Showering at Glastonbury. Yes or no?

Guest johnny-yen

I normally heat up a kettle of water and then mix hot and cold water in an empty ( clean) porridge or pasta pot to wash  my hair on day 3. This year my “cold” water carrier had been in the sun all day and was so hot I didn’t need the kettle at all!! 

55 minutes ago, morph100 said:

If it’s sunny pour some water over your head and wash that way, if it’s muddy wet wipes and a beer so you don’t care if you stink

agreed -  I had a collapsible bowl / flannel / soap bar type situation going on, but then I was sweaty and gross again 10mins later in the brutal heat this year

16 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

agreed -  I had a collapsible bowl / flannel / soap bar type situation going on, but then I was sweaty and gross again 10mins later in the brutal heat this year

The collapsible bowl combo is my new favourite Glasto accessory. While largely pointless on Saturday, I did enjoy having a bowl of (glittery) water to splash my face in every five minutes whilst getting ready. 

I've not showered any of the times I've been and I don't necessarily see that changing in 2020. Some friends I go with have to shower every day, I get it, it's personal preference and some people just can't feel comfortable unless they are shiny and clean each day. I try to appreciate during Glasto time that I can feel okay without that - bar of soap, couple cups of water, wet wipes seem to do me just fine.

Also I only ever wash my hair every 2-3 days anyway because of it's curliness so it's no stretch to go without a wash for the duration of the festival. I quite enjoy seeing how big it can get. But oh, the first shower when I get home... the hair that I pluck from the shower drain after that could be enough to create a wig for a small child.

I've never had a shower at Glastonbury in all the years i've been going. A flannel and a small bowl of cold water in the tent when I get up does me fine. Last year I did take a small bottle of face wash and which I would use once i'd got through into the festival, which was very nice. I also carried a bottle of hand wash, it's lovely to wash your hands with proper soap every now and then. I also offered it to whoever was at the tap at the time, there were alot of very grateful happy people with nice clean hands in 2019!

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Showers in 2016 washed off the mud.

Showers in 2019 washed off the sweat and sun cream.

Chuck in some lemon and tea tree Original Source shower gel and it's once more unto the breach*

*2008-me is currently wondering WTF happened. "You used to be cool, man".

The mint original source was my go to ... proper good stuff .....untill I developed a skin allergy to it .... now its my pump up power ( high pressure porta shower ) and a bit of environmentally friendly shower gel 

I enjoyed my first shower this year, on my 14th Glastonbury, only because they were no queues, no hassle and 10m from where I camped in the FMS field. Glorious: I ended up having a daily shower. 

Prior to that I was never that bothered. On the muddiest years I did need a double shower on returning home to get sort of clean again. 

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I always used to say "I don't need to shower at Glastonbury" until I had one for the first time in 2016. Life-changing experiences.

Substitute for 2017 and I'm bang with you. Was magical!

Although This year I did list go back to soap, washcloth and a bowl of water :D

51 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The mint original source was my go to ... proper good stuff .....untill I developed a skin allergy to it .... now its my pump up power ( high pressure porta shower ) and a bit of environmentally friendly shower gel 

Allergy or not, that stuff makes certain areas very tingly!

50 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The mint original source was my go to ... proper good stuff ....

I seem to remember a standup comedian talking about using this stuff around the 'tradesmans' a few years back, possibly Peter Kay, and described it as 'like leaving the windows open on your a*se'.