...and the gigs just keep on coming (2014)

RedRockRick

John Fulbright was fantastic at the Railway (keyboard rather than nice old piano unfortunately), he's fairly new to me, and I though thoroughly deserving of the various comparisons that have been made to great artists of the past.

Hans Chew the night before was also great (and a new artist to me again), if sparsely populated.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tom Adams @ Waterbeach Beach Sessions

Impressive set of delicate guitar and piano led songs from Tom, with a decent visual back up as well, albeit all a bit chilled for me. Good backing from Gaze is Ghost, whose own set was more challenging.

Great sound at this village venue, and a small crowd who made scarcely a sound.

+++++++++++

Juice/David Thomas Broughton @ Trof,Manc.

More of a showcase for the wonderful a capella talents of Juice than DTB compared to the Tipi set, this was a joy. Best use of cheap props at a gig (napkins for David, bubbles for Juice), and loops taken to extremes. Not sure it transfers to LP well though.

Dan Michaelson & The Coastguards @ The Keep, Guildford

Final night of the world tour. More than somewhat shambolic, and just as they got their act together, they finished. Not my favourite venue: lots of large and chunky items of furniture outnumbering the punters. New album is really good, though.

Joe D'Urso & Stone Caravan @ The Albion, Farnham

I pathetically failed to make it to the Half Moon in Putney the night before, so as an honorary citizen of the great state of New Jersey I was contractually bound to do this one. If you've seen Joe before you'll know it's all meat and potatoes standard fare, but done with 100% commitment and actually this proved to be a rollicking good night, plus it's always a pleasure to meet up with Joe and the great Mr. Lou.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express @ The Haunt, Brighton

Personally, a slight sense of disappointment. Perhaps a combination of naff headwear, Chuck's rubbish suit, the customarily crap sound at the Haunt, a bad day at the office, the fact that Chuck didn't seem to play that much guitar (though James DePrato is no slouch) and me being picky: a decent Prophet show, but not a great one.

2 home fixture, which is a lot duller than Brighton or Aldershot..

Dry the River @ Cambridge Junction

Went on recommendation of 18 year old niece, who really ought to get to EotR. The new LP is OK, but thought it was all a complete mess live, with illness only a partial factor. To be fair, I was probably affected by hysterical reaction to every song, which is very Cambridge.

Phantom Band, also Junction (stage 2)

But thanks Riverlodge for this recommendation, they were thunderous and even better than the records. Great sound and a decent if small crowd, not all with beards. Band looked like they were enjoying it too.

Peter Broderick and Loch Lomond @ the Roadhouse, Manchester

Really enjoyed Loch Lomond almost solo set, endearing songs and a wonderful voice, with quirky stage presence. In contrast, I found Peter a bit too polite, and missed the atmospherics of the older LPs, though he was charm himself.

The Roadhouse is a tiny basement bar, new to me, with good sound at the front but less so a few rows back. Small but good crowd, apart from two ladies attempting a shouted conversation who were, frankly, sent packing by a helpful comment to turn it down a bit.

Edited by killyourtv

glad you enjoyed Phantom Band KYTV.

partly on your report I saw Tom Adams (supporting Wooden Arms in J2, who were nice enough) the other week, and apart from the fact that he is about as far from 'polished' on stage as its possible to be he really does loop some wonderful sounds. will watch his development as there is definite quality to my ears. Gaze is Ghost played that gig too, rather lovely voice.

• 4 weeks later...