The National

Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, CHRLY said:

I think The Pyramid is a bad place for them. It's a massive field and there'll be lots of casuals about. Down the front should be alright but I think it'll turn out like Beck did last year, a good performance but not perticilarly memorable because the crowd just aren't into it. 

I feel like if they headlined the Other it'd be a smaller but more intense crowd, LCD style. Also it'd be better in the dark.

If it comes down to these vs The Avalanches, I could see myself choosing the latter, which is strange considering I've been on here pleading for the National to play for years. I might just prefer to have a big party than see one of my favourite bands and be disappointed.

Sums up my thoughts, particularly the clash against Avalanches

1 minute ago, CHRLY said:

I think The Pyramid is a bad place for them. It's a massive field and there'll be lots of casuals about. Down the front should be alright but I think it'll turn out like Beck did last year, a good performance but not perticilarly memorable because the crowd just aren't into it. 

I feel like if they headlined the Other it'd be a smaller but more intense crowd, LCD style. Also it'd be better in the dark.

If it comes down to these vs The Avalanches, I could see myself choosing the latter, which is strange considering I've been on here pleading for the National to play for years. I might just prefer to have a big party than see one of my favourite bands and be disappointed.

Aye that is a conundrum and a shite clash to boot. Tbh there isn't really a scenario where I see The National pulling this off (or at least the crowd responding to it) so this should be an easy choice, but it's The National... at Glastonbury!

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Sorry that wasn't clear - I meant why is it no good for CHRLY specifically? An expected clash?

Ahh, I just meant no good for me in terms of the stage/time, not very clear from me :lol:

Though like I said, if they do come up vs The Avalanches it could be a tough one. I might have to see my mood on the day.

42 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Is it likely that these guys will be subbing radiohead? I know nothing about them but if they are going to be subbing Radiohead I might as well familiarise myself as I'm going to be up front for their entire set.

Seems all but confirmed that The xx are subbing Radiohead.

It's hard to be disappointed because it's The National at Glastonbury, but it will definitely be a tough slot for them to nail. 

On the flip side, it potentially means the main big acts I want to see all won't clash with each other. If the Flaming Lips end up in a weird daytime slot on the Friday I'll be bowing at the alter of the clash gods.

this is reminiscent of the "Tame Impala are going to be a complete and utter failure playing in front of a load of bored Adele fans" argument from last year.

the pit and many rows behind the barrier will be full of people wanting to see The National. it won't be a random crowd of people scratching their heads wondering who they are.

the Pyramid chair brigade will as usual be plonked half way back the field drinking pimms and talking. or off getting some food. or at the bar. or maybe even at another stage. they won't be near the front.

up at the front however, surrounded by National fans, I'll automatically assume that they're "nailing it" because I can't see or hear otherwise. I'll be having a good time. hopefully the whingers and quitters will have a good time elsewhere and won't regret their decision too much when they inevitably watch it back on iplayer a few days later.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

this is reminiscent of the "Tame Impala are going to be a complete and utter failure playing in front of a load of bored Adele fans" argument from last year.

the pit and many rows behind the barrier will be full of people wanting to see The National. it won't be a random crowd of people scratching their heads wondering who they are.

the Pyramid chair brigade will as usual be plonked half way back the field drinking pimms and talking. or off getting some food. or at the bar. or maybe even at another stage. they won't be near the front.

up at the front however, surrounded by National fans, I'll automatically assume that they're "nailing it" because I can't see or hear otherwise. I'll be having a good time. hopefully the whingers and quitters will have a good time elsewhere and won't regret their decision too much when they inevitably watch it back on iplayer a few days later.

I get what you're saying, but Tame Impala are a lot more 'fun' and have far more recognisable songs to an average festival goer than The National. Maybe you're right and National fans will show up en-masse near the front (and I'll be doing my best to make sure I'm amongst them) but I still think that them opening for Foos is gonna be a weird one for sure and just not their audience. Feel like it has far more chance of going the way of Beck before Coldplay than Tame Impala before Adele. Here's hoping they deliver a good show either way and don't let it affect them - Beck's mentioning of how weird the crowd/situation was made the whole thing that bit more awkward I thought.

Tame Impala - and all the other Pyramid subs in recent memory - have a much wider mainstream appeal that The National.

You can still put on a good gig without the crowd fully on your side, but all of my favourite gigs had both. That's where my worry is, I know I'll still go along and most likely really enjoy it regardless of the circumstances, but I can't help feeling that this placement makes it less likely to go down as an all time great gig.

14 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

For every Tame Impala there will be a Beck, where the reverse happened, with most people down front waiting for Coldplay and people there just for Beck being further back. I imagine a lot of Foos fans will automatically be in the front pit for whoever subs them to ensure their prime spot for Dave's upcoming display of physical endurance. So I can easily see another Beck situation occuring. 

I think the point people are trying to make is that The National at Glastonbury, headlining the Other stage (or possibly subbing Radiohead) would have LCD Soundsystem level of potential. Now that they seem to be subbing FF, the ceiling for how good a show it will be is lower. 

If LCD subbed Muse it would have been ace because they're one of the best live acts around with a rabid fanbase, but headlining the Other stage clearly elevated it to legendary status.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Anecdotal evidence suggests it may actually be the opposite. The pit will get filled by Foo fans wanting a good spot whereas the mid to back of the field will be people watching the National and then leaving.

That seems to be the efestivals reporting of Beck last year, anyway. 

Years ago our group were enjoying Kasabian  at the Pyramid  and a couple asked us about the band on stage.  They admitted they were only really attending the festival to see Bruce and were not convinced by the unruly shower on stage !!!

11 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Anecdotal evidence suggests it may actually be the opposite. The pit will get filled by Foo fans wanting a good spot whereas the mid to back of the field will be people watching the National and then leaving.

That's what it was like for Cave - I was a few rows from the front and everyone around me was waiting for Mumfords. Halfway through a guy asked me who was on stage. That said, Cave smashed it - one of my favourite ever gigs - but The National might not. But I know I'll enjoy it either way. Just got to get in the zone. For me, though, that zone might not be right down the front. I find it easier to block out casuals and non-interesteds chatting if I'm further back.

13 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sunday's different tho init? I feel like people would be less likely to dart from stage to stage on a Sunday and there's a few thousand more people on site too, and they're often generalised (rightly or wrongly, I dunno) as Pyramid dwellers.

Tho I don't know if there will stand to be much difference if Katy Perry is on directly before as believed. Just gotta hope something as tempting for the masses as The 1975 was is on the Other Stage at the same time as the Cincinatti sad sacks.

I would suggest there's a bit more of a crossover between the National and Foo Fighters - anecdotal but I know a fair few who want to watch both, and my present self wants to watch The National, and a loyalty to teenage past me will mean I watch the Foos.

Whereas Beck and Coldplay have little in common. I think it'll be ok.