Weather

matt_berr

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I know everyone mentions the flash floods in 2005, but in 2007 it started raining friday morning and never stopped, I remember waking up sunday morning and wishing i was home, FIRST and may i say LAST time thats ever happened at glastonbury

It was very tiring that year.

This will be my 29th Glastonbury { yes I cant believe it myself but I have the wristbands to prove it }
I don't worry about what its like while its being held - its the next five weeks that things can dictate what the ground will be like - rain itself is no bother to me but time and time again its the mud that gets me { very understandable with two previous heart attacks/stroke's }
if it had been held this weekend we would be laughing but next weekend the BBC are claiming there will be showers - how heavy they are is another matter so we may be lucky.

C'mon mr glasto-worker, half full not half empty. The mud can be a huge drain but you just adapt, pace yourself and overcome; look after yourself fella and happy 29th!

I take it your not sixty with two previous heart attacks ?
its fuck all to do with pacing myself - I found myself trapped in 2011 just going down from the old railway track { the slope down to the Other stage } and I knew I would never reach the Pyramid stage to see U2 and there was tons of younger people really struggling in that same area.
The point I am talking about was like quicksand and was far deeper than normal due to the slope.
I would have to be off my fucking head to try and keep going and then having to be picked up by a Medical unit
and that was not the muddiest year - 1985 takes that Crown.
I know my limitations and when the mud on the route I need to use just makes it to heart straining to try and get though - I will divert somewhere else.
thanks for the wishes.

and that was not the muddiest year - 1985 takes that Crown.

Was 1985 the year Bob Geldof made the bad mistake on taking to the Pyramid Stage dressed all in white? With all the mud around, it didn't stay that way for long.

It was my first Glastonbury and it rained pretty much non-stop. I spent quite a lot of my time in the Cabaret Tent that year.

Here's hoping for a dry one.

Was 1985 the year Bob Geldof made the bad mistake on taking to the Pyramid Stage dressed all in white? With all the mud around, it didn't stay that way for long.

It was my first Glastonbury and it rained pretty much non-stop. I spent quite a lot of my time in the Cabaret Tent that year.

Here's hoping for a dry one.

yes he was with The Boomtown Rats - but of course at that time there was no crash barriers so people could get bloody close ' and a few people even climbed up onto the stage '
1982 was bad but 1985 takes the biscuit - its the first and only year I saw tractors pulling out people who had falling in the mud as it was near impossible to stand up - when leaving I even spotted a tractor being pulled out the mud by a bigger tractor.
Did you ever get up to the Reggae Tent ? if you were not stoned before you walked in ' you would be by the time you sat down '
1986 and 1987 was also wet but not the same mud as 1985 - I was driving a mini { four adults in the car } - I think I tossed them out and I went for it and when I reached solid ground I stopped and loaded them - one of my Mates who is not a driver complained all the way back to London - I was very tempted to kick him out - there is no way that mini would have moved if I left it fully loaded.
that guy { unofficial mechanic } with the motorbike with the little trailer was making a fortune giving people a jump start - I did not need one but I heard he was charging £20 - which was £4 more than the Glasto ticket price.
You had to pick that year as your first time -

glasto-85-pond.jpg

glasto-85-push.jpg

glasto-85-bus-mud.jpg

yes he was with The Boomtown Rats - but of course at that time there was no crash barriers so people could get bloody close ' and a few people even climbed up onto the stage '

Did you ever get up to the Reggae Tent ? if you were not stoned before you walked in ' you would be by the time you sat down '

He,he - thanks for the photos - brought back a lot of memories, some good, some not so!

Yeah, I remember the Pyramid having no barriers. That roller mechanism at the top to try and stop people clambering on to the stage was amusing. Most seemed to view it as a sort of challenge.

Didn't go in the Reggae Tent (that I can remember), but the Cinema Tent was very similar. Walk in - float out.

WHAT IN THE WEATHER GODS NAME IS ALL THIS HERETICAL FUCKING 'SCIENCE / METEORLOGICAL' BOLLOCKS???!!!

NFR NFC is the only true path to salvation.

Come...join us. Kneel at the feet of the Weather Gods, seek redemption and be granted sun-kissed enlightenment.

Weirdos.

glasto-worker which would you say were the top 5 worst glastoburys for mud?

The first three (04, 05 & 07) I went to were all wet, but I think 07 was the only one where I'd had enough by the Sunday night and wanted to go home. (driver was 8 pints and 2 pills down so no way could we go home that night.)

2011 was pretty difficult navigating around as it was basically a reverse of the 2007 weather!