Jack White?

ssimpson90

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His slot with The Dead Weather was fourth down Pyramid. Every time he's performed his band has been in the top half of the Pyramid billing, come to think about it.

That was 2010 - in 2009, they played the Park Stage, granted it was as the Surprise Guest slot!

I think it's because he hasn't announced any Euro dates yet. The fact he's announced American dates until August mean it'd be odd for him to have held back any European dates he has booked in June I'd say, and I can't see him coming over purely for Glasto.

only until the middle of June and then not again until the middle of July. So there is about a month gap currently in his tour schedule.

That new 'teaser' from the new album is so poor. It amazes me how he gets away with it. The song consists of 3 average sub-zepplin blues riffs/ licks that you learn in your first year of guitar lessons.

He hides this music behind his standard overdistorted, 'craaazy', 'low-fi' production. The vocals are simply made up on the spot; he knows they're weak so he adds loads of effects to the mix to mask them.There is absolutely no substance, all style.

Add a wacky, slow-mo video by a credible director and bingo...Everyone falls for it...

I am genuinly sorry to feel this way as I feel like a fork in a world of soup. Hope he plays as seems he would be popular..

and sub zeppelin blues riffs? They're blues riffs, like Zeppelin used to do. Except they're not a complete rip off of someone else's specific riffs without giving them credit... like Zeppelin did

They didn't nick anything anymore than many others did. Think Whole Lotta Love is the only one they didn't give credit for? And that was only a few lyrics. The song is about the riff really which is all Page.

Jack Whites nicks it too.

They didn't nick anything anymore than many others did. Think Whole Lotta Love is the only one they didn't give credit for? And that was only a few lyrics. The song is about the riff really which is all Page.

Jack Whites nicks it too.

Led Zep are one of my all time favourites but my God they "borrowed" loads. From http://www.warr.org/zep.html:

• "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
  • "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
  • "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
  • "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
  • "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
  • "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
  • "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
  • "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
  • "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
  • "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
  • "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
  • "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
  • "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
  • "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
  • "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
  • "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

You can compare some of these, and more (and see that some of them are actually fairly tenuous) here:

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

The "copying" is a good thing in my opinion. Jack White, Zeppelin, the Beatles or whoever. Taking a basic thing and turning it into something else.

Even Charlie Patton was accused of it. "Took every step" from an unrecorded bluesman called Henry Sloan. According to Son House anyway. And that was nearly 100 years ago! Theres always continuity.

Went to Pattons grave last September. A spooky place. Like looking at the elements all condensed before the big bang happened. In one small space in the absolute middle of nowhere in Mississippi.

30jqzgw.jpg

Led Zep are one of my all time favourites but my God they "borrowed" loads. From http://www.warr.org/zep.html:

Excellent stuff. Very interesting. Didn't know a lot of that.

But yeah, stretching it a bit in places isn't it? Zeppelin were quite naive. A lot of the blues and folk stuff that came before them was credited "trad/artist" so I think they just thought they'd get away with it like a lot of people before them.

Also, I think by the time Zeppelin hit, a lot of the old blues guys had been rediscovered so it wasn't as revelatory to people to hear that sort of music as it would've been when the Stones started and were championing Howlin' Wolf in America etc. It was cool not to like it by then. Certainly in America anyway.

Jack Whites stuff is as influenced as anyone elses too.

That Bobby Parker riff yeah. Nothing like John Estes really. But Lennon ripped it off for I Feel fine years before Zeppelin did!

Puzzling. The White Stripes live were frequently a thrilling prospect, but the the J. White solo gig I saw last year was withoubt doubt the most snoozeworthy show I've paid in to for many a moon. The setlist reads good on paper, but in the flesh it was moribund to a fault.

Did he play the Blunderbuss stuff? I was tempted to go see him but it was in the O2 in Dublin which is one of the worst venues ever for a rock show.

Edited by The Nal

Puzzling. The White Stripes live were frequently a thrilling prospect, but the the J. White solo gig I saw last year was withoubt doubt the most snoozeworthy show I've paid in to for many a moon. The setlist reads good on paper, but in the flesh it was moribund to a fault.

He's nothing without Meg White's drumming.

Did he play the Blunderbuss stuff? I was tempted to go see him but it was in the O2 in Dublin which is one of the worst venues ever for a rock show.

It was a mix of stuff from right across his career. The venue didn't help, certainly.

He's nothing without Meg White's drumming.

This fits with the available evidence.

which show was it? I enjoyed all 5 I went to, but the one in Edinburgh was almost ruined by poor sound. Edited by III

which show was it? I enjoyed all 5 I went to, but the one in Edinburgh was almost ruined by poor sound.

Yup - Usher Hall. I don't particulalrly recall any specific sound *issues*, but it definitely lacked welly.

(At least, compared to the White Stripes at the Liquid Room back in about the year 2001!)

Yup - Usher Hall. I don't particulalrly recall any specific sound *issues*, but it definitely lacked welly.

(At least, compared to the White Stripes at the Liquid Room back in about the year 2001!)

the issue was you couldn't hear his vocals. That was my least fave show of the run.

Omg 6 music speculating he's on the Other? As long as it isn't Friday night.