Showering at Glastonbury. Yes or no?

Guest johnny-yen

I've been following the Camping Equipment thread on here and amazed at the amount of comments about bringing portable showers to Glasto.

Is not showering for a few days really that important? I personally survive with a packet a wet wipes. I shower for 51 weeks a year, surely missing out for one week a year isn't going to hurt that much.

Am I being smelly or am I in the majority?

I've been following the Camping Equipment thread on here and amazed at the amount of comments about bringing portable showers to Glasto.

Is not showering for a few days really that important? I personally survive with a packet a wet wipes. I shower for 51 weeks a year, surely missing out for one week a year isn't going to hurt that much.

Am I being smelly or am I in the majority?

My head itches like a right bastard if I don't wash it every day. I've probably conditioned it to do this, I know that, but it's bloody horrible if I don't.

So I do. It's a five minute job, and I feel splendid afterwards. Agreed though, wet wipes for the Grundy regions

A bucket with some lovely fresh water from the water carrier, clean face, sponge bath and if you're brave, tackle the hair. Wet wipes work just as well. I haven't noticed anyone smelling at festivals, only the usual BO smell from certain people - but I think they just stink all the time :)

I once accidentally insulted someone who said they couldn't go 5 days without a wash. I said "who said anything about not having a wash you smelly b*****".

I have a pop-up sink I fill with a bit of warm water every day and wash with it, then into my tent to do the "private" areas with a flannel and/or wet wipes. Hopefully I don't have too much of an issue with smelling!

Full Feral is the only option :P

Nah, wet wipes usuually do the trick and a bit of deodrant ...and then when I see a tap without a queue I'll splash my head under it quickly, to freshen up the hair.

This year I am thinking of taking the advice from some on here about bucket and bit shower gel in the water for a strip wash.

I think we could all manage 5 days without a bath / shower. I mean what with all the cleaning we normally do when not at the festi, the likelihood of any seriously nasty or smelly bacteria being able to recolonise our bodies in just those 5 days in sufficient enough quantity to cause any issues, is low imho. With wet wipes and the odd rain shower, I reckon we'd all be OK - soft Northern Europeans, honestly! ;)

No need for a shower, queues are always too long for my liking. I pack a brew up kit as I just MUST have that morning cuppa! Just makes sense to take a small bowl ('bout 7 inches across, stainless steel, it is sufficient) flannel, hand towel (always know where your towel is). This means I can have a strip wash in my tent in the morning. It just makes sense and is soo refreshing (I also pack travel sized talc powder for my feet!). I have some nylon string rigged up inside my tent as a "washing line" which I then pop the flannel and towel over that, the days 'tent heat' dries them out for the next day!

Edited by HurrahBrother

It's absolutely fine not to but last year, at my 9th Glastonbury, I popped a travel towel in my bag and, walking past the showers early Saturday evening I noticed there was only a tiny queue. I had a very quick shower and it made me feel like a new man. Of course you don't need to have a shower but my god it's lovely if you do have one.

Edited by TomfromStroud