Wolf Alice

Pilgrim S

Love the new record. Never gave any attention to album one or two but the new one is fantastic. Some great tunes on there. Gutted that Lpool is sold out but I'm sure I'll be able to pick up a ticket nearer the time as everyone is poor in January so!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but Fantano hated it.

To anyone who follows him I think Fantano seems to be drifting away from UK rock/indie, and I can’t think of a release from a UK band he’s liked in recent years. He’s really not a fan of Foals etc. He’s much more into hip hop and experimental now and I feel like I disagree with him a lot on reviews now 😂

I think the fact that you only have to look at the relatively few amount of acts that have a thread dedicated to them (I know this thread is originally older but the new album has brought it back into focus) shows the hype around them - even the proportionately small amount of users on this forum want to discuss them, and that makes them commercially more attractive - that will be reflected in the wider world. We're all music fans on here, and whether you like a band or not, the fact that there is this level of discussion shows that there's something special there. 

This latest release has made them relevant and current, and I really can't see them being anywhere other than sub-Pyramid/Other headliner this summer.

59 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

To anyone who follows him I think Fantano seems to be drifting away from UK rock/indie, and I can’t think of a release from a UK band he’s liked in recent years. He’s really not a fan of Foals etc. He’s much more into hip hop and experimental now and I feel like I disagree with him a lot on reviews now 😂

I don’t know who he is.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t know who he is.

American music reviewer been going for like 10 years. Gave My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy a 6/10 and Damn by Kendrick Lamar a 7

10 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Me neither.

I lost a lot of respect for Fantano when he described Agnes by Glass Animals as a "happy" song.

On a side note; after a lot of access code fuckery I got a ticket to see the Blue Weekend premiere in London on Thursday! They're doing an acoustic set after so it's simultaneously going to be my first gig/trip to the cinema in well over a year. 

Edited by Hutchmaster

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Is there a reason why anyone cares what he thinks?

I’m a big fan of his shows on music and he has a great platform for music discussion 🙂 Strong following too.

But obviously like every critic he has a few head scratchers.  His taste is quite hard to predict as well.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m a big fan of his shows on music and he has a great platform for music discussion 🙂 Strong following too.

But obviously like every critic he has a few head scratchers.  His taste is quite hard to predict as well.

Watched a bit of that guy talking WA but it's not for me. I've never been a fan of some spod filming themselves and declaring themselves a "reviewer", always find them condescending. If people enjoy that sort of thing good luck to them.

1 hour ago, EssexIndie said:

I think the fact that you only have to look at the relatively few amount of acts that have a thread dedicated to them (I know this thread is originally older but the new album has brought it back into focus) shows the hype around them - even the proportionately small amount of users on this forum want to discuss them, and that makes them commercially more attractive - that will be reflected in the wider world. We're all music fans on here, and whether you like a band or not, the fact that there is this level of discussion shows that there's something special there. 

This latest release has made them relevant and current, and I really can't see them being anywhere other than sub-Pyramid/Other headliner this summer.

I really wouldn't use this forum in anyway as a meter for popularity, the reason they're being discussed more is because they've been mentioned by Emily, they have a new album and the main factor, there is an actual discussion on where they would place. There's not TOO Much to talk about regarding the festival next year, so people wanna talk about it. 

I can see them as a very strong 3rd Pyramid and a weak pyramid sub. 

Absolutely blown away by the new record, the first 3 tracks give me a real Lana vibe and that is no bad thing.  Delicious things and How can I make it OK really stand out to me as being songs I just can't get out of my head.  Corker of an album for me, very much looking forward to hearing these songs live.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is there a reason why anyone cares what he thinks?

Think he's the most influential music reviewer on the internet. I don't really listen to his album reviews (would rather just listen to an album and make up my own mind), but I always check out his end of year reviews and normally discover a few really good albums from it.

9 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Think he's the most influential music reviewer on the internet. I don't really listen to his album reviews (would rather just listen to an album and make up my own mind), but I always check out his end of year reviews and normally discover a few really good albums from it.

I get all my recommendations from here these days.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah that’s a clanger from melon. 

i generally can’t stand his non-hip hop/electronic reviews. He uses them as 6 - 14 minute opportunities to drop in as many references to older acts as he can muster.

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I get all my recommendations from here these days.

Yep me too! Found much more, and better music since joining this site.

Who cares about some dork on YouTube when there are plenty of better dorks here?

For me, Wolf alice are a perfect example of this.  I first heard of them from the buzz on this site and just one of the fantastic artists I've come across from reading here.  I think this site has been the driver of what I have listened to for years.

14 minutes ago, st dan said:

Can’t stop listening to Lipstick On The Glass. The chorus is a real ear worm. 

Definitely. My 10 year was not impressed at first when I had it playing in the car on Sunday morning, and he spent the rest of the day singing it.  Keeps asking me to put it on now when leaving him to school 😂

• Upvote 1