The National

Zoo Music Girl

On 12/8/2019 at 9:05 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Fantastic last night, one of the best I’ve seen them. In fact, everything about the night was brilliant:

Started on the pier by winning a toy penguin on the rolly dolphin ball game. Then Mrs Jass and I wandered around the Lanes trying to find a pub that wasn’t heaving. Finally found one where we could sit and ended up having some of the best pub food I’ve ever had. Then I checked my phone to discover I’d won 100 quid on the football!

Got to the venue about 8, couldn’t find a tour anywhere so went up to the info desk on the off chance that anyone had any spare seating tickets for Mrs J. The nice lady behind the counter swapped our standing tickets for front row of the balcony directly facing the stage, dead centre! It said on the tickets that were VIP comps so obviously for friends of the band or label who hadn’t turned up. Absolutely ridiculous, the best view I’ve ever had at a gig. The photo below pre-gig doesn’t really do it justice.

Then the band themselves were brilliant, they sounded fantastic. Setlist was IAETF heavy, but heavy on all the best bits. Great to hear stuff like Lemonworld get an outing too and I finally understand the Vanderlye singalong at the end!

Best gig I’ve been to in ages.

Reluctantly didn't go to this for financial reasons. I've waited 9 National gigs to hear this song live but still never have. Un-friggin-believable. 

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

Sorry to interrupt everyone's post-gig downloads. But what do you think the odds of the High Violet shows coming anywhere in the UK next summer?

APE or Glasto would seem the best fit but its surely too soon for both.

That's what I'm trying to assess. Otherwise going to be putting in a bit of planning to make it to mainland Europe! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

Been offered a couple of free tickets for tonight in Cardiff (I’m already going so no use to me) - let me know if you’re interested and I’ll see if the offerer can pass them on.

FYI everyone I wasn't able to take these in the end so please hit up @theevilfridge if you're interested in going tonight. 

16 hours ago, mynameismatt said:

who's going to an arena show and requesting humiliation

Still angry about this. What a dumb request. 

5 hours ago, 1986 said:

Sorry to interrupt everyone's post-gig downloads. But what do you think the odds of the High Violet shows coming anywhere in the UK next summer?

APE or Glasto would seem the best fit but its surely too soon for both.

I genuinely don't think the time gap is an issue - it'll have been three years since they last played in 2020 and they've had two albums out since then (even if they did play a lot of the first one during that set). 

The last time they played the booking came completely out of the blue - so there is clearly a good link between them and the fest there somewhere. The fact that they have dates around the fest and there aren't really that many UK options for them, other that the AEG fests they've done both of recently, make them likely IMO. I reckon they'll do a High Violet show at Eden Sessions then a normal show at the G. 

Regarding High Violet i dont think the band need to look backwards , especially as the new album has been so well received by fans.

I think bands do this when there latest albums are not so well received and they need to put bums on seats for a tour - something The National do not need to. I can understand it for the homecoming gig with two sets , but not sure about the rest ? 

Also i  was at their set at Glasto 2010 in the blinding heat .  After about a minute  a couple of my friends said 

" Were not listening the this rubbish " and wandered off !

Edited by ivan

1 hour ago, ivan said:

I think bands do this when there latest albums are not so well received and they need to put bums on seats for a tour - something The National do not need to. I can understand it for the homecoming gig with two sets , but not sure about the rest ? 

Whilst I see your point personally I'd relish the chance to see my favourite album by any of my favourite artists in full. These guys tour pretty full on so I don't think it'd be a reflection on poor reception. 

So, please, don't take this opportunity away from me! 

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

Last night was:

19:30 - 20:15 Jenny Lewis

20:45 - close The National 

I appreciate that's not tonight, but something to go off. 

Actually Jenny Lewis came on at 19.29 ( sorry for being ocd on the time )