Jump to content
Zoo Music Girl

The National

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, jparx said:

Love it. They're 2 for 2 in my book. New album is shaping up nicely.

I was tempted to buy LCD tickets for London, the night before The National in Manc, but couldn't justify all the travel and accommodation. What a double header that would be - anyone planning on that?

LCD on Saturday ally pally

National Tuesday hamm Apollo

Nick cave sat o2 arena

Decent week lined up end sep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just getting around to watching them now. Why oh why were they subbing Foo Fighters? The crowd is dead. Should've headlined Other or Park. Another Glastonbury sub fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it's Lorde in London on the Wednesday then The National the following night, with LCD a few days before. Think until a few weeks back the last time I went to see a big act live was well over a year ago but this autumn is suddenly stacked with lots I want to see. 

Guilty Party is very nice without totally hooking me yet. Will give it time to see if it grows into a favourite but even if not they're so consistently good that I can't envisage the album being a disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, russycarps said:

4 songs in a row that even fans of the band dont know.

Great plan.

Then end with a new one- ingenious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the gig with people who had never listened to the band before so 'every song is new to me' and they loved them. They claim to have been converted and were lookibg forward to 'getting into them ' when they got home.

Personally although I wanted more of their classics I still thought it was great and can't wait for the new album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Just had my first listen of Guilty Party and it's a right old banger.

Concurred. Hyped for the new album. 

Edit. Literally the first time I've ever said hyped in my life. 

Edited by nikkic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading here and thinking again about their show at Glastonbury (I didnt watch it again yet) I guess they done a great job. No one around me (front row, just left of the right screen) seemed like they know them except one girl behind me who probably sang most of the songs. But when the set ended people asked me about them and how many albums they have.  So I guess as most of you said, the non-fans enjoyed it and for them it doesnt matter if their playing Turtleneck or Mistaken For Strangers. Thats what a band want to achieve when playing at a festival. For us fans, even those who got disappointed got a ticket for their upcoming shows (not me as their not touring anywhere near me):(.

I do think its a shame Matt didn't come close to get the crowd excited a little bit.  It doesn't have to be all-in Mr. November style, just getting to the front barrier and doing the bang the mic on the head thing was enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed it a lot. But I wasn't blown away. And I really really wanted it to be special. A few things affected that, mostly to do with being surrounded by non fans, who rather than be simply disinterested, were actively being disrespectful by just singing foo fighters songs. 

That nagged at me the whole way through and whilst not enough to ruin a gig, it did dampen my mood.

the other thing was matt. It did feel like he was a bit awkward and didn't really engage with the crowd. I wouldn't say shy. It was a bit less innocent than that, more like there was a slight disdain there for either the festival or the crowd, (maybe the placement?)

i need to watch it back. I wasn't exactly crystal clear of mind, so maybe I've got it all wrong.

anyone else get that feeling that something was a little off?

having never seen them before, maybe it's just how he comes across. Clearly he likes a drink so that is obviously going to mean sometimes he doesn't quite hit the sweet spot. We can all attest to that I'm sure.

 

edited to say I'm a huge fan, so this is more a critique to say I was hoping for a gig of a lifetime and it just didn't quite happen, rather than just to bash them.

Edited by Eyebrow
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

I enjoyed it a lot. But I wasn't blown away. And I really really wanted it to be special. A few things affected that, mostly to do with being surrounded by non fans, who rather than be simply disinterested, were actively being disrespectful by just singing foo fighters songs. 

That nagged at me the whole way through and whilst not enough to ruin a gig, it did dampen my mood.

the other thing was matt. It did feel like he was a bit awkward and didn't really engage with the crowd. I wouldn't say shy. It was a bit less innocent than that, more like there was a slight disdain there for either the festival or the crowd, (maybe the placement?)

i need to watch it back. I wasn't exactly crystal clear of mind, so maybe I've got it all wrong.

anyone else get that feeling that something was a little off?

having never seen them before, maybe it's just how he comes across. Clearly he likes a drink so that is obviously going to mean sometimes he doesn't quite hit the sweet spot. We can all attest to that I'm sure.

 

edited to say I'm a huge fan, so this is more a critique to say I was hoping for a gig of a lifetime and it just didn't quite happen, rather than just to bash them.

Christ I would have had to move! Can't bear it when there's shit crowd around me. Me and the other half had to move about three times during Radiohead before we found a spot where people were actually watching.

And Matt is always a bit like that. Awkward, drunk and a bit cantankerous is kind of his thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

I enjoyed it a lot. But I wasn't blown away. And I really really wanted it to be special. A few things affected that, mostly to do with being surrounded by non fans, who rather than be simply disinterested, were actively being disrespectful by just singing foo fighters songs. 

That nagged at me the whole way through and whilst not enough to ruin a gig, it did dampen my mood.

the other thing was matt. It did feel like he was a bit awkward and didn't really engage with the crowd. I wouldn't say shy. It was a bit less innocent than that, more like there was a slight disdain there for either the festival or the crowd, (maybe the placement?)

i need to watch it back. I wasn't exactly crystal clear of mind, so maybe I've got it all wrong.

anyone else get that feeling that something was a little off?

having never seen them before, maybe it's just how he comes across. Clearly he likes a drink so that is obviously going to mean sometimes he doesn't quite hit the sweet spot. We can all attest to that I'm sure.

 

edited to say I'm a huge fan, so this is more a critique to say I was hoping for a gig of a lifetime and it just didn't quite happen, rather than just to bash them.

I thought Matt acted as if he knew no one in the crowd knew who they were, but was happy to be on the pyramid regardless. He seemed genuine when he said they were honoured, but it did seem like he was saying it in a way that a critically acclaimed but not very popular band would say it. Like they know they've earned they're place but know half the crowd will probably hate them? The whole time he talked it was almost as if he was talking to himself.

 

It was an odd atmosphere, but I wouldn't say it was disdainful.

 

I did feel a bit sorry for them, never seen pyramid that empty, especially for a sub headliner! Definitely should have headlined Park or JP.

 

 

I was waiting for friends so waited at the back of the field. Had a lovely atmosphere with a few small crowds of fans dancing and singing, and others chilling out on the grass. 

Edited by fowls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure it was the run of Walk It Back/Guilty Party/The Day I Die wot did it. I was in a pretty sweet spot of fans and the magic just started to fizzle out then and they never really recouped it.

Also I'm not sure they're a band that works well that far away from the crowd. I've not seen them before but when I picture The National live it's always Matt singing straight into the audience, and I know they've played huge shows before but they just seemed miles away (I wasn't far back) and marooned on this huge stage.  Matt shoulda got amongst it Nick Cave style, held some hands or whatevs.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm pretty sure it was the run of Walk It Back/Guilty Party/The Day I Die wot did it. I was in a pretty sweet spot of fans and the magic just started to fizzle out then and they never really recouped it.

Also I'm not sure they're a band that works well that far away from the crowd. I've not seen them before but when I picture The National live it's always Matt singing straight into the audience, and I know they've played huge shows before but they just seemed miles away (I wasn't far back) and marooned on this huge stage.  Matt shoulda got amongst it Nick Cave style, held some hands or whatevs.

To be fair be usually only does that for a couple of songs, often actually getting into the crowd at some point, but he doesn't really engage like Cave does. He still seems pretty insular most of the time and sort of stands in his own space for a lot of the gig. In my experience anyway. But I haven't seem them at a tiny venue - that ship having long since sailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.sofarsounds.com/s/63d576f2209ee46adb1a3bba

Secret gig in Edinburgh on the afternoon of the first night there. Doubt I'll bother applying for it as I have LCD the night before and I'm going on the second night but decent for anyone heading on the first night. No idea where it could be though, would imagine somewhere pretty small and mainly new songs.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

https://www.sofarsounds.com/s/63d576f2209ee46adb1a3bba

Secret gig in Edinburgh on the afternoon of the first night there. Doubt I'll bother applying for it as I have LCD the night before and I'm going on the second night but decent for anyone heading on the first night. No idea where it could be though, would imagine somewhere pretty small and mainly new songs.

 Cheers for that. Entered as that is the night I will be in Edinburgh seeing them anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

I enjoyed it a lot. But I wasn't blown away. And I really really wanted it to be special. A few things affected that, mostly to do with being surrounded by non fans, who rather than be simply disinterested, were actively being disrespectful by just singing foo fighters songs. 

That nagged at me the whole way through and whilst not enough to ruin a gig, it did dampen my mood.

the other thing was matt. It did feel like he was a bit awkward and didn't really engage with the crowd. I wouldn't say shy. It was a bit less innocent than that, more like there was a slight disdain there for either the festival or the crowd, (maybe the placement?)

i need to watch it back. I wasn't exactly crystal clear of mind, so maybe I've got it all wrong.

anyone else get that feeling that something was a little off?

having never seen them before, maybe it's just how he comes across. Clearly he likes a drink so that is obviously going to mean sometimes he doesn't quite hit the sweet spot. We can all attest to that I'm sure.

People singing Foo Fighters songs? man that's pretty horrible. You should've moved somewhere else.

Around me the crowd was decent, not amazing but seemed to listen, especially in the later songs.

I thought Matt was pretty cool, he's not Dave Grohl but his stage persona is entertaining, and I loved watching him lose it. I kinda anticipated him going into the crowd, and was dissapointed he didn't, but never mind really.

I think the main problem was the spot, most of the audience didn't know them, and also the setlist was a big problem. They lost a lot of the audience with all the new songs and it took them a while to recoup them. From the England climax up until Terrible Love, people seemed mostly into it, but that run was quite short. And Turtleneck was an awful closer - even though attempting 'Vanderlye' singalong with this crowd might have been suicidal. Should've closed with 'Terrible Love' and added something else before, something like Afraid of Everyone, Graceless, Mistaken for Strangers or Squalor Victoria.

Edited by yaniv297
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

People singing Foo Fighters songs? man that's pretty horrible. You should've moved somewhere else.

Yeah it was the pits to be honest. I didn't want to go barging around trying to find a new spot and end up annoying other people so thought I'd just stick it out. 

Obviously all foo's fans aren't one and the same,  but it definitely helped ensure I didn't stick around for their show.

Actually maybe I should have, and just screamed "IM MR NOVEMBER, I WONT FUCK US OVER" at the top of my lungs for 2 hours...

im sure that would have been popular...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to clashes we were foolishly at the back - loads of space and the three of us off our nuts - loving it.

Seen the National at every chance since first seeing them on the Other stage back in 2010 (Matt was kind enough to jump into the crowd, make his way out to me, tap my mate on the head and go back!!) For me the band is contagious - first listen, interesting and some good, then the bug bites and you're off. Matt losing it and banter in the band are all part of the immersion.

I did think the setlist was strange - festivals are all about the familiar and the easy to digest - a couple of new ones, ok, but an odd decision.

Having watched it on iplayer, I wish we'd moved all the way to the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Due to clashes we were foolishly at the back - loads of space and the three of us off our nuts - loving it.

Seen the National at every chance since first seeing them on the Other stage back in 2010 (Matt was kind enough to jump into the crowd, make his way out to me, tap my mate on the head and go back!!) For me the band is contagious - first listen, interesting and some good, then the bug bites and you're off. Matt losing it and banter in the band are all part of the immersion.

I did think the setlist was strange - festivals are all about the familiar and the easy to digest - a couple of new ones, ok, but an odd decision.

Having watched it on iplayer, I wish we'd moved all the way to the front.

Wasn't much better up front to be honest. I was maybe three rows back in the pit and I was surrounded by people saving their spot for the foos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...