The National

Zoo Music Girl

Fucking hell that was glorious. Glad you enjoyed it Russy!

That's the first time I've seen them play all 5 of my favourite songs: Abel, All The Wine, Afraid Of Everyone, England and About Today (which was incredible). Loved every second, emotional, cathartic, bloody great fun. Long setlist as ever and band on great form. We were quite far back but the sound was ace. Crowd was quite poor but we went for it, fuelled by all the wine.

I love ths band.

That was good. Glad I got a standing ticket (thanks wosman) in the end, it looked pretty dead up in the seats. Probably didn't enjoy it quite as much as ally pally last year, but I think mainly because I was shattered and had hardly eaten all day, which was an oversight. Luckily the company of a very drunk woman gