"your chance to win a brand new car" email

Guest noonard

Just had an email, supposedly from eFesties, offering me the chance to win a Mini via a website called be-real-winner.com.

The headers make it look like it has come from the EF server, but at the same time it reeks of spam. Is this legit, or has someone gained access to the mailing list system somehow?

Cheers!

Ed

Just came on to post the same
CONGRATULATIONS
Hello,
Congratulations
You have just been nominated to be our possible winner
We are happy to announce you could be our EXCLUSIVE WINNER of a brand new MINI.
Participation in this draw won't cost you anything and the car will be delivered to your nearest official dealer.
Your chance to win a MINI. Enter today and you could be the proud owner of a branda new MINI.
Please click here to select your MINI
Selected MINI

Is this legit

It's legit.

eFestivals takes paid mailers from selected companies from time to time, to help us pay the bills. Without the income of these (along with other income) efestivals could not survive.

Most of the paid-for mailers we take are to promote festivals and in an ideal world they'd be the only ones we took, but we wouldn't survive relying on just those.

Flak from who?

People who've chosen to see the email only as spam.

To be fair to them, that's not an unreasonable assumption given the content, and something I should have better anticipated, despite me having had the copy that's been sent out amended to try and make it more palatable than it otherwise would have been.

And things haven't been helped by the fact that there's been some unmentioned effects around the email, that was completely unanticipated by me. People outside the UK do not get the opportunity to win a car, they instead get served another page entirely - making the whole thing seem a con.

As soon as I became aware that was happening, I stopped the mail going out (around 4/10ths of the mails had been sent by that time). I've done a LOT of shouting at people about this, and as of now that is still not resolved (it only needs that redirection taken off), which leads me to conclude that scamming people was a part of the ultimate client's wants.

Fuck them Neil, do what you need to do.. it's easy enough to delete an email.

True, but what I want is not to help that company scam people, or to annoy people on the maillist.

But I also wish to be able to afford to live, and now I can't. Yes, things really are that dire.

Edited by eFestivals