Jack White?

ssimpson90

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you basing that on? Or do you mean he has yet to headline a UK festival?

I think the first thing to point out is that whether you're able to headline a UK festival is in no way relevant to your quality, hence why we've got Kasabian this year.

I think him having yet to headline a UK festival comes into it, as does his lack of playing big venues solo (Alexandra Palace is his biggest isn't it?), and although his first record eventually got to number one, the singles off it failed completely, all things which usually add up to a headliner.

I'd much rather him than others, but he's really someone they'd turn to if they had nobody else there.

Thinking about it now, and trying not to bring a downer to this thread, I'm really struggling to see where he could play. AFAIK as I know, Friday is AF and Elbow and Skrillex and Pixies, leaving no space for him on that day, unless he played JPT, which would be rammed, I really couldn't see him headlining against Metallica if that is accurate, and can't see them putting him as sub to them, and I can't see him headlining Other against Kasabian, and as much as I'm sure Jack would love to sub Other against Black Keys subbing Pyramid, I definitely can't see that happening.

I think the first thing to point out is that whether you're able to headline a UK festival is in no way relevant to your quality, hence why we've got Kasabian this year.

I think him having yet to headline a UK festival comes into it, as does his lack of playing big venues solo (Alexandra Palace is his biggest isn't it?), and although his first record eventually got to number one, the singles off it failed completely, all things which usually add up to a headliner.

I'd much rather him than others, but he's really someone they'd turn to if they had nobody else there.

Thinking about it now, and trying not to bring a downer to this thread, I'm really struggling to see where he could play. AFAIK as I know, Friday is AF and Elbow and Skrillex and Pixies, leaving no space for him on that day, unless he played JPT, which would be rammed, I really couldn't see him headlining against Metallica if that is accurate, and can't see them putting him as sub to them, and I can't see him headlining Other against Kasabian, and as much as I'm sure Jack would love to sub Other against Black Keys subbing Pyramid, I definitely can't see that happening.

why do you think they wouldn't have him sub Metallica?

If we want to put a real downer on the thread, I'd be surprised if he tours Europe at all this summer as he'd surely have been announced for a few places already and he seems intent on working on new material for all of his bands, his lack of touring suggests he's doing that. Plus we've got to a point, as you said, where there isn't much space for him bar a one-off special guest slot.

Also, Pixies aren't certainly Friday I don't think. I bloody hope not anyway.

If they have booked a saturday act to sub, who could step up to headline if their main options fell through, he'd be a good choice for that, though I just can't see it

It'd be good but I think the two subs we know already are probably better placed, sadly.

why do you think they wouldn't have him sub Metallica?

Firstly, Glastonbury rarely put similar acts and subs together, supposedly to ensure crowd movement.

Secondly, you can counter what I said however, by pointing out that it appears the top two on the other two days (AF+Elbow and Kasabian and Black Keys) are fairly similar, however, this makes me think there's no way they'd book all six of the top acts on the Pyramid to be relatively similar acts (disputable I know).

Thirdly, I think it's going to be hard enough to sell Metallica to certain elements of the crowd as it is. Jack White is approaching the heavier end of the spectrum (again disputable, but to the usual Pyramid goer, listening to that new track, there won't be that much difference between that and Metallica).

Also, Pixies aren't certainly Friday I don't think. I bloody hope not anyway.

Since when are Pixies Friday?

Ahh my mistake, I thought them and Skrillex (it pains me to type those words) were nailed for Friday.

I really couldn't see him headlining against Metallica if that is accurate,

actually, i think he'd be one of the very very few acts that i could see on before Metallica on the Pyramid. I think JW would welcome the challenge and he'd do well. I can't see anyone else comfortably fitting into that spot, not even Pixies who i think are Other State material... give Jack White the "special guest" label, (like Kasabian in 09) and he'll be good for it

Jack White would fit the bill as a sub booked who could potentially step up to headline and not look completely out of place (due to all his back catalogue with various acts) but I feel that the Saturday sub spot is Paolo for the reasons as already discussed. He's big enough (sold a lot), more of a 'pop/mainstream' appeal compared to some of the other big acts on the Pyramid and he played 3rd last time - I'm sure the new album will do well as he is still getting daytime airplay across all the major stations - so would make sense for him to move up the bill.

actually, i think he'd be one of the very very few acts that i could see on before Metallica on the Pyramid. I think JW would welcome the challenge and he'd do well. I can't see anyone else comfortably fitting into that spot, not even Pixies who i think are Other State material... give Jack White the "special guest" label, (like Kasabian in 09) and he'll be good for it

But as I pointed out, i don't think that would work genre wise, and I certainly don't think that would work in crowd movement. You can say all the things in the world about Rokskilde and how things have changed, but Glastonbury will be shitting it that Saturday, and I think they'll be trying everything possible to ensure a changeover of people.

Anyone got Mr Rascal's number?

I would doubt Metallica's sub has anything to do with Metallica. We've heard they were originally set to headline the Other Stage and a number of other acts were lined up to headline the Pyramid that evening, so you'd think the sub will have been booked before Metallica were moved up.

I would doubt Metallica's sub has anything to do with Metallica. We've heard they were originally set to headline the Other Stage and a number of other acts were lined up to headline the Pyramid that evening, so you'd think the sub will have been booked before Metallica were moved up.

Then again you could argue the case that the Saturday sub in general would be a different direction to the other two subs to add variety. Plus Paolo (or it could still be PSB) into Prince I think would have still helped to split the crowd.

Yeah, I realise that, and wasn't the sub on Saturday meant to be a slightly pop act anyway, hence the PSB predictions?

However, I really wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the Pyramid, if Metallica do headline, is as far away from Metallica on the musical spectrum as possible, something I wouldn't say suits Jack White.

Maybe Rolf will be getting a call. If he didn't do it for free before, I can imagine he'd probably pay Glastonbury to pay now.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Jack White has played Glasto loads in the past, so reckon he'd be a great shout, and don't think he's too fussed where he plays - he's headlined with the White Stripes, done a mid afternoon slot with the Raconteurs, and played the Park with the Dead Weather. Easily one of the best acts I've seen - his last tour (and album) was amazing, so I'd bloody love it if he plays, wherever and whenever it would be!

Jack White has played Glasto loads in the past, so reckon he'd be a great shout, and don't think he's too fussed where he plays - he's headlined with the White Stripes, done a mid afternoon slot with the Raconteurs, and played the Park with the Dead Weather. Easily one of the best acts I've seen - his last tour (and album) was amazing, so I'd bloody love it if he plays, wherever and whenever it would be!

His slot with The Dead Weather was fourth down Pyramid. Every time he's performed his band has been in the top half of the Pyramid billing, come to think about it.