Guest Glastonlocal

On 4/10/2014 at 3:27 PM, Abster said:
On 4/10/2014 at 3:22 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Not sure what song you refer to?

Thanks for the best wishes on my next art project. I might post a photo of it on here once / if I finish it.

Please do, and of some finished ones, i have so many arty ideas in my head, it might give me the impetus i need to actually start one of them.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Twaddle

At first I read your post as a response to Charm's. I realise it's not now. Thank the Lord - or some other deity. Or just because.

Sometimes I think it's a load of twaddle, and then at other times, I kind of believe in some of this stuff. However, I know full well that my desire to believe in them, might be overriding consensus reality.

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

At first I read your post as a response to Charm's. I realise it's not now. Thank the Lord - or some other deity. Or just because.

Sometimes I think it's a load of twaddle, and then at other times, I kind of believe in some of this stuff. However, I know full well that my desire to believe in them, might be overriding consensus reality.

I’m not too sure if anything is definitely true Yog, so I tend to believe in things that make me happy, seems to work as I’m a pretty cheerful person, I would recommend it to anyone. 

Charm x  

2 hours ago, Charm said:

I’m not too sure if anything is definitely true Yog,

I kind of had this discussion with my wife the other day. She asserted that there truly is no God. I asked her how she knew this ie. what facts she was using to support her view point. I went on to say that you could only know this as a fact if you were dead, which isn't the case. She then admitted that she had no facts to offer. The thing is, to my mind, nobody can offer any facts on either side of this argument. You can have the scientists saying that the Big Bang caused it all, yet they are unable to explain how those elements were created /' in existence in the first place, other than saying that they were just there. On the flip side of this the arguments that there is a God, are just based on faith, not on facts. Now a christian could say that the Bible is factual, but then that would mean that the Quran (for example) is a load of nuts. However, Muslims the world over, will say that the Bible is nuts. 

Now if we extrapolate this a little further, the Bank of America has stated on record that there's a 20 - 50% chance that we are all actually living in a 'Matrix' like simulation. And maybe, we are. But that then begs the question as to whose 'Matrix' this is? 

So to conclude, and this is only my opinion (on religion not lay lines), how can anybody have the audacity to say that there isn't a God, or that there is a God. Surely, if one had common sense, then one would have to be an agnostic. Any other view point, is untenable.

Sorry, I managed to get that on to God, but then again I've been on the G & T's (and a little bit of drug) celebrating since the Supreme Court decision earlier!

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I kind of had this discussion with my wife the other day. She asserted that there truly is no God. I asked her how she knew this ie. what facts she was using to support her view point. I went on to say that you could only know this as a fact if you were dead, which isn't the case. She then admitted that she had no facts to offer. The thing is, to my mind, nobody can offer any facts on either side of this argument. You can have the scientists saying that the Big Bang caused it all, yet they are unable to explain how those elements were created /' in existence in the first place, other than saying that they were just there. On the flip side of this the arguments that there is a God, are just based on faith, not on facts. Now a christian could say that the Bible is factual, but then that would mean that the Quran (for example) is a load of nuts. However, Muslims the world over, will say that the Bible is nuts. 

Now if we extrapolate this a little further, the Bank of America has stated on record that there's a 20 - 50% chance that we are all actually living in a 'Matrix' like simulation. And maybe, we are. But that then begs the question as to whose 'Matrix' this is? 

So to conclude, and this is only my opinion (on religion not lay lines), how can anybody have the audacity to say that there isn't a God, or that there is a God. Surely, if one had common sense, then one would have to be an agnostic. Any other view point, is untenable.

Sorry, I managed to get that on to God, but then again I've been on the G & T's (and a little bit of drug) celebrating since the Supreme Court decision earlier!

I think god is a pretty good example and I agree that no one can properly explain with actual facts rather than personal opinions as to why it does/doesn’t exist, so if my little old nan wants to believe in god through the medium of Catholicism and that makes her happy who am I to tell her she is wrong and make her feel bad. 

What we believe is up to us as individuals and as long as people aren’t hurting others because of those beliefs and they enjoy them then it’s fine by me. 

Charm x 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Charm said:

I think god is a pretty good example and I agree that no one can properly explain with actual facts rather than personal opinions as to why it does/doesn’t exist, so if my little old nan wants to believe in god through the medium of Catholicism and that makes her happy who am I to tell her she is wrong and make her feel bad. 

What we believe is up to us as individuals and as long as people aren’t hurting others because of those beliefs and they enjoy them then it’s fine by me. 

Charm x 

Agreed. I'm happy for people to believe in twaddle.

This is an excellent map showing the Saint Michael Alignment on the UK. Fascinating how many Cornish treasures there are on it. With Pilton being slightly north and east of Glastonbury, theres every chance that it would lie on this line! 

img.jpg

Edited by willutalk
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The atheist position is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods. It's not a statement of fact. Many religious apologists will paint atheists as people who claim god 100% does not exist, but that's rarely the case. They are more likely to say that they 100% don't believe in god(s) and there is 0% evidence for god(s), but these are not the same things. I don't think saying you don't believe in god(s) is necessarily audacious. I wouldn't say "I'm sure god(s) don't exist", but I certainly do not believe that they do.

Agnosticism is the position that the existence of god(s) cannot be known, which I find more of a statement on the belief that god(s) can be proven or disproved through empiricism. Personally I think that if god(s) did exist, they potentially could be proven to exist, so in that respect I am not agnostic.

These terms get confused and mis-represented far too much.

I don't believe in ley lines either. Also, I am not agnostic about them. If they did exist, I think they could be proven to exist.