Wolf Alice

Pilgrim S

18 minutes ago, nikkic said:

As has been mentioned by many....

This album is superb.

The Last Man On Earth is tune of the year territory for me. 

Another big thumbs up, here.

I really loved How Can I Make It Ok on the Worthy Farm stream and the album version doesn't disappoint. I get summery Fleetwood Mac vibes from it. 

Any record that beats Blue Weekend to the album of the year title will have to be an absolute classic. 

I think Ellie and the Lads are about to go stratospheric...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I really loved How Can I Make It Ok on the Worthy Farm stream and the album version doesn't disappoint. I get summery Fleetwood Mac vibes from it. 

Any record that beats Blue Weekend to the album of the year title will have to be an absolute classic. 

I love the record and hope it sends to them to the big time, but I’m not sure it really has the tracks to appeal to the masses? No more so than something like Bros. They’ve already released the biggest “hits” as singles and it doesn’t seem like they’ve taken off any more so than previous singles?

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I love the record and hope it sends to them to the big time, but I’m not sure it really has the tracks to appeal to the masses? No more so than something like Bros. They’ve already released the biggest “hits” as singles and it doesn’t seem like they’ve taken off any more so than previous singles?

Interesting. Do we think it has something to do with guitar-based music not being as popular these days? 

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Interesting. Do we think it has something to do with guitar-based music not being as popular these days? 

Yeah it doesn't get picked up in the same way. I think this is why we haven't seen many bands become headline level in the past 10 or so years. There is a bit of a glass ceiling at the moment for bands that they can't surpass. The masses don't lap up bands like they used to.

I've put on music like this before to people who aren't really arsed and you get the same kind of response - “boring”, “not catchy” etc. It's not the sort of stuff that is going stratospheric at the moment. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah it doesn't get picked up in the same way. I think this is why we haven't seen many bands become headline level in the past 10 or so years. There is a bit of a glass ceiling at the moment for bands that they can't surpass. The masses don't lap up bands like they used to.

I've put on music like this before to people who aren't really arsed and you get the same kind of response - “boring”, “not catchy” etc. It's not the sort of stuff that is going stratospheric at the moment. 

Yeah, maybe "stratospheric" might have been pushing it a bit but I definitely think it puts them in the realm of larger sold-out tours, bigger arenas and major festival headline slots. I'm saying they'll definitely be an Other Stage headliner next year

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I’m not sure if it’s necessarily a guitar music issue - I think bands are finding it increasingly more difficult to reach that next level. Lots of bands are getting to the *cough* Foals level, but not many are getting beyond. Same applies to people like Lana as well who have been around for ages now, lots of critical success and some big releases, but just not quite getting to the tippy top.

Just now, jparx said:

I’m not sure if it’s necessarily a guitar music issue - I think bands are finding it increasingly more difficult to reach that next level. Lots of bands are getting to the *cough* Foals level, but not many are getting beyond. Same applies to people like Lana as well who have been around for ages now, lots of critical success and some big releases, but just not quite getting to the tippy top.

"The Foals Effect" 

13 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, maybe "stratospheric" might have been pushing it a bit but I definitely think it puts them in the realm of larger sold-out tours, bigger arenas and major festival headline slots. I'm saying they'll definitely be an Other Stage headliner next year

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

Well most youngsters now are being introduced to music through TikTok. Which is a mix of rap, pop, dance pop, and dare I say it... Meme pop as well. Wolf Alice aren't exactly what the kids are listening to, but will be pretty big with the uni grads, and those who grew up when indie was massive. 

The reason why bands are struggling right now is they are no longer what the youngsters are listening to. Their target market is narrower than it used to be.

I agree - they will have some big slots on a few festival lineups and their own shows but massive festival headliners I can't see. I don't think they are aiming for that with their career trajectory anyway. They space out their album releases and I don't think they are in the interest of pushing out radio friendly singles.

The fact that WA are struggling to secure top spots at R&L should be enough indication to show that things are changing.

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well most youngsters now are being introduced to music through TikTok. Which is a mix of rap, pop, dance pop, and dare I say it... Meme pop as well. Wolf Alice aren't exactly what the kids are listening to, but will be pretty big with the uni grads, and those who grew up when indie was massive. 

