Lana Del Rey ( confirmed ) :)

Guest ksalem

7 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Its 52 on a Saturday night with breakfast for 2 adults and a child, plus parking.

We couldn't afford to offer that. Costs is £12.50 just for the linens in the room and prices have just gone up 4%. Breakfast another 10-15£. Rent, insurance, maintenance, fire regs, health and safety, electric and gas. Business rates and paying for bins. That's before wages and most don't even make minimum wage if you count the hours involved in running. 

Can't see that they are making any money. Staying afloat would be best description. 

Anyway, shame about LDR. Hope she recovers in time for the farm. 

Edit to add, b.con take between 15 and 20% commission. 

Edited by H.M.V

• 2 months later...

Currently massacring herself on social media. Near enough said ‘I’m not racist, I listen to tons of black music’. Oh dear.

Not the greatest album announcement...

edit: sorry to get any hopes up - not re-confirmed to take the Morrissey sub slot just yet.

Edited by FloorFiller

As someone who is so conscious of how I word things and always considers how easily things can be misinterpreted in text and does my best to avoid that, her original post made me want to set myself on fire. It was a disaster.

The "stan-wars" that have ensued only highlighted to me that Lana's teen fandom is rabid and insane. I am too old for this shit. I'm just going to sit it out and enjoy her tunes like I always have. Also intrigued for the new album, but not entirely convinced that it will appear when she says it will.

Eh, I dunno how bad this is really. I think a lot of celebrities need to know when to just stop on social media and understand when they're digging a hole, but I don't think she should be crucified here. Strikes me as something that will blow over fairly quickly and I certainly don't think she is a racist by any stretch. I tend not to get my pitchfork out when it's clear there's no intentional malice in the remarks - we're all guilty of poor wording and not getting our point across clearly. And it's worth remembering Lana has had more than her fair share of unwarranted negative criticism, so I can certainly see how she would react quite angrily to this and spiral. Should she have made the remarks? No. Should she be dragged through the mud? Nah. 

And hey, new album coming is great news. Hopefully puts her firmly in the frame for a tour next year, and reappearance 🤞

It was a crass statement, no need to name drop those women in there, it didn't help her point at all and obviously was a PR disaster. 

But my god, the people calling her out for racism need to give their heads a shake, it cheapens the whole argument. She issued a statement essentially saying she wants to write what she wants like other women have, she phrased it horrendously and it came across as derogatory but to call it racism is an impressive leap of the imagination. 

I'd always call out sexism, racism whatever if I saw it, no place for it in this world but this whole cancel culture for any slight misinterpretation of someone's words and actions is beyond ridiculous and doesn't help the cause at all.

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

It was a crass statement, no need to name drop those women in there, it didn't help her point at all and obviously was a PR disaster. 

But my god, the people calling her out for racism need to give their heads a shake, it cheapens the whole argument. She issued a statement essentially saying she wants to write what she wants like other women have, she phrased it horrendously and it came across as derogatory but to call it racism is an impressive leap of the imagination. 

I'd always call out sexism, racism whatever if I saw it, no place for it in this world but this whole cancel culture for any slight misinterpretation of someone's words and actions is beyond ridiculous and doesn't help the cause at all.

Aye. Clumsy ≠ malice.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can someone give me the jisy in a few sentences?

Had a bit of a moan about how she got a lot of grief for ‘glamourising’ domestic abuse and named a bunch of female artists with number one singles with similar themes in their music, most of whom were women of colour which has obviously been picked up by the media. She then doubled down on what she said in an even clumsier second statement which didn’t help things at all.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Did anyone even bring it up? Seemed to me like a 2am rant on twitter after a few glasses of wine. We’ve all done it.

Aye I'm not really sure what sparked it other than her wanting to have her new album announcement preceded by a long and meaningful statement on how she's sick of her portrayal in the media. In a way she's proven the exact point she was trying to, albeit in an incredibly hamfisted and oblivious way. The follow up statement is the real cringe fest here and she really shouldn't have had such a knee jerk reaction to the criticism she received. 

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Had a bit of a moan about how she got a lot of grief for ‘glamourising’ domestic abuse and named a bunch of female artists with number one singles with similar themes in their music, most of whom were women of colour which has obviously been picked up by the media. She then doubled down on what she said in an even clumsier second statement which didn’t help things at all.

Gotcha, ta.

Aside from the needless naming of other artists, I just wish she had better emphasised "I am not not a feminist" as obviously so many people have jumped off at "not a feminist".

FFS, Lana! Put the NOTs in bold. Underline them. Write "I am not "not a feminist"..." (as I think she was getting at the accusation that has been flung at her many times).

Anything other than just writing "not not" - the notes app is no place for a clumsy double negative..

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Aside from the needless naming of other artists, I just wish she had better emphasised "I am not not a feminist" as obviously so many people have jumped off at "not a feminist".

FFS, Lana! Put the NOTs in bold. Underline them. Write "I am not "not a feminist"..." (as I think she was getting at the accusation that has been flung at her many times).

Anything other than just writing "not not" - the notes app is no place for a clumsy double negative..

Or how about just "I am a feminist"?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She’s not chiding those singers for singing about what they sing about, not are those women ashamed, so why shouldn’t she name them?

It’s funny because she’s clearly named them all due to them all being big names and having huge singles recently, and most of them happen to be women of colour which should be celebrated, but instead due to her subject matter and wording it’s been painted as her pointing fingers. 

• Upvote 1