Guest e_p

You could always try this:

Apple:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/firechat/id719829352?mt=8

or

Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opengarden.firechat

Since:

Last but not least, firechats work even if no connection to the Internet or cellular phone coverage is available. Thanks to Open Garden’s mesh networking technology, you can chat with people around you - even if there is no Internet connection or mobile phone coverage. Whether you’re on the beach or in the subway, at a big game or a trade show, camping in the wild or at a concert, or even abroad, simply fire up the app with a friend or two and find out who else is there.

Just be mindful that this is like CB radio and EVERYONE will see your messages BUT it could be useful to ask general questions or something.

Even if the 3g/4g connection is there the bandwith will be shit, due to the amount of people using it. Although if you are only sending a message through whats app it's not much data so should pass easily. It possible though that the other person might not have there data turned on.

To conserve battery I'd say use normal text and request a delivery MSG from it (free) or just make a quick phone call.

Firechat looks like it would be an excellent idea...but it's going to be a big battery drain having the bluetooth and or wifi on all the time to make it useful.

Now if a lot of people have it installed then it will work, and most of those people will probably not know how to turn their wifi and bluetooth off anyway to save the battery. But personally I think I'll stick with the phone call and text options, everything else turned off including data so that I get longer out of the battery which will be struggling anyway due to the limited coverage also being more of a drain.