Zoo Music Girl

The National

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c897b6cc4aab79d00f420b

Fans of The National fighting over Pink Rabbits 

The only true fans are the ones who recognise Pink Rabbits as the undisputed GOAT National song.

56 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

The only true fans are the ones who recognise Pink Rabbits as the undisputed GOAT National song.

Wrong! Fans think pink rabbits is better than it actually is because on the album the 3 songs that precede it are overly long, samey and mediocre, and in that context Pink Rabbits comes as a refreshing relief. 

10 hours ago, 1986 said:

Anyone watched the Beacon Theatre evening on Amazon yet? 

Saving that for my hangover tomorrow. 

Watched the new film last night. As a concert film it's nothing special but the performance of the songs with all the bells and whistles sounds amazing and the band are on top form. Sure it'll be re-watched a few times over the years.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, Mr.Tease said:

Rigged!!! 

A foregone conclusion 

Just bumping to say I'm still loving the new album.

The more I listen the more I think You Had Your Soul With You is the weak spot. Don't think the mid tempo vocals and driving guitar/drums compliment each other as much as I'd like.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, 1986 said:

Just bumping to say I'm still loving the new album.

The more I listen the more I think You Had Your Soul With You is the weak spot. Don't think the mid tempo vocals and driving guitar/drums compliment each other as much as I'd like.

Yeah, I'll go as far as saying this is my favorite one they released since Boxer.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Superunknown said:

tbf that song is unbelievable.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:33 AM, Mr.Tease said:

Wrong! Fans think pink rabbits is better than it actually is because on the album the 3 songs that precede it are overly long, samey and mediocre, and in that context Pink Rabbits comes as a refreshing relief. 

This is untrue. The three songs that precede Pink Rabbits are all wonderful. And then Pink Rabbits comes on and levels up. Astonishing album. 

On 8/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Superunknown said:

Nah, About Today is the true GOAT!

On 8/20/2019 at 10:33 AM, Mr.Tease said:

Blimey....

Graceless, Slipped, I need my Girl and Humiliation is one of my favourite runs on any album..... Pink Rabbits is a top song but really, Humiliation is the masterpiece.

Edited by BlueDaze
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Blimey....

Graceless, Slipped, I need my Girl and Humiliation is one of my favourite runs on any album..... Pink Rabbits is a top song but really, Humiliation is the masterpiece.

I love graceless, but the other three go on too long- when they start, I always wonder why I don’t like them more, but by the end I remember! They’re fine individually, but It’s the running order and the length, I just don’t think those three songs belong together.

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Blimey....

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I love graceless, but the other three go on too long- when they start, I always wonder why I don’t like them more, but by the end I remember! They’re fine individually, but It’s the running order and the length, I just don’t think those three songs belong together.

just had a listen and Slipped is my favourite today........ 😎

Said this over in the announcements thread, but Big Red Machine are supporting Bon Iver next year which would suggest that The National are having a break next year.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Said this over in the announcements thread, but Big Red Machine are supporting Bon Iver next year which would suggest that The National are having a break next year.

It's written as 'Aaron Dessners 37d03d Machine,' will that definately be the same line up do you think? 

Just now, 1986 said:

It's written as 'Aaron Dessners 37d03d Machine,' will that definately be the same line up do you think? 

Yeah I'm not convinced it'll be a Big Red Machine set, maybe some of their songs as well as some other stuff. 

It's just after The National do some dates in Australia and New Zealand, so perhaps those are the last gigs of this tour. I can see them going on a pretty long break after this album, they seem to have been touring solidly for a few years now.

5 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Now I'm not sure, I just assumed it was some stylistic nonsense.

Either way it's pretty safe to assume The National are going on a break after this next tour. I wouldn't expect to see them back for a couple of years at least given that they've been pretty much touring and recording constantly for two years.

Apparently the National are still bringing their festival back to Cincinnati next May, so there's at least that after their tour ends at the moment. That could mean there's a few more dates (I'm still sure they'll play a proper London gig, despite knowing there's no reason for them to), but at the same time playing their own festival would be a nice way to end the tour/go on a break for a while.