Best Time To Leave Site?

Guest gerardfenton18

• 1 month later...

I normally get to the Site on Wednesday and leave Monday afternoon, traffic out of the car parks has normally eased by 2-3pm. Don't normally get back till way into the evening though, bloody A303.

This year myself and my missus are travelling separately, she's arriving on Friday morning, does anyone know if it will be easier for her to get out of whatever car park she's put in on Monday morning? I.e. will she be more likely to be in a field near an exit to a road?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

I always leave Monday afternoon. I'm on site so the car park thing isn't a factor I can comment on but the roads are always running smoothly by the time I get out.

I always pack up my car on the sunday, kip in the car on Sunday night and leave about 7AM monday morning - piece of piss to get onto the M5, stop at some services and sort myself out..... back in sheffield for 12:30 ish

Means taking it easier on the sunday - but thats ok, few bitters in the sun and a late night bimble around

A few years ago, I bought a breathalyser from Maplin, because of all the festivals I work at. I shelled out for what is supposed to be a good one, as my license depends on it. What I've discovered is that I process alcohol at a phenomenally fast rate, and the morning after I will be registering zero whilst everyone else is still showing 3 or 4 times the legal limit. (Road safety campaigners: relax, I tend to hang around til Monday night anyway, as I enjoy it, but it's nice to know at what time I can legally get away with driving.)

If you're planning to enjoy yourself on Sunday as well as drive early on Monday, I suggest you buy one too. And do a few experiments before Glastonbury to find out what you can get away with. There's plenty of coppers on the hunt for drink/drug-driving festival-goers on the Monday.

It's a complete lottery in my experience, I've left at the same time a number of times and at loads different times. I've queued for 7 hours to get off the car park, I've driven straight off and everything in between.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern or logic to it.

If you've got a ferry to catch my advice would be the earlier you leave the better.

Edited by Hello... I'm Johnny Cash

It's a complete lottery in my experience, I've left at the same time a number of times and at loads different times. I've queued for 7 hours to get off the car park, I've driven straight off and everything in between.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern or logic to it.

If you've got a ferry to catch my advice would be the earlier you leave the better.

• 7 years later...

we're from liechtenstein and as we're flying to bristol, taking tents etc. with us is just too much stress, specially with our 3.5y old daughter. now, we're staying at a glamping place north outside marys gate (B).

now - wednesday driving up north from the jurassic coast, we're gonna take the blue route up. millions of campervans I guess. what would be the best time driving up? in the afternoon/early evening? we love the wed stroll at glasto, but it's more important that we're not stuck in the traffic with our impatient girl. 

then, on monday we're heading to glastonbury town (energy upload 😃). the big problem seems getting out of the car parks on monday morning, right? we don't have that problem, but do you think it wouldn't be a problem driving down the blue route and then west to glastonbury town? the main traffic is going up/west or is it all stuck anyway. 2015+2016 we get up at 6am, that wasn't a problem. but now, we wouldn't mind sleeping a few hours more. 

thanks for you help! love and happiness 🥰

We drive down from Glasgow in a minibuses and have done since 2009, we`ve tried the early morning leave IE 6-7am but it means the drivers have to have a sober Sunday there`s also the problem that some of our crowd have only just got back to the camp and we`re trying to get them to pack up but they've struggling to stand up!!!! 

Now we never leave until about 4pm and stay in Glastonbury town and drive back on the Tuesday 🙂 

as to the OP post, i`d go with the 7am leave traffic won`t be too bad getting off site and once you 20-30 mile from site you`ll lose the festival traffic. you can then take a steady drive stopping for a kip when you need to.

I pack up my tent and gear on Sunday morning, take it to the lock-up closest to Gate A and then after the last bands play Sunday night, I walk about, see a movie and eventually collect my stuff from the lock-up about 4:30am and catch a shuttle to Castle Cary for an early train. I'm home and in bed by about 9/9.30am.