Wolf Alice

Pilgrim S

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I think they’re going the same way as Foals where they’re a big band in the British indie/guitar scene but never gonna reach headliner level. Could definitely see them getting Other headliner next time round.

I think a lot of people here think that becoming a headliner is a matter of fairness, which unfortunately it isn’t. The festival is in the business of handing out headline slots to acts who have worked very hard despite falling short of the commercial success needed for the job. It may have been what they did in the 00’s, but we are in a different world now. 

Foals have played absolutely everywhere for years and they do a good job with their live set, that means they MUST headline because that’s what’s fair. Unfortunately it’s not how it works. 

Saying an act will never headline is often interpreted here as a dig at the band too, which it isn’t, it’s just an observation of what’s happening. It’s also acknowledging that there is more to what makes a headliner than how good they are live. 

Also with the sheer size of headliners Glastonbury can pull now, I can’t see them taking the chance on a band clearly not big enough ever again. Any act they take a chance on will be an act sure to become a headliner at some point, but maybe giving it to them earlier than we expect (Billie for example being given the gig as a punt that Happier Than Ever would be massive). 

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Mark H said:

Really enjoyed this set in 2022 and hoping they get a new album out and pop up next year.

Other sub? Third from top on the pointy one? Woodsies headline?

I think next year is too soon, but 2025 a possibility after an album next year.

It will depend on how the next album does.... It could be massive and push them upwards, but my feeling is they may forever be a really good indie rock band that doesn't break through into mainstream hugeness. It just seems their style is not the kind of thing that goes mega these days, although I suppose Sam Fender is also doing guitar rock and is pushing towards headlining the pyramid.

Actually would love to see them headline Woodsies or maybe the park.

23 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

It will depend on how the next album does.... It could be massive and push them upwards, but my feeling is they may forever be a really good indie rock band that doesn't break through into mainstream hugeness. It just seems their style is not the kind of thing that goes mega these days, although I suppose Sam Fender is also doing guitar rock and is pushing towards headlining the pyramid.

Actually would love to see them headline Woodsies or maybe the park.

Controversial but I think Sam Fender stuff is borderline pop...so much more mainstream so that probably why.

Wolf Alice are my favourites. Love their original, theatrical sound. Right up my street. I also love Pink Floyd...I find them a similar vibe to listen to...immersive.

Seen Wolf Alice live several times but would always choose them over anyone else on the farm x

16 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Controversial but I think Sam Fender stuff is borderline pop...so much more mainstream so that probably why.

Wolf Alice are my favourites. Love their original, theatrical sound. Right up my street. I also love Pink Floyd...I find them a similar vibe to listen to...immersive.

Seen Wolf Alice live several times but would always choose them over anyone else on the farm x

I think Sam Fender and Wolf Alice are both guitar based pop,  probably just the difference between being influenced by arena acts like springsteen, strokes,  killers and oasis or alt rock stuff like my bloody valentine, the cure and hole. 

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Sadly i think you may be right. If they were going to be active next year we would probably know by now as many festivals are starting to announce.

I watched their 2022 set again last night as an appeasement to the Glastonbury Ticket Goddess and it was just so good! 

1 hour ago, Mark H said:

Sadly i think you may be right. If they were going to be active next year we would probably know by now as many festivals are starting to announce.

I watched their 2022 set again last night as an appeasement to the Glastonbury Ticket Goddess and it was just so good! 

Late summer maybe? But yeah the options are starting to run out a little bit. You do believe they'll be back next year given Blue Weekend was quite a while ago now tbf.

Certainly I hope if they have a UK tour anytime soon there isn't a f**king storm making it impossible for me to get to where they're playing as happened in February of last year.