Weirdest thing you've seen at Glastonbury Festival?

Woffy

1 hour ago, sime said:

The alley ways were great. I miss them too. I still think it's a great area to have at the festival but it's definitely lost a lot of its magic.

I remember the alleyways in 09 being particularly fantastic. It wasn't hellishly busy back then and and there was some great stuff going on in them. 09 was just a brilliant year all round. 

3 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I've recounted this before on here but in 2009, Shangri-La had a very other-worldly vibe to it. The hidden doorways, the mini-theatrical performances, the oxygen bar and the dentist chair etc. It felt really dystopian and alien at times.

I remember early hours of Sunday morning being in a secret room about 8 feet square with a young woman in a tweed suit/hat combo and fake 'tache selling bloody marys from a water cooler whilst a guy with a guitar sang protest songs in a west country accent in the opposite corner.  I then remember playing the devil at ping pong for my soul and winning tequila shots. I remember stumbling down a tiny corridor after walking through a no entry doorway in a room full of cassette players (ask your parents) and coming out into a beer garden with a water feature with a bar selling real ale. That was without any doubt, the strangest and one of the most wonderful nights of my life.

Shame that Shangri-La doesn't seem like that now.  It's just a collection of dance music venues and the oddness seems to have evaporated.  Either that or I'm too dumb/drunk/old to find them.

@H.M.V  ... given your photo you posted in NFR NFC a few days ago - was this you? :)

20 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

I remember the alleyways in 09 being particularly fantastic. It wasn't hellishly busy back then and and there was some great stuff going on in them. 09 was just a brilliant year all round. 

I agree. 2009 was vintage. Blur. Oh Blur...! The alleys used to be a great place to wander around and discover things. I still have hanging up, a really cool set of dark burgundy and black large beads and glass stones all attached together. It was hanging on one of the alley way roofs with other ones with a sign on the wall by them saying "take me". So I did :)

Edited by sime

2014  at The Park, whilst waiting to see Thunderbirds are go, two blokes next to me - who also had two women with them.

The two blokes each pulled a tall - highball? - glass from their packs and proceeded to make two bloody marys

Ice - ? Thought this was almost impossible to get at Glasto

Vodka

Tomato juice

Worcester sauce

Tabasco Sauce

Celery salt - ffs, who carries celery salt with them

Stick of celery

Stick of carrot

I texted my wife. She asked 'are they glamping?'

How the f*** would I know

38 minutes ago, airwaves said:

2014  at The Park, whilst waiting to see Thunderbirds are go, two blokes next to me - who also had two women with them.

The two blokes each pulled a tall - highball? - glass from their packs and proceeded to make two bloody marys

Ice - ? Thought this was almost impossible to get at Glasto

Vodka

Tomato juice

Worcester sauce

Tabasco Sauce

Celery salt - ffs, who carries celery salt with them

Stick of celery

Stick of carrot

I texted my wife. She asked 'are they glamping?'

How the f*** would I know

Two of my mates always bring the full ingredients for making Bloody Mary's with them to Glastonbury. They normally drink it first thing in the morning though.

On 4/9/2016 at 2:58 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Two of my mates always bring the full ingredients for making Bloody Mary's with them to Glastonbury. They normally drink it first thing in the morning though.

that's dedication, I can't even take the ingredients and or Cup for a morning brew.

2014 Friday night after Arcade Fire, my friend and I walked towards the SE corner and ended up in the circus big top.  

After the compere had finished trying to blow up a rubber glove on his head with his nose, he introduced an all male strip act to the largely family audience.  I say largely family audience in that the whole front row were children.

One part of this strip act had a man dressed as a stereotypical 'nerd' outfit complete with propeller cap and broken glasses.  He proceeded to slowly strip as he did tricks with a yo-yo and then finished a Rubik's cube in about 10 seconds.  As he stripped to the point where he had nothing but a sheath covering his gentleman's region, he decided to whip the yo-yo around his tackle, to the shock and surprise of the children immediately in front of him.

Having seen enough we wandered out and watched a 20/30 foot puppet show with cars dressed as rats blasting out Sympathy for the Devil and a family band with banjos playing metal/rock covers, ending in the village disco dancing to 90s dance tunes with all sorts of formation dancing.

Also, 2011 on my way to my steward shift, wandering through the pyramid field and noticed an 60/70 year old hippy with no top on crying his eyes out.  Worried about him, we decided to see if he needed any help.  As it turned out, it was the 'beautiful music' that had moved him so much.  I think it was the Low Anthem playing, but can't be 100%. 

On 03/04/2016 at 9:16 PM, ogriff said:

That's probably the work of Jonathan Kay. He's in the Astrolabe every day, always a festival highlight. Corrals everyone into fun silly acts in the surrounding fields. 

A highlight every year, check him out you won't regret it

Thanks for that - if I do manage to get a ticket at least I'll know who I'm looking for!  

28 minutes ago, craigh1 said:

2014 Friday night after Arcade Fire, my friend and I walked towards the SE corner and ended up in the circus big top.  

After the compere had finished trying to blow up a rubber glove on his head with his nose, he introduced an all male strip act to the largely family audience.  I say largely family audience in that the whole front row were children.

One part of this strip act had a man dressed as a stereotypical 'nerd' outfit complete with propeller cap and broken glasses.  He proceeded to slowly strip as he did tricks with a yo-yo and then finished a Rubik's cube in about 10 seconds.  As he stripped to the point where he had nothing but a sheath covering his gentleman's region, he decided to whip the yo-yo around his tackle, to the shock and surprise of the children immediately in front of him.

Having seen enough we wandered out and watched a 20/30 foot puppet show with cars dressed as rats blasting out Sympathy for the Devil and a family band with banjos playing metal/rock covers, ending in the village disco dancing to 90s dance tunes with all sorts of formation dancing.

Also, 2011 on my way to my steward shift, wandering through the pyramid field and noticed an 60/70 year old hippy with no top on crying his eyes out.  Worried about him, we decided to see if he needed any help.  As it turned out, it was the 'beautiful music' that had moved him so much.  I think it was the Low Anthem playing, but can't be 100%. 

And this I think will be my go-to post if anyone asks me why I want to go to Glastonbury!