12 Step Recovery - Meetings at Glastonbury 2014

Guest Marksmanspark

Hi,

I am going Glastonbury 2014 for the first time sober. I have been going to Glastonbury for over 10 years so was keen not to miss it even though I am not using & drinking. I attend both Alcoholics Anonymous & Narcotic Anonymous. I have been sober for over seven months now and work the steps.

I have heard they have a 12 step recovery tent in the healing fields or at least do daily meetings. Is there anyone that can help me?

Alternatively if there are no 12 step meetings it would be nice to exchange some numbers of people in the fellowship who are going to be at the festival.

Thanks

x

Hey mark. On the face of it this could be a difficult festival for you but think if you can get through glastonbury without falling back you can get through pretty much anything.

I'd guess you need to replace that getting wasted buzz with a different type of buzz, maybe spend the first few days in a stupid fancy dress costume, you'll get plenty of attention from the crowd which can bring a natural high and it will allow you to act a bit silly which is always fun. I went through an entire day without touching a drop doing that and i wasnt even trying not to drink.

I reckon after a couple of days when everyone is nursing hangovers and you are feeling great you won't feel like your missing out on anything...it could be an even better festival being able to soak it all up with full memory retention.

Anyway best of luck fella

Big respect for everyone on the plan, I can empathise with the addictive side of things. I have no idea on meetings there, but charity groups may be supportive, although they're not geared to this specific area, maybe? Is there a Shepton Mallet / Somerset branch you can email to check?

Hello there,

Even if there isn't a 12 steps tent in the Healing fields I would check out some of the other healers because I reckon there will be someone who can help if the need should arise. I used to have an issue with certain opiates, 7 yrs of my youth lost, finally kicked it 9 yrs ago now and no looking back pal. You sound like you're doing well.

But, yeah, check out some of the other healers, also, the Healing fields are just a fantastic place to sit and relax amongst all the surrounding madness should you need time out.

All the very best mate.

Hi, am so glad you posted this Q, I have been making similar enquiries for the last few weeks with the festival office and NA - no-one is able to give me any definitive answers about meetings at Glastonbury. All I managed to find out was that in the past there has been something called the recovery tent in the healing fields which was basically a rolling 24/7 drop-in meeting (not sure how it's chaired etc.)

Both myself and my son are in recovery (NA) and were planning to go to Glastonbury but are very apprehensive about it's ongoing reputation as being very druggy. We have been in the past but not for about 10 years.

If we do go it will be because we manage to get in touch with enough people like you to hook up with during the festival, but we are still undecided and worried/frightened about lapse/relapse - I am only 4 months in recovery and my son has just come out of rehab.

Hope that's not TMI ! but it would be great to hear from you and/or others in the same predicament to see if there is a critical mass of mutual support. Contact me at bertieyogurt@hotmail.co.uk

Keep being good to yourself!

D-boy

Take everything you need food wise etc but don't take any cash, that way you can't buy anything naughty, and to be honest there aren't many people standing around offering illicits although there are people selling cans of drink

It's early days. A friend went to rehab for alcohol addiction and two years down the line she still doesn't hang out with us drinking crowd. She knows that one drink will put her back in the same place. You have to have some will power and I personally think that going to Glastonbury or anywhere where there is a lot of temptation early into recovery is a bad idea. That's just me though.