Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 15 minutes were just jaw dropping stuff. The silence at the end was the tip of the iceberg, as the weight of what we were watching sunk in. One of those ones when the credits start rolling, you still have the same look on your face for the next couple of minutes.

The last 15 minutes were just jaw dropping stuff. The silence at the end was the tip of the iceberg, as the weight of what we were watching sunk in. One of those ones when the credits start rolling, you still have the same look on your face for the next couple of minutes.

Completely agree, you kind of forget that it's Jon taking it in, as you're doing the same yourself. This didn't happen in the books, so it gives a really big pointer of how the next season/book is going to go - Martin had better get his finger out and start writing.

Have a feeling that might be it for the wights for this season (spend the effects budget and all that), but the prospect of them looming over the next two will weigh heavy.

Anyone else blurt out with excitement?

"Valyrian steel!!!!"

:yahoo::)

It's all well and good, but there aren't many Valyrian steel blades about in Westeros though. I guess Brienne has one up near Winterfel, and there's Joff's old one, but not sure if there are any others. Then they lost a good ole chunk of dragonglass. Doh!

Maybe the dragons will be able to kill the Wights at the end of the whole thing?

It's all well and good, but there aren't many Valyrian steel blades about in Westeros though. I guess Brienne has one up near Winterfel, and there's Joff's old one, but not sure if there are any others. Then they lost a good ole chunk of dragonglass. Doh!

Maybe the dragons will be able to kill the Wights at the end of the whole thing?

Fire would be useful against the undead for sure. Also Sam said that there was a large amount of Dragonglass at Dragonstone but I can't remember if Stannis said there is no way to get ir

I couldn't understand what they were saying at the meet so I turned the subtitles on,they even translated what the giant was saying,think I'll be doing that now on,theres a lot of mumbling in this series

I managed to catch what they were saying (does a soundbar help?) but I've lived in the Netherlands and know Scandinavians so their accents (as I think they are or are based on) are slightly more familiar. In the non-subtitle version the Giants had subtitles anyway (at least for me).

Anyone else feel the irony that Winter arrived on June 1st, the apparent first day of Summer!

Winter arrived last week with Stannis getting snowed-in.

Winter arrived last week with Stannis getting snowed-in.

Nah..........."Winter is coming" for me always meant the walkers and the walker shit hit the fan majorly this week. "Winter has arrived!"

As for killing them isnt simple fire an option? Isnt that how they killed them when those crows bodies turned in Castle Black a while back?

So its Fire, Valyrian steel and dragon glass.

Im sure the Dragons will make toast of the WWs.................

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Fire was shown to be ineffective when the white walker just seemed to extinguish it all around him, it stopped the humans in their tracks and it just walked straight through it.

Edited by Spindles

Fire was shown to be ineffective when the white walker just seemed to extinguish it all around him, it stopped the humans in their tracks and it just walked straight through it.

Yeah maybe its just the reanimated wights that can be affected by normal fire and not the walkers themselves.

However, any war with the walkers will be against mainly wights wont it? so fire would be extremely important to the battles.

How many actual white walkers is there? Not that many is there? They seem to rely on the death on their enemy to swell their armys numbers.

Dragon Fire will defo kill them but surely. Thats how I see them going anyway. There will be some killed by sword and glass, but I reckon the Dragons will be the major difference in this war..............eventually

The point of the reanimated Crows was they were wights and were vulnerable to fire, not standard weapons.

But we just faced an army of the dead where most of them were chopped-up with standard weapons (well, including being torn to bits / stomped-on by a giant). There were killed even by standard arrows.

Same thing in Season 4 when Bran was attacked by Wights... they were dispatched by ordinary weapons.

Could it be the wights in advanced stages of decay are more vulnerable to be smashed up with normal weapons, but the ones with "fresh meat" on them are just far harder to hack to pieces with ordinary weapons so fire is your best bet?

Yeah maybe its just the reanimated wights that can be affected by normal fire and not the walkers themselves.

However, any war with the walkers will be against mainly wights wont it? so fire would be extremely important to the battles.

How many actual white walkers is there? Not that many is there? They seem to rely on the death on their enemy to swell their armys numbers.

Dragon Fire will defo kill them but surely. Thats how I see them going anyway. There will be some killed by sword and glass, but I reckon the Dragons will be the major difference in this war..............eventually

1. Seems to be the case, bit of a reveal that was.

2. An ever growing number, that's the beauty of it.

3. That has to be the big question. How many were seen in that preview moment with the baby at the end of a previous series? Even if it's only a handful they have power beyond imagining. That storm that just killed the hundreds or thousands outside in a snap and then converted them to wights....Raising the dead against a foe in moments? Good luck with that.

4. Seems to be what it's all really about, really. Cannot wait for what can only be ever more spectacular battles.

armys numbers.

There is at least 13 alive. There are 13 in shot when the baby is on the altar and that isn't including the one that delivered the child. Also that reminds me, I think that any of Casters sons were turned into Walkers and not wights as if they wanted a wight they could have just killed it there and reanimated it and building an army out of reanimated dead babies isn't going to do very much :lol:

The point of the reanimated Crows was they were wights and were vulnerable to fire, not standard weapons.

But we just faced an army of the dead where most of them were chopped-up with standard weapons (well, including being torn to bits / stomped-on by a giant). There were killed even by standard arrows.

Same thing in Season 4 when Bran was attacked by Wights... they were dispatched by ordinary weapons.

Could it be the wights in advanced stages of decay are more vulnerable to be smashed up with normal weapons, but the ones with "fresh meat" on them are just far harder to hack to pieces with ordinary weapons so fire is your best bet?

I think you're right. Chopping them up will stop them but I presume that they can still be affected by the Walkers in some way (but nothing useful) but Jon did have a hard time killing the first one he encountered. He stabbed it several times and even drove a sword through its chest but it did nothing. So normal weapons would work but it just takes a long time.

Also in the very first episode didn't they find a load of severed body parts and later they had gone but then again you only saw the Walker and the reanimated girl who was impaled to a tree so it probably doesn't