Recharging phones with external batteries

Guest oindypoind

Having just seen a promoted post over on FB from EE trying to get people to buy an EE branded external charger for their phone I was a bit incensed at their offering. A measly 2000mAh battery for £20.

I totally get that a lot of people want to do Glastonbury with a phone, it makes meeting up with friends so much easier, but with most of us now carrying around a battery munching monster in our pockets, we're lucky if it'll last a day or so.

As an avid player of the android game Ingress, which is a geo-location augmented reality type thing, which will munch my battery in half a day of heavy play, I thought I would share my thoughts on better offerings.

For £23 you can get a 6000mAh Anker battery

http://goo.gl/fn3Nsf

Or for £36 you can get a 12000mAh Anker battery.

http://goo.gl/wugILJ

12000mAh is enough to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone 5 times over, so I reckon it's going to be the perfect companion for Glastonbury this year.

There are loads of other similar external batteries, some even bigger, but that's when the weight trade off will come in :)

I reckon these two are a good size for Glastonbury.

Andy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently got an anker astro e4

13000mah for Glastonbury, cost £30.

Took 9 hours to Charge up and got 5 full charges for my moto g, well over 7 days without hooking into the electric.

Usually take trusty old Nokia brick but have recently been dragged into 21st century, so need to have power for the new phone.

Took 2 hours to fully charge my moto g from flat, as good as the wall plug.

Edited by moheetoes

Took 9 hours to Charge up and got 5 full charges for my moto g, well over 7 days without hooking into the electric.

Usually take trusty old Nokia brick but have recently been dragged into 21st century, so need to have power for the new phone.

How big + heavy is it? I'm tempted by the EE bar because:

*You can pick up a fresh one onsite

*Because they're not high-capacity, they won't be as big or heavy as the chargers that will last you all weekend

Are there any specs anywhere? Like how many grams + exact volume?

Also don't forget they will charge other things, Kindle, iPad, etc, and on the bigger one you can charge 3 things at the same time, which is just crazy! It actually charges faster than the USB port in my car too.

In terms of weight yep the bigger one is about as heavy as a wallet full of coins. So a bit heavier than the phone itself.

Also don't forget they will charge other things, Kindle, iPad, etc, and on the bigger one you can charge 3 things at the same time, which is just crazy! It actually charges faster than the USB port in my car too.

In terms of weight yep the bigger one is about as heavy as a wallet full of coins. So a bit heavier than the phone itself.

Bought this Anker one the other week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CTK6SLE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Decent 13000mAh power pack for £29.99

I've already had 4 or 5 charges out of it for an Iphone 5s.

I think for the price it's got a very good capacity for an Anker product.

Edited by chrislfc

Hey. interesting you should bring up what EE are doing i also read that and thought what a cash-in!!

If anyone is looking for a good cheap emergency power solution for your mobile phones whilst at a festival , then check this U.K site-

http://futurocks.com/

They have chargers for less than £20 that have dual USB ports so you and a friend can charge simultaneously. They also have a charger with a built-in torch!!! :bye:

Hey. interesting you should bring up what EE are doing i also read that and thought what a cash-in!!

If anyone is looking for a good cheap emergency power solution for your mobile phones whilst at a festival , then check this U.K site-

http://futurocks.com/

They have chargers for less than £20 that have dual USB ports so you and a friend can charge simultaneously. They also have a charger with a built-in torch!!! :bye:

You shouldnt run down to Zero... I did that with my HTC one toehr other day... it wont switch back on now... not even a charging light :(... picked up a cheap Motorola E phone... which does basically the same as the ONE but cost only £80.. anyways... im babbling... but wont let this one die of charge!

definitly going down this route.....my phone is my camera so I want to keep it charged......but yes the ee powerbrick does seem a ripoff as with most branded promotional type things. and they say they will always have them precharged to swap over but surly that defeats the object? yes your not lining up at the ee charging tent....your lining up to get a new powerbrick instead.....kind of defeats the point esp if they get high demand and people have to wait while more are charged

My mate brings a house alarm battery fitted in to a homemade case with him and it charges 4 phones at once using 2 double usb car cigarette fittings. Not sure how much charge it holds but charges 5 peoples phones for the whole festival so must be a fair bit!

Hi,

This is something I have been thinking about A LOT over the last 12 months.

A friend had a Morphie recharge pack (unsure of model) last year. It charged his phone every day, and my phone once. Are the Anker ones comparable?

If at all possible I would like to avoid forking out an extra £80 this month. £40 is preferable if the Anker one is man enough for an iPhone 5....

I popped into my local EE shop to have a look at their ones. First off, the sales guy didn't have a scooby about what I was talking about and he really didn't know the specs. From what I gather, it holds about 3hours, which I guess equates to one full charge in real money.

I wonder how the swap thing is going to work and how long the queues will be?

I've had this for about 6 months now...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10000mAh-Portable-Dual-Port-Thunderbolt-Incredible/dp/B0063AAIRG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401791674&sr=1-2&keywords=anker+astro

Can safely say it is a fantastic bit of kit for the price. I get just over 4 charges from it on my iPhone 5 and it's pretty rapid. Has 2 USB slots, so you can charge 2 things at once.

I can imagine the swap out being a massive ball ache in terms of queues, them not having enough ready etc.

Thankfully my samsung has removable battery so I've bought some spares and also a USB charging cradle so I can leave the spare battery charging in the tent off my Anker so not having to carry everything round with me