"Facing the Music" - a Glastonbury novel

Tim Thorogood

yeah, I felt it was quite readable.

Now I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was the author who sent me a copy.

then you need Crispin & John's Glastonbury Festival Tales, with it's true stories of people getting fucked up on drugs, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure I will. They're all pretty cheap as ebooks on Amazon and I've just rediscovered the joys of my Kindle!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then you need Crispin & John's Glastonbury Festival Tales, with it's true stories of people getting fucked up on drugs, etc, etc, etc.

I've got that, now I just have to find it again....

I read Rick leaches books, " turn left at the womble" etc parts 1 to 3 and really enjoyed them , apart from the editing by a three year old and Rick's fascination for coffee, which I substituted for beer every time he had one. His books begin is the years I started going. His gawping amazement of how good the Portishead gig was, was spot on, and also his recollection of the Park set by Courtney Barnett in 2014, though he does gush to much.

I read Rick leaches books, " turn left at the womble" etc parts 1 to 3 and really enjoyed them , apart from the editing by a three year old and Rick's fascination for coffee, which I substituted for beer every time he had one. His books begin is the years I started going. His gawping amazement of how good the Portishead gig was, was spot on, and also his recollection of the Park set by Courtney Barnett in 2014, though he does gush to much.

I was at that one!

The Womble books are next on my list.  

I've read most of the books mentioned, I thought Face The Music was very good actually, definitely kept me reading till the end, bloody mardy teenagers though.  I thought the first womble book was a bit dry, I kept thinking, why don't you get out of the Pyramid/Other stage circuit, and get a cider down your neck.  Second one was a great insight into working at the festival if you never have.  Not read the third yet but definitely on my list.

Another Glastonbury book I picked up was "The Glastonbury Trip, Part 1".  The description led me believe that it was a story based at the 1995 festival, which was my first, it was actually a story based on the trip from Manchester to Glastonbury, with only the last dozen or so pages actually based at the festival.  Having said that I thought it was a bloody good read, some stand out characters and very well written.  Looking forward to Part 2 which will actually be based at the 1995 festival.

Edited by SteveTLizard

Well, you are mentioned in the author's notes at the end, he thanks you for the use of a map.

Far more evocative than the Facing The Music book. It mentions loads of places and bands, whereas Facing The Music focusses much more on the characters. There are lots of good reader reviews of FTM, but I didn't believe in the characters by the end, unconvincing dialogue and too much direct description of the characters' feelings - show don't tell! Plus, apart from the son who had a minor role, they were pretty much all unlikeable.