The Spice Thread

Uncle Liam

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. Unfortunately, I'm from Wales, so we don't have anything much exotic in the Valleys. I've never even heard of ghost chillis. Ours just get called 'red' or 'green' and 'mild' or 'hot'.

I'm also interested in spicy food, so eagerly await the keen chefs' contributions.

Interesting thread. Unfortunately, I'm from Wales, so we don't have anything much exotic in the Valleys. I've never even heard of ghost chillis. Ours just get called 'red' or 'green' and 'mild' or 'hot'.

I'm also interested in spicy food, so eagerly await the keen chefs' contributions.

FC don't put us all down. Some of us in South Wales are into exotic. A friend in my village is a member of a chilli club and they compete to grow the hottest chillis. Try this link http://www.worldofchillies.com/offsiteclub/offsitechilliclub/chilli-club.html

Excellent thread! :)

Been dabbling in the hot stuff myself recently. You can buy any of the chilis online. They're vacuum packed so don't worry about them going off.

Having been to Louisiana recently I sampled a lot. Brought some back too.

The Hottest Fucking Sauce. 600,000 SHU! Picked it up in the French market in New Orleans. Made me feel like when Homer ate the Guetamalan Insanity Peppers. Have a bottle in the house but don't know what to do with it! May do a spicy gumbo one of these days. And use literally one drop of this stuff. Old black man who sold it to me said "you be careful wi' dat boy".

And I got this lovely tomato seasoning. Works really well with anything with tomato in it. I use it in sauces too. Red wine braised chicken with tomato and olives thing being a standard. And lovely for brekkie or as any side - olive oil and a sprinkle of this stuff over some cherry tomatoes on the vine. Bang them in the oven for 15 minutes. Its exceptional stuff.

I've a whole rack of hot sauces I brought back with me aswell. Garlic, chipotle, red pepper, habanero etc. Louisiana Hot Sauce. Really nice. And as obvious as it is, Tabasco is great. You can get the various flavours of that online too.

Edited by The Nal

Excellent thread! :)

Been dabbling in the hot stuff myself recently. You can buy any of the chilis online. They're vacuum packed so don't worry about them going off.

Having been to Louisiana recently I sampled a lot. Brought some back too.

The Hottest Fucking Sauce. 600,000 SHU! Picked it up in the French market in New Orleans. Made me feel like when Homer ate the Guetamalan Insanity Peppers. Have a bottle in the house but don't know what to do with it! May do a spicy gumbo one of these days. And use literally one drop of this stuff. Old black man who sold it to me said "you be careful wi' dat boy".

And I got this lovely tomato seasoning. Works really well with anything with tomato in it. I use it in sauces too. Red wine braised chicken with tomato and olives thing being a standard. And lovely for brekkie or as any side - olive oil and a sprinkle of this stuff over some cherry tomatoes on the vine. Bang them in the oven for 15 minutes. Its exceptional stuff.

I've a whole rack of hot sauces I brought back with me aswell. Garlic, chipotle, red pepper, habanero etc. Louisiana Hot Sauce. Really nice. And as obvious as it is, Tabasco is great. You can get the various flavours of that online too.

600,000 SHU? Are you sure? Isnt Scotch Bonnet about 200 000? Whats in it - plutonium?

600,000 SHU isnt a lot, Naga Viper chili's are 1.3 million, I've got some in my freezer.

As a point of interest, the best way to store chilis is to freeze them once you get them (unless you intend to dry them or preserve them in oil)

I got various hot sauces for xmas, one was called diablo, and I cant remember the other one - not tried either yet.

The last couple of years I have caught the chili bug, I often go to Indian restaurants and order "the hottest thing on the menu" which feels incredibly douchey, but I genuinely enjoy the really hot food. Our local one does phaal, but they also do a dish called a taftoon, which is made with naga chili - that one is beautiful, really smokey.

Naga vipers, and their slightly hotter countepart - the "trinidad scorpion butch t" are widely available in the uk, as iirc - they were developed here (devon I think).

Any fruit shop should be able to get you them if they visit a wholesale market, just ask the person in charge if they will order you one, they will either come in 125g punnets, 250g punnets, or loose kilos. I would imagine the grocer will need you to buy the full case. Use about £20/kilo as a guide, you may even get them a bit cheaper.

600,000 SHU isnt a lot, Naga Viper chili's are 1.3 million, I've got some in my freezer.

As a point of interest, the best way to store chilis is to freeze them once you get them (unless you intend to dry them or preserve them in oil)

I got various hot sauces for xmas, one was called diablo, and I cant remember the other one - not tried either yet.

The last couple of years I have caught the chili bug, I often go to Indian restaurants and order "the hottest thing on the menu" which feels incredibly douchey, but I genuinely enjoy the really hot food. Our local one does phaal, but they also do a dish called a taftoon, which is made with naga chili - that one is beautiful, really smokey.

Naga vipers, and their slightly hotter countepart - the "trinidad scorpion butch t" are widely available in the uk, as iirc - they were developed here (devon I think).

Any fruit shop should be able to get you them if they visit a wholesale market, just ask the person in charge if they will order you one, they will either come in 125g punnets, 250g punnets, or loose kilos. I would imagine the grocer will need you to buy the full case. Use about £20/kilo as a guide, you may even get them a bit cheaper.

I tried a spoonful from a phaal once. It's insanely hot. One of my friends was trying it for the first time and I had the spoonful. I can remember drinking water like a bastard afterwards but nothing was budging the pain I felt in my mouth. At the end of his meal my mate said he could easily eat another, so we bet against him that he couldn't. Another phaal was ordered and he started to eat it. The only difference this time around was that all the kitchen staff had gathered around the table to watch, because they simply couldn't believe my mate was going to eat it either. He did, and we lost a few quid.

I could honestly eat phaal every day. I'm sure you build a tolerance. The hottest thing I have ever eaten was a vindaloo in a restaurant in Glasgow, only thing was - it wasnt a vindaloo, whatever the waiter/chef says, you could clearly taste the naga viper in it (its a very recognisable flavour once you have eaten it a couple of times), and I'm sure most of you know that vindaloo is called vindaloo because it is made with wine or vinegar, which is where the "vin" comes from, and that should provide the flavour, not an overbearing chili that has been dumped in the dish to shut some bighead chili fan up..

Raw naga is incredibly hot, especially if you eat a slice of it. The first time I ever had it, it was incredible, me and my mate tried it in our kitchen, just a "toenail clipping" sized piece (sorry for the toenail reference) and we were just like lloyd and harry from dumb and dumber for about 20 minutes!

I made a chickpea curry last year with twelve dried ghost chillis, a few fresh scotch bonnets, garlic, ginger, coriander and oil in the paste. There was a good few sliced Jalapeno's in it as well, and some of those finger chilli's you get.

I then added a capful of insanity sauce, and a capful of Satan's revenge.

It was stupidly hot, but not inedible.

I actually found the paste with the dried chillis to be not that hot. At least, not as hot as I'd imagined. Hence my search for fresh ones.

I made a chickpea curry last year with twelve dried ghost chillis, a few fresh scotch bonnets, garlic, ginger, coriander and oil in the paste. There was a good few sliced Jalapeno's in it as well, and some of those finger chilli's you get.

I then added a capful of insanity sauce, and a capful of Satan's revenge.

It was stupidly hot, but not inedible.

I actually found the paste with the dried chillis to be not that hot. At least, not as hot as I'd imagined. Hence my search for fresh ones.

My mouth just hit the floor like in an old cartoon!! Hats off.. Love chillies & spices but my body doesn't anymore, this thread is whetting my appetite..

Edited by Osama Jim Laden

Thats an actual chili though and not a sauce. What do you do with it?

Theres not many sauce hotter than 600,000 that are widely available. You're into Blair territory after that really.

Hot Headz UK sell that "Hottest Fucking Sauce" so will get on that.

As above, let me know if you use it for something! I'm lost. Don't want to ruin an entire dish by putting too much in.

I like hot food but not to the point where it all tastes the same. Which is what happens with too much of anything in a dish. My local Indian for example. Everything just tastes like just varying degrees of spicy tomato soup. Muck.

Edited by The Nal

What do you do with it?

TBH, they get used as a party game at the moment, but the correct way to use it is to put the chili in the food whole, and remove it whole at the end of cooking. I am the only one in my family that likes food really spicy, so opportunities to use them never really arise, my friend has made chili con carne using them, he said it was nuclear, but his missus has eaten it and says its OK (she loves spice).

The butch t is 1.45 million iirc.

TBH, they get used as a party game at the moment, but the correct way to use it is to put the chili in the food whole, and remove it whole at the end of cooking. I am the only one in my family that likes food really spicy, so opportunities to use them never really arise, my friend has made chili con carne using them, he said it was nuclear, but his missus has eaten it and says its OK (she loves spice).

The butch t is 1.45 million iirc.

Christ!

Yeah party games is all I can think of with this hot sauce. But I have some Gumbo filé in the house so I may make a nuclear gumbo. Fuck it. Might make that tonight.

If you cook them whole do they ever split and spill their seeds? I'd be worried about that.

If anyone has any good recipes can you bang up up into the recipe thread?

Edited by The Nal