The National

Zoo Music Girl

Just finished my first listen. Had to break it in two parts to fit around a meeting and I imagine it's a much better experience in one big listen.

Initial thoughts - good. The worst track is "nice", the best tracks are great. It's going to be another grower, as with Sleep Well Beast, but first impressions are stronger than that record. 

Very interested to see how these songs translate live, and what their festival setlists look like. Are they bringing in guest vocalists for the tour? I imagine at certain festivals they will be able to bring some of the various artists on stage (e.g. Sharon at Mad Cool). 

Initial thoughts:

• First 9 tracks had me hooked
  • The run of Not In Kansas, So Far So Fast and Dust Swirls In Strange Light slowed things down a bit for me (I don't know if this was the extended length of the first two tracks but yeah, I felt like the record could lose those three tracks)
  • Final 4 tracks won me back

All in all, a great record. I had my reservations but was pleasantly surprised. Too soon to give it a definitive rating or say where it ranks amongst their previous work but yeah. Some brilliant tracks on there that I cannot wait to hear live.

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Initial thoughts:

• The run of Not In Kansas, So Far So Fast and Dust Swirls In Strange Light slowed things down a bit for me (I don't know if this was the extended length of the first two tracks but yeah, I felt like the record could lose those three tracks)

All in all, a great record. I had my reservations but was pleasantly surprised. Too soon to give it a definitive rating or say where it ranks amongst their previous work but yeah. Some brilliant tracks on there that I cannot wait to hear live.

The beauty of this album, I absolutely love these tracks. 

The likes of Kate Stables, Gail Ann Dorsey, Lisa Hannigan, Mina Tindle and Sharon Van Etten have really lifted them here. Having been impatient and had a download since Wednesday this is clicking far, far quicker than SWB did for me. 

Also a huge shout for Eve Owen on Where is Her Head, possibly one of the best songs they've done (fight me). Only 19 years old and her vocal is absolutely magic, the daughter of Clive Owen too - for a little bit of music trivia. 

8 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Initial thoughts:

I love The National. Easily in my top 5 acts of all time. However I'm reluctant to call this record "great" yet. I absolutely concede it requires more listens, but my first instinct is around the 7/10 range. That may well go up, but I agree with you in terms of the ebb and flow of the record - started off great, bit of a lull in the middle, ends strong.

27 minutes ago, jparx said:

I love The National. Easily in my top 5 acts of all time. However I'm reluctant to call this record "great" yet. I absolutely concede it requires more listens, but my first instinct is around the 7/10 range. That may well go up, but I agree with you in terms of the ebb and flow of the record - started off great, bit of a lull in the middle, ends strong.

Have to agree expect it rise but it doesn't have an immediacy and seems to loose traction in the middle, good end though. I think I missed not having as much Matt singing throughout, that for me is that is a major part of their distinctive sound.

On my second listen. Favourite songs are You Had Your Soul With You, Quiet Light, Oblivions, Not in Kansas, Rylan. Certainly is a grower. 

1 hour ago, Yokel Again said:

Not in Kansas has to be up there with their very best - Geese of Beverly Road brilliance. 

Not quite ready to go that far yet, but it's certainly approaching that level for me. 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

On my second listen. Favourite songs are You Had Your Soul With You, Quiet Light, Oblivions, Not in Kansas, Rylan. Certainly is a grower. 

Not quite ready to go that far yet, but it's certainly approaching that level for me. 

The REM quotes just get me. My favourite band refraining my fave ever band. Couldn't get any better. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

The REM quotes just get me. My favourite band refraining my fave ever band. Couldn't get any better. 

Just reading through the lyrics. Pretty powerful stuff. Really stands out as the best track on the record. 

33 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Agreed!  There's also a Guided by Voices nod in I Am Easy to Find.  "Towers to the skies, an academy of lies" is pretty much a straight pull from GBV's Echos Myron. 

After the first listen the songs I really liked were Quiet Light, I Am Easy To Find, Not In Kansas (wow!) and Rylan.

Surprised how much of a backseat Matt took to the female singers on many of the songs. Comes across as a bit of a concept album. 

It’ll take a few more listens for me, as their albums usually do, but I echo the sentiments that it’s a little weaker in the middle. 

Oblivions, Hey Rosey, Hairpin Turns and Light Years the standouts for me so far though.

Need to order the limited edition vinyl. Was going to hold off as it’s pricey, who am I kidding? I was always going to buy it eventually. 

Who’s going to the Brighton gig? 

While I still didn't get to listen to the album from start to finish properly, Oblivions got me hooked prettry bad. Stunning.

I have to admit that I didn't have big expectations from the album beforehand when it was announced due to its length, the accompony movie and the guests singers but I can already say that I don't have any doubts that it will grow on me like the others. 

The National are and have been my favorite band for 10 years now.  I just love them and can't get enough!

I listened to the album for the first time on Friday driving home from work and not sure if I was in the wrong state of mind or something but I struggled to get it and would agree with a poster above that it was a 7/10.

However, on 2nd and 3rd and 4th listens I am hearing something bigger, something deeper and I am getting hooked.  Standouts for me are Oblivions, Rylan, Light Years, Not In Kansas, You Had Your Soul With You and Hairpin Turns.  I'm listening to the album now as I type this message and So Far So Fast is playing which is pretty damn awesome too.

The album is on another level to the last 3 albums.  As yet I don't feel its as strong but its getting closer with every listen and there is something deep about it that's hooking my mind....just promoted it to an 8/10 but ask me again in a few weeks and the score may have gone up.

I believe it will really come to life when they tour as these tracks mixed in at the right point with the other classics will make for a great show. 

Edited by lazzareo
  • Like 1

Related stories below article has another Guardian review saying it's "melodious mood music to enthrall"  and gives 4 stars. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/17/the-national-i-am-easy-to-find-review

I'm not sure about the album yet but the track that f*ckery reviewer pulled out as great (Not In Kansas) is at the bottom of the pile for me so I don't trust their judgement.