Lana Del Rey ( confirmed ) :)

Guest ksalem

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Guys I'm actually here.

Quiet you.  You should know better than anyone that the roastee just sits there and takes their medicine.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've fully accepted that this won't be for me.  I don't really get her on record, and reviews don't point to them suddenly coming alive and pulling in the previously undecided in a live environment. 

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Why so negative, man? All you do is disparage.

Not at all. I also do puns.

Merely a conversational point anyhoo.  I'm not saying she's bad or owt, as there's quite clearly a significant number of fans and critics who find her amazing.  I'm just engaging in the discussion, and the review you linked to has solidified my thinking on the topic.

EDIT: I guess what I mean is that if conversation threads on here are only for those with positive stuff to say, every thread becomes nothing but a love-in echo chamber for how amazing stuff is, n'est ce pas?

Edited by Quark

Does sound like a set that'll be better suited for the Sunday than the Friday night. I'm a bit torn on whether she should continue to plough her own furrow* or should meet the audience halfway.  There's definitely potential for her to pull a Radiohead / Gorillaz and alienate the fence-sitters.

*Madam

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I've fully accepted that this won't be for me.  I don't really get her on record, and reviews don't point to them suddenly coming alive and pulling in the previously undecided in a live environment. 

She's definitely at her best in the studio, so if you don't like her on record, I probably wouldn't bother unless you are prepared to get near the front.

I've always enjoyed her live, but she doesn't have a huge, powerhouse voice, doesn't do much on stage, and doesn't interact with the crowd much beyond the front row. That's just who she is. Anyone going in expecting something else may well be disappointed.

I'll be down in the pit, probably giftless, unless she fancies a warm tin of Dead Pony Club or a semi-melted Wispa.

As a bald man can I just say; fuck this stock t-shirt model with the fabulous hair who seems to appear every time I buy a tee online. 

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Might get one of these to go with my T. Swift T. shirt and just rep queens all weekend.

ra,unisex_tshirt,x2200,9ec0d5:0d26d5c715

Read a review of LDR the other day after she was confirmed.

Went along the lines of "She's a one trick pony...but what a fucking trick!"

21 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

As a bald man can I just say; fuck this stock t-shirt model with the fabulous hair who seems to appear every time I buy a tee online. 

Bet he can't grow a beard like you though, Swedgey.

FTR I thought she was great at GF2014. There was a lot of sniping about whether she could sing live when that first album or two came out, and there was a slight atmosphere of ‘well, prove yourself, let’s see what the fuss is about’. I thought she smashed it, quite effortlessly. 

27 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Seeing her a week tomorrow and still no support act? Anyone heard anything?

In the past her UK supports have ranged from her then boyfriend's band to nobody at all. The US leg of this had local bands I think. Has she never heard of the lucrative endeavour known as the tour buy-on?

30 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

In the past her UK supports have ranged from her then boyfriend's band to nobody at all. The US leg of this had local bands I think. Has she never heard of the lucrative endeavour known as the tour buy-on?

Hmmm so we still expecting a 9ish start for her or earlier if no support? Got a fair drive after work! 

49 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Yeah she had “locals” open on lots of those shows but had Lucy Dacus and Joan Baez as openers for 2 of the dates. She has  had one tour that had notable openers but that was almost 5 years ago when she branched out and did large venues.