows that the people are there for the festival more than the bands). Just saying that knowing the line-up is not something the festival want to market themselves on, Michael's mentioned before that he'd like a festival where nobody knew the line-up before walking through the gates, it's not a festival like Leeds where they say "come and see the great bands we've got" the festival actively doesn't want to be about the artists that perform there, the organisers have never pretended that it was a selling point like most other fests do.

But if they are that miffed about it, they don't need to buy the ticket. I'm really not understanding the argument that we are owed anything other than someone giving us the opportunity to have a great and varied time and to have our minds opened up to experiences we would not have otherwise had. Not saying that that's what you personally are doing but there seems to be increasing numbers who are.

But, if we're talking about people who have never been to the festival before, and their only experience of festivals was the likes of V, Reading, IOW etc, then you can understand people feeling that way. Imagine going to one of those festivals and there only being 2 or 3 bands on the lineup that you wanted to see... It'd be bloody awful!!

What I'm meaning is that it's easy for the likes of you and I to part with our cash without knowing the lineup because we love the festival for what it is and we know that it's special. But for some people that's not the case, and I do understand those people placing importance on the lineup.

Apologies - I didn't mean that he 'owed' anything to Glastonbury or anyone in particular. I was going by how he doesn't like to put his name to a festival, especially one as distinct as Glastonbury, as he doesn't like his 'name' selling tickets. I do think that is arrogant and if he's doing that this time, then I must say I don't care for him much.

Re-reading my post, because I was quoting Matt, made me seem like if he was playing in the UK around the time but avoided Glasto, I'd be mad! Far from it, I would be disappointed but his touring choices are his own, no place of mine to say where he plays! :)

Fair enough, but i think its worth pointing out that he didn't like a festival that he WASN'T playing using his name to sell tickets. Not that it was!

I think people have misunderstood this. It's not that he's happy to play as long as they don't use his name to sell tickets; it's when he's not agreed to play but thinks the festival is using his name to sell tickets because he's reported to be playing in tabloids or whatever.

Fair enough, but i think its worth pointing out that he didn't like a festival that he WASN'T playing using his name to sell tickets. Not that it was!

I think people have misunderstood this. It's not that he's happy to play as long as they don't use his name to sell tickets; it's when he's not agreed to play but thinks the festival is using his name to sell tickets because he's reported to be playing in tabloids or whatever.

Fair enough if this is the truth, I'm more than willing to believe it as all I've gone by is what the media made of it - I've only recently ventured onto the Glasto forum threads as its hard enough to keep up with all the posts when I know I am going, let alone when I know I'm not :P

To sum up, I happily stand corrected, apologies for my misunderstanding :)

If I was the eavis's and the events of last year ie him pulling out due to media hype really happened I wouldn't be in a rush to try and book him again......if he's messed them around once because of his ridiculous ego then fuck the guy you know? if he wants to blow the chance to perform in front of so many of his fans and a massive tv audience just because of sheer paranoia and egotism then he doesn't deserve the chance to come back. I know it won't make me popular among the prince fans but if I was Michael and Emily I'd be thinking he just isn't worth the grief......I mean if he gets that bothered by what the press say etc how delicately with kid gloves would he need to be handled on the day? No artist is bigger then this festival. If he did blow his chance last yesr and mess glastonbury around then why pander to his ego again?

He didn't pull out. Michael said in a pre-festival interview with The Guardian that they were in discussions but a tabloid running a story saying he was playing the festival scared him off. I agree though that he probably isn't really worth this hassle of chasing him down every year.

Fair enough if this is the truth, I'm more than willing to believe it as all I've gone by is what the media made of it - I've only recently ventured onto the Glasto forum threads as its hard enough to keep up with all the posts when I know I am going, let alone when I know I'm not :P

To sum up, I happily stand corrected, apologies for my misunderstanding :)

No problems. Good to see you back!