The reason why bands are struggling right now is they are no longer what the youngsters are listening to. Their target market is narrower than it used to be.

I agree - they will have some big slots on a few festival lineups and their own shows but massive festival headliners I can't see. I don't think they are aiming for that with their career trajectory anyway. They space out their album releases and I don't think they are in the interest of pushing out radio friendly singles.

The fact that WA are struggling to secure top spots at R&L should be enough indication to show that things are changing.

But festivals like Glastonbury aren’t catering to the younger crowd you describe, so if Wolf Alice are big with the Glastonbury crowd then why not give them a bigger slot? R+L is probably a different kettle of fish. This is part of the shift I think Glastonbury needs to make, towards having slightly fewer ginormous acts and starting to have the likes of Lana, Nick Cave, Foals, The XX etc as headliners. Opens up the headliner pool, saves them a few quid and ultimately Glastonbury hold the power to define what a Glastonbury headliner actually is, so they could be kingmakers for these slightly lower tier acts. Some would nail it and take the chance, others maybe not and stay where they are. It’ll have to happen eventually because they’re not going to start booking BTS to headline, and not enough Glastonbury type acts are becoming mega stars on their own.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

But festivals like Glastonbury aren’t catering to the younger crowd you describe, so if Wolf Alice are big with the Glastonbury crowd then why not give them a bigger slot? R+L is probably a different kettle of fish. This is part of the shift I think Glastonbury needs to make, towards having slightly fewer ginormous acts and starting to have the likes of Lana, Nick Cave, Foals, The XX etc as headliners. Opens up the headliner pool, saves them a few quid and ultimately Glastonbury hold the power to define what a Glastonbury headliner actually is, so they could be kingmakers for these slightly lower tier acts. Some would nail it and take the chance, others maybe not and stay where they are. It’ll have to happen eventually because they’re not going to start booking BTS to headline, and not enough Glastonbury type acts are becoming mega stars on their own.

Whilst I do agree - they have some pretty huge acts up for playing at the moment that aren't exactly in that youngsters tik tok crowd. They still offer acts like Wolf Alice massive slots, but i don't think they are in the business of making headliners where it doesn't quite work.

A massive other headline spot is pretty much equivalent to headlining a smaller festival (crowd wise) anyway. 

29 minutes ago, jparx said:

Very much this. I’d say Wolf Alice would comfortably pull a bigger crowd than a BTS or an Ariana Grande at Glastonbury.

Also this album is also absolutely built for a big slot. Its undiluted stadium rock really - dramatic, big belters.

I think the only thing with Wolf Alice is that I love em (i saw them way back when at trof in fallowfield when they only had a couple of tracks on soundcloud and i thought then, these are gonna big big..)

And they have great albums. But whilst I think certain songs are belters myself, fluffy, white leather, for example, also how can i make it okay from this album - they have never had that one or two just ubiquitous singles that you hear everywhere and everyone knows a bit of the words or melody to and I was a bit disappointed that this album is more of that really. Great as an album, but where is the hit single? I think It’ll be no 1 as an album but it still leaves question marks over their ability to headline for me

6 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Very much this. I’d say Wolf Alice would comfortably pull a bigger crowd than a BTS or an Ariana Grande at Glastonbury.

Wolf Alice would not pull a bigger crowd than a hyper mainstream global chart topping artist. Glastonbury may be a bit more left field than radio 1’s big weekend but it doesn’t exist in isolation from the zeitgeist.

12 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Just wanna refute the idea that Wolf Alice have been dogged at Reading + Leeds this year. Not sure where that's coming from.

3rd from top below arena anthem-makers Liam Gallagher and Gerry Cinnamon, on the larger of the two main stages.

That's not exactly bad, is it? Plum slot for a band whose second album constituted a bit of a hype dip. It's par for course or, all things considered as discussed above, better than expected for an alt rock act these days.

Idk I think the old R&L would give them a sub spot with this level of success. Especially a band headlining latitude.

Edited by Matt42

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Idk I think the old R&L would give them a sub spot with this level of success. Especially a band headlining latitude.

They were a late addition.  Liam and Gerry were the original header and sub so 3rd was the only place they could go I guess.  

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Wolf Alice would not pull a bigger crowd than a hyper mainstream global chart topping artist. Glastonbury may be a bit more left field than radio 1’s big weekend but it doesn’t exist in isolation from the zeitgeist.

Agree to disagree. Amongst the broader group of people I know who are regulars at Glastonbury (around 40-50 people) I’d say not one could name you a BTS song, let alone have any interest in seeing them but for out of morbid curiosity if nothing else was on.

Anecdotal of course, but nevertheless. Even the folk i know who aren’t regulars but those that are more likely to entertain sinking 250 quid on a ticket (+probs another 250 quid on booze, travel etc) to go and camp in a potentially muddy field without much in the way of creature comfort to have a weekend of live music, are more likely to see wolf Alice than BTS.

I know BTS have a lot of very dedicated fans. But I don’t think the venn diagrams of glastonbury goers and dedicated BTS fans has much overlap tbh.

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Absolutely - already my album of the year by some margin and cannot see anything beating it.  Loved it on first listen and it keeps getting better.  Have listened 7 times now and even though I had high hopes, it has ended up being even better than I had expected.

They 100% deserve to go 'stratospheric' with this, but given the way the music scene is nowadays it is not likely to happen.  Too much of it is driven by Tik Tok etc.

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Little Simz could be about to do just that 

31 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Agree to disagree. Amongst the broader group of people I know who are regulars at Glastonbury (around 40-50 people) I’d say not one could name you a BTS song, let alone have any interest in seeing them but for out of morbid curiosity if nothing else was on.

Anecdotal of course, but nevertheless. Even the folk i know who aren’t regulars but those that are more likely to entertain sinking 250 quid on a ticket (+probs another 250 quid on booze, travel etc) to go and camp in a potentially muddy field without much in the way of creature comfort to have a weekend of live music, are more likely to see wolf Alice than BTS.

I know BTS have a lot of very dedicated fans. But I don’t think the venn diagrams of glastonbury goers and dedicated BTS fans has much overlap tbh.

I don’t think BTS will ever set foot on the farm so they are a bit of a poor example. It’s like debating who would have a bigger crowd… HAIM Or Take That?

Wolf Alice can definitely get a big crowd, but we aren’t talking major pop star like Taylor, Ariana, Dua etc big.

27 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Absolutely - already my album of the year by some margin and cannot see anything beating it.  Loved it on first listen and it keeps getting better.  Have listened 7 times now and even though I had high hopes, it has ended up being even better than I had expected.

They 100% deserve to go 'stratospheric' with this, but given the way the music scene is nowadays it is not likely to happen.  Too much of it is driven by Tik Tok etc.

How long until tik tok views get counted as streams for the official charts?

Sounds crazy but I remember a time where people were very confused when YouTube views started to count as streams.

Edited by Matt42

38 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I agree with this to an extent! I've loved WA for a long long long time and was really glad to see them pick up the Mercury - however this album is just leagues ahead their other work imo and people I've tried to get them into before who recoiled have been streaming this all weekend --- so its deffo a convincer!!!!

I do wonder how this fits in to the TikTok//modern music debate - Royal Blood got a No. 1 with no viral success and rock bands are still ascending the ranks of festival lineups / charts etc etc so I would argue that its a bigger combination than just needing vitality (tho of course it helps) and sometimes all it takes is a one bigger hit and a few headline slots and we've got the 2020s version of stratospheric!

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yep. They'd be an enormous sub, and it's possible that's where they end up, but all signs point to the headline slot being theirs to lose.

I'm not expecting it because the festival just doesn't have acts like Wolf Alice headline the Other Stage anymore. Not impossible but just seems like Other Stage headline isn't quite for them. Like when people shout Nick Cave or The National for it too.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm not expecting it because the festival just doesn't have acts like Wolf Alice headline the Other Stage anymore. Not impossible but just seems like Other Stage headline isn't quite for them. Like when people shout Nick Cave or The National for it too.

Wouldn’t they be comparable to Tame Impala? Tame have a bit of a dancier edge to them live but they’re not that far apart, both still guitar based indie/alternative bands

Just now, jparx said:

Wouldn’t they be comparable to Tame Impala? Tame have a bit of a dancier edge to them live but they’re not that far apart, both still guitar based indie/alternative bands

I don't think there would be much resemblance between Tame Impala's 2019 Other Stage headline set and what Wolf Alice would provide. Besides, Tame Impala subbed the Pyramid first.