Other festivals like EotR?

Guest Fareham Grecian

Having been to EotR for the last 5 years, and it being reliably the best weekend of the year, I finally wore some friends (with a 10 year old son) down and pushed them into attending this year. Of course, they adored it, but can't make the dates next year.

So the question is, what other festivals are closest to EotR in terms of quality, variety of artists, lack of commerciality, surroundings and most importantly the overall vibe and relaxed nature of the event? They quite fancy Latitude but I've heard worrying things...

Having been to EotR for the last 5 years, and it being reliably the best weekend of the year, I finally wore some friends (with a 10 year old son) down and pushed them into attending this year. Of course, they adored it, but can't make the dates next year.

So the question is, what other festivals are closest to EotR in terms of quality, variety of artists, lack of commerciality, surroundings and most importantly the overall vibe and relaxed nature of the event? They quite fancy Latitude but I've heard worrying things...

Welcome.

I'm shocked they cared about a Mars bar, but that sort of thing is par for the course at large festivals.

I'm sure there's other people who've been to more small ones than I have who can recommend other places as well, but 2kTrees is definitely worth checking out.

Greenman, for artist similarity. And a beautiful setting. Think it's quite a bit bigger, but not at all commercial and very relaxed. I've never been, but have been tempted every year, and probably will this year.

I'm fairly sure EOTR is pretty much based on Greenman, the organisers having been there several times before setting up EOTR.

As per the comments re Latitude, it does depend on what you and your friends loved about EoTR. We have 4 kids 9-17, and have been to 3 EoTR and 5+ Beautiful Days. For chiiled out feel, wander around with your own beer, wine, food but get tempted by whats on offer they are very similar. The setting of BDs is lovely, no Peacocks/Formal Gardens, but undulating and quite a few trees.

Musically different, although we have seen John Grant and The Low Anthem at both (possibly more overlap, that's just what I remember).

So it does depend on what you are after.

• 7 months later...