Hidden Glastonbury

dimus

Does The Rabbit Hole definitely still do the hidden area - I don't remember finding it last year when I looked.

Also, are there two tunnels under the railway line - I am familiar with the Greenpeace one but I have a feeling that there is supposed to be another around the SE Corner end somewhere...?

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was in the Rabbit Hole last year. There is a tent called the rabbit hole, but as people have said, the actual rabbit hole opens up later at night. Shouldn't be too hard to find since there was a huge queue to get into it. But answer a riddle, have some carrot vodka, crawl through a long tunnel, and it opens up into another area with bar and stage. That picture above looks like the rabbit hole i can remember.

Fatboy slim was playing in the non-secret part before we went through the rabbit hole

One year walking along the fence in one of the fields we see a red telephone box in the distance with someone go into it. As we get closer we see more people going in but no-one coming out. Strange.

Get up to it. Open the door - the inside looks just like any other red telephone box - step in and push the inside of the door which then opens up into a kind of secret little bar in the woods. That was the only way in or out. Great fun :-)

Firstly, ignore anyone who, when asked where these things are, goes "ah!", "look around X field", taps their nose or any other bollocks like that. Chances are they haven't been in them themselves.

Yeah, that's bollocks.

The problem is that there's 2 different types of hidden. The Rabbit Hole, Underground Piano bar, etc are officially sanctioned parts of the festival and so they're not exactly hidden, just hard to find or off the beaten track.

However there are still a handful of places out there where someone has created something just because they can. In those cases, it's really not a good idea to outright provide a complete location and description - the festival organisation either doesn't know about them or turns a blind eye.

The truth is that there's far less of this than there used to be, and that's almost entirely down to the festival licences being stricter, and them being enforced far more diligently over the years. Draw too much attention to the remaining "breaches" of said licence and they'll be dealt with.

Also, are there two tunnels under the railway line - I am familiar with the Greenpeace one but I have a feeling that there is supposed to be another around the SE Corner end somewhere...?

There is/was a second tunnel under the railway that I'm aware of, but it's not open to the public and I've got a suspicion it's been filled in now. It was at the bottom of Park Home. Don't think there's one in the South East Corner but I could be wrong.

Incident - so true that those 'secret' places have declined in number. Is it the license though or is it just where things are not planed so spontenaiously now... hmmm.

So that 'cattle creep' was filled in you think. Not a surprise if it was up there since its a bit of a ballache I would think to keep these safe and structurally renovated as time goes on.

So we don't know exactly where the piano bar is? My friends only found It once in 2011! I'm intrigued by a lot of these places!!

I won't spoil the fun, but if you search on YouTube on Underground Piano Bar construction you can work out where it was!

Edited by timbrass

I swear I found a nightclub/bar in my first year that was done up as a rainforest & there was a snake being passed around for pictures but never got one. Had an open smoking area too. Would have been around SE corner.

Can anyone confirm if I'm makin this up?

I always spend the Thursday naked up in the Lost Horizons area up in the Healing Fields. Saunas, sunbathing (hopefully!) and just general nudie chillin. It's not that hidden an area but not everyone knows it's there. Definitely worth a visit if you can. Oh and you don't have to like nudin' up to enjoy it. It's just a very chilled out place to go.

Bang on the walls at Shangri La. Some of them are doors to "sercet areas"

There are a number of them and they are different every year

Last year a few of us watched a short movie/performance while dancing with people dressed animals throwing gold flakes and glitter at us.

Yes I know how it sounds and yes its better if you have taken something or had a lot of alcohol if thats not your bag

One year walking along the fence in one of the fields we see a red telephone box in the distance with someone go into it. As we get closer we see more people going in but no-one coming out. Strange.

Get up to it. Open the door - the inside looks just like any other red telephone box - step in and push the inside of the door which then opens up into a kind of secret little bar in the woods. That was the only way in or out. Great fun :-)

That was probably the Bad Idea Bar, run by the people who do Secret Garden Party. Was an awesome venue, where everything was a bad idea, including the shots of brine for a quid. Gutted it didn't come back.

Soooooo the rabbit hole tent in the park is not "the rabbit hole" that people are seen climbing in and out of???

Lesson one: There is only one Rabbit Hole at Glastonbury.

Lesson two: There are many dimensions to it.

Lesson three: Some of it is only open at night.

Lesson four: All of it is never quite what it seems.

The reason they're called lessons, is because they lessen from day to day. - Lewis Carroll 1865.

One of the best thing's I ever found was a small caravan up in the Craft Field. This man had set up a small black and white television and video recorder and was playing old Doctor Who videos all weekend. My favourite tv show at my favourite place. Perfect :)

That was probably the Bad Idea Bar, run by the people who do Secret Garden Party. Was an awesome venue, where everything was a bad idea, including the shots of brine for a quid. Gutted it didn't come back.

Name sounds familiar. Aw that's a shame it's not there anymore. Didn't find it last time I was there in 2010 but it was definitely there in 2009.

No signs, no flyers, no indications of what or where it was. If you found the red telephone box and walked in you were in - brilliant!

I always spend the Thursday naked up in the Lost Horizons area up in the Healing Fields. Saunas, sunbathing (hopefully!) and just general nudie chillin. It's not that hidden an area but not everyone knows it's there. Definitely worth a visit if you can. Oh and you don't have to like nudin' up to enjoy it. It's just a very chilled out place to go.

Are you serious as I really want to do this? The OH wants to wear a bikini, is that ok?