The National

Zoo Music Girl

I hope these fellas are back across next year or play Coachella. Really enjoyed Saturday night and it's breathed life into the new album for me. The first track I thought was a bit maudlin - even for them, but it's proper grown on me. Turtleneck makes a hell of a lot more sense live as well, was one of the highlights of the evening for me.

I was pleased as punch to get Hard To Find on Friday, less pleased at the couple next to me who used to quietness as a great opportunity to have a long debate about whether or not they should go to the bar, all the while ignoring Lawn's Paddington stares. They didn't even go to the bar in the end, fucking wasters.

Currently spinning the High Violet LP I bought from the merch table, lush af, I reckon I've swung back round to this being their best after a brief period of thinking it was Boxer.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I was pleased as punch to get Hard To Find on Friday, less pleased at the couple next to me who used to quietness as a great opportunity to have a long debate about whether or not they should go to the bar, all the while ignoring Lawn's Paddington stares. They didn't even go to the bar in the end, fucking wasters.

Currently spinning the High Violet LP I bought from the merch table, lush af, I reckon I've swung back round to this being their best after a brief period of thinking it was Boxer.

Yaaas High Violet is the best one. And Hard to Find is lush.

I really liked the Talking Heads cover (Heaven) but didn't seem to go down that well. Don't understand why you'd put a cover in instead of Mr November/anything from Alligator but there you go. Still, very glad to hear Graceless and About Today, so overall pretty pleased. 

Edited by mynameismatt

Good gig. Had no idea what the cover was and no one else seemed to be into it. Pointless waste of a slot when Mr November and bluddy Pink Rabbits weren't played.

Had to rush to London Victoria after and I haven't eaten since midday and I'm so hangry. Not gonna be home until 3am I reckon I'll have wasted away by then.

Would have loved to hear About Today, the version on the Virginia EP is pretty solid. Fingers crossed they've got something super special up their sleeves for this evening. 

All The Wine will be good enough though, they've only played it once this tour. 

Edited by reflekting

13 hours ago, OddRon said:

I was 15/16yo who lived in a tiny town when those shows were happening, wish I had gone, I would have gone to Latitude last year but it clashed with another festival, I still had to travel 7 hours just for this show.

Hey, I know it can be a bitter pill to swallow missing out on a tour due to funds/location/age, or even not being into the artist. Every time I listen to Leonard Cohen I wish to myself I actually knew his work when he was actively touring. By the time the O2 shows came around in... 2013? I was just so skint I couldn't go. That was my chance, and that's gone. Just be stoked you got to see 'em, and who knows, maybe one day you'll realise you got a couple of stone cold gems and you'll be grateful. If not, you'll see those tracks you were wishing for in many gigs for years to come - they will be setlist staples. 

----------------------------------------

Last night's setlist -- no Alligator. C'mon, let's be havin' ya, lads. Very good feeling about this gig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

So it seems like tonight is the night for a lot of us here... hoping it's a stonker. Have a fabulous time all, I'll be keeping an eye out in the William Morris (spoons) for anyone awkwardly browsing eFestivals. 

I've got a feeling we are gonna get a load of Boxer. But let's wait and see. 

10 hours ago, Tuna said:

Hey, I know it can be a bitter pill to swallow missing out on a tour due to funds/location/age, or even not being into the artist. Every time I listen to Leonard Cohen I wish to myself I actually knew his work when he was actively touring. By the time the O2 shows came around in... 2013? I was just so skint I couldn't go. That was my chance, and that's gone. Just be stoked you got to see 'em, and who knows, maybe one day you'll realise you got a couple of stone cold gems and you'll be grateful. If not, you'll see those tracks you were wishing for in many gigs for years to come - they will be setlist staples. 

----------------------------------------

Last night's setlist -- no Alligator. C'mon, let's be havin' ya, lads. Very good feeling about this gig.

I really don't think the band will go back to all the old staples in a single set in future tours - seems like they've turned a corner with their setlists. Makes a lot more sense to start changing things up with 7 albums (even if they do only play songs from 5 of them). Not enough bands change their setlists IMO, it should be encouraged!

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

I've got a feeling we are gonna get a load of Boxer. But let's wait and see. 

I'd be game! 

These £2 pints are doing me very well. Hope yall are flying. I've been in some amazing national crowds - hope this is up there with the best! 

12 hours ago, Tuna said:

Every time I listen to Leonard Cohen I wish to myself I actually knew his work when he was actively touring. By the time the O2 shows came around in... 2013? I was just so skint I couldn't go

I saw him on that 2013, mad expensive but so worth it. I was actually waxing lyrical to my dad about how great he was, and how he's probably got another 10 years left in him only a couple of hours before the news broke that he'd died. I'm definitely in the school of see an artist when you get the chance and be thankful you did; I never made the effort to see Prince, but always assumed one day he'd be forced to chill the fuck out and put in an amazing Glastonbury headline slot which I'd be down the front for. Now I bitterly regret not shelling out the silly money for the Manchester Arena show I laughed at my friends for shelling out silly money to see.

Well that was incredible. 2 songs in and I was in tears. Just so so good. 

I've waited a long long time to see The National and it lived up to every expectation and more. 

The new songs sound fantastic (even Turtleneck), there was a great mix from the previous few and Matt was in great form both vocally and with the lols #balloongate. 

A band at their very best. 

Really happy for the guys on here who got Pink Rabbits. Still doesn't give me the feels, but hearing it live did increase its like-ability somewhat. 

We didn't get Brainy or England either but hey-ho. I'm so happy at the moment it doesn't really matter! 

I had a lovely couple standing next to me who were clearly enjoying it as much as I was. We exchanged a few glances and smiles, knowing we were all witnessing something special. 

Hope you all enjoyed that as much as I did!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

So who was the cover of? Anyone? I haven't got a clue. 

I enjoyed it but definitely my least favourite out of six gigs of theirs. The new album just isn't clicking for me. Ah well.

We struggled to find a decent spot sound and crowd wise too, which I guess didn't help.

Sorry we got Pink Rabbits for those who missed out last night! Would have swapped you for England any day of the week.

High Violet songs a definite highlight for me in that set.

Anyone here seen Cave and The National yet this week?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Great setlist. None of the deep cuts I was hoping for but a perfect intertwining of new and old songs. I'm nearing double digits seeing The Dessners et al and that was comfortably the best Fake Empire I've ever heard. They've been on top of their game for over five years now -- what a band.