Zoo Music Girl

The National

3 minutes ago, Gregcharlie said:

Can't rely on what you read in the NME

Was from this article. No actual quote but she did a few exclusive sort of reveals with them. Biffy subbing Ed was one too I think

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/nme/news/music/emily-eavis-grime-feels-like-new-punk-other-stage-headliner-2033748%3Fsource%3Ddam

Edited by strummer77

11 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Emily already told NME that Boy Better Know are headlining the Other on Sunday.

and as for Elbow, they can only play on Friday IIRC, and the NME have said that The XX are subbing the Pyramid that day.

yep, and with Royal Blood talking about their "great slot on Friday" we can only imagine that's them being told they're 3rd, not 4th, and that ruins my holding out for Radiohead somehow bagging The XX and The National as their 2 curated lead-ins, which would have been perfect for me. Now can only hope it's Manics 4th on the Friday (and before anyone suggests it, Manics are NOT opening Other on Fri at 11am after a gig that ends at 11pm or later the night before)

Edited by tevaburger

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

Was from this article. No actual quote but she did a few exclusive sort of reveals with them. Biffy subbing Ed was one too I think

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/nme/news/music/emily-eavis-grime-feels-like-new-punk-other-stage-headliner-2033748%3Fsource%3Ddam

Why do you continue to try and spread truths that we do not want to hear?! 

Also what's the maximum number of songs a Pyramid sub-headliner gets? 15? That's nowhere near enough for a set by the National, let's all just agree it'd be a terrible slot for them and avoid it like the plague.

They could feasibly get a longer set as a sub, if the Foos get their seemingly endless set length, and there's 1 less act on the Pyramid than in previous years. Speculative, of course.

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

They could feasibly get a longer set as a sub, if the Foos get their seemingly endless set length, and there's 1 less act on the Pyramid than in previous years. Speculative, of course.

Hoping something like this could happen, although seems unlikely that The National would get a longer set than others - not exactly a super special sub, are they? The smallest one this year by a large margin. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Hoping something like this could happen, although seems unlikely that The National would get a longer set than others - not exactly a super special sub, are they? The smallest one this year by a large margin. 

Yeah, by this I mean more in the 75-90 minute bracket than the 60-70 minute one. Extra couple songs, nowt mental.

What about Other sub? Again not an ideal slot for them, but it's been used for acts of similar stature in recent years (PJ, Pixies)

Would I prefer that over pyramid sub...? Not sure 

47 minutes ago, mario man said:

What about Other sub? Again not an ideal slot for them, but it's been used for acts of similar stature in recent years (PJ, Pixies)

Would I prefer that over pyramid sub...? Not sure 

I think I would.

On 21/04/2017 at 0:43 PM, lazzareo said:

My intro to The National and my main favourites over the last few years started and grew to something like this over time, although they are a band where songs grow on you and faves change frequently.  But if I had to pick a Top 15 of my faves (order is my introduction to the songs rather than where they rate from 1 to 15):

1. England
  2. Runaway
  3. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks
  4. Abel
  5. All The Wine
  6. About Today
  7. Start A War
  8. Fake Empire
  9. Mr November
  10. Humiliation
  11. Pink Rabbits
  12. Heavenfaced
  13. Demons
  14. Lean
  15. Graceless

On 22/04/2017 at 1:54 PM, Will-2609 said:

As a selection of my favourite tracks to try out, hit up Pink Rabbits, Lit Up, Slow Show, Fake Empire, Karen, All the Wine, Mr November, Apartment Story, Bloodbuzz Ohio, Lemonworld, Conversation 16. Not really sure on the chances of them all being played but they're all brilliant songs.

Got a great playlist together now as a result of everyones suggestions, thanks for all your replies. Favourite track changes daily! I know everyone listens to music differently but lyrics can be as important to me as the music itself and these guys have really hit a nerve with a lot of theirs (in a good way). Really looking forward to seeing them live now, they've become one of my 'must see's' of the week. See you there - I'll be the guy miming the lyrics incorrectly then belting out the chorus ;)

• Upvote 1

On 07/04/2017 at 9:15 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

You pass the initiation. Now it's time to move on to the others. 

One of us. One of us!

Well...took a while to crack High Violet. Much longer than boxer for some reason. it's getting really good! Alligator up next I guess!

3 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Well...took a while to crack High Violet. Much longer than boxer for some reason. it's getting really good! Alligator up next I guess!

Alligator always seems like Boxer's younger less regarded brother but honestly it's fantastic, especially secret meeting, Karen, Abel and Mr November of course

Just listening to "the essentials" playlist on iTunes.

Heard Pink Rabbits for the first time ever about 30 minutes ago, been on repeat since. Can't believe I've not had this song in my life until now!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, McCor said:

Just listening to "the essentials" playlist on iTunes.

Heard Pink Rabbits for the first time ever about 30 minutes ago, been on repeat since. Can't believe I've not had this song in my life until now!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to City Middle on headphones- surely I can't be the only one who appreciates this masterpiece? 

29 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Listen to City Middle on headphones- surely I can't be the only one who appreciates this masterpiece? 

City Middle is an underappreciated masterpiece actually. I forget it until I listen but those lyrics are some of my favourites. "Parking your car you said I'm overwhelmed..." Gorgeous.

32 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

City Middle is an underappreciated masterpiece actually. I forget it until I listen but those lyrics are some of my favourites. "Parking your car you said I'm overwhelmed..." Gorgeous.

Yep, I love everything about that song- the lyrics, the music, the vocals

4 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I truly believe only Matt Berringer can make a lyric about pissing in a sink sound so beautiful.

Edited by Johnkhutch

The line that led me to The National was the droll delivery of "when I walk into a room I do not light it up", thanks to 6Music making Demons song of the week when it came out.  Imagine my glee when I grabbed the album the next day and discovered my now-favourite use of the f word in a song ever immediately follows it. 

Frustrating to be so late to the game but also satisfying to have a back catalogue to delve into.  I did an album a month so I didn't get too full too fast.

• Upvote 1

What's the dream setlist? And likely...? Listening to iTunes essentials so far, got a few favourites I'd like to hear 

These are pretty much nailed on...

Fake Empire

Mr November

Bloodbuzz Ohio

Terrible Love

Sorrow

Graceless

Demons

Mistaken for Strangers

Vanderlyle Cry Baby Geeks

Slow Show

Would love to hear Runaway and Abel though.