Working At Glastonbury

Guest ToffeePopcorn

Hi just to update anyone who wanted to find a WBC Team this year.
The WBC does not accept individual applications so a person must join a WBC Team . { WBC Group }
The Group Organiser has to meet certain WBC deadlines and each year the dates vary.
The most important deadline is the Bids deadline. { for the whole 2014 season }
Although these are number bids wise Organiser's will work out who exactly will be working at each event but there is a few less experienced Organiser's who will try pot luck and they are the ones that get unstuck when they cant match their bids.
Whichever way they do it - the bids are sent in and the WBC will process them and will let Organiser's know at the end of March what bids have been accepted.
it is highly likely that Glastonbury bid numbers are reduced { its been like that since the late 90's as there is far more registered Groups than there used to be }
this is where new Volunteers come unstuck - if a Team is reduced by anywhere between 25% to 75% the ones that are likely to be cut are the new ones.
You have to look at from the Organiser's point of view - I would rather have trusted and dependable experienced Volunteers { some who have been with me over 20 years } than a new Volunteer who has to be watched over.
Most of my team who cant get places at Glastonbury will be offered either a Latitude or Reading place and they all understand that everything is up in the air until the allocation numbers are knowing.
The Bid deadline for 2014 has now passed so its unlikely that any new recruits will be able to find a WBC Group to join this year.
Anyone who has recently applied to join a WBC Group should double check that you have been registered and the WBC has approved the registration because the next deadline is the ' registration deadline ' - likely to be two weeks after the allocation.
the WBC will lock down the area making it impossible for anyone to be registered after that date and only Volunteers who have been approved can work at any event.
Volunteers who worked last year will be carried over this year so they don't have to register again.
The Allocation day - the WBC will send the allocation numbers - I have a list so I know who is doing what and on that same day I will allocate the places and then fire off a text letting them know they have a confirmed place.
Once I have made the allocation the WBC will send a link to book a Crew Coach { coaches are from all over the UK } - its that process that does catch many new people out.
Only WBC Volunteers who have a medical need are allowed to use their own car if they are working at Glastonbury everyone else ' has to book a coach place .
There will be a booking deadline for the Coach - miss that deadline and ' your place will be taken back by the WBC ' so its important that you don't miss that deadline.
It may sound tricky but the WBC will send full instructions and your Organiser will send reminders as they know how important it is to book the coach.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I got a place with the recycling crew last year, through a charity called Small Steps Project. They put a call out on the glastofest twitter page. I was quite late on, about may time i think? I had to donate half the ticket price to secure a place. It is hard work, and I met some fab people. I loved it, but due to my advanced age! i found I was too tired to stay up and enjoy the after hours entertainment which i usually enjoy. This year am going with my husband and friends as we managed to get tickets.

• 3 weeks later...