Spirits in plastic bottles?

Guest Firesprice

From last year, I've decanted spirits into plastic bottles which were used for fruit juices, so relatively sturdy, and still have the original bottles with no accidents. I wouldn't bother looking for booze in plastic, but buy what you want and decant it.

For premixing, try a smaller carbonated bottle, or pour out some tonic from the bottle to add in the gin, which would avoid losing too much carbonation in the decant.

Does anyone know how much spirits I should put in say a 1 litre mixer bottle to be the equivalent of a double measure and mixer from a bar?

I've quicky worked it out as 70ml (double measure) spirits per half pint / 284ml glass.

284ml - 70ml = 214ml

Soooo 70ml spirits + 214ml mixer = Half pint measure or 284 ml

1000ml ÷ 284ml = 3.5

(3.5 x 70ml) + (3.5 x 214ml) = 1lt

Or (245ml spirits) + (749ml mixer) = 1lt

Put simpler 250ml spirits in a 1tr bottle or 500ml in a 2lt bottle.

1 part spirit 3 parts mixer.

Anyone any good with maths out there? Is this correct?

I'm not really sure about your calculations, although they look good ;-)

Cocktails etc all use different quantities, but I go for the a parts of X and b parts of Y, so with your example of 1 part spirit 3 parts mixer, that makes 4 parts in total - I'd divide the 1litre bottle by 4, then the proportions are 250ml spirit and 750ml mixer (where I'd pour out 250ml of the mixer, so that most of the carbonation remains, then add the spirit).

Try googling too.

http://

karanewman.wordpress

dot

com/category/cocktails-for-a-crowd/

Does anyone know how much spirits I should put in say a 1 litre mixer bottle to be the equivalent of a double measure and mixer from a bar?

I've quicky worked it out as 70ml (double measure) spirits per half pint / 284ml glass.

284ml - 70ml = 214ml

Soooo 70ml spirits + 214ml mixer = Half pint measure or 284 ml

1000ml ÷ 284ml = 3.5

(3.5 x 70ml) + (3.5 x 214ml) = 1lt

Or (245ml spirits) + (749ml mixer) = 1lt

Put simpler 250ml spirits in a 1tr bottle or 500ml in a 2lt bottle.

1 part spirit 3 parts mixer.

Anyone any good with maths out there? Is this correct?

nooooo....its much easier than that. Imagine yourself making a really big cocktail....pour in a shed load of booze and then add your mixer....roughly 3 parts mixer to 1 part spirit...sorted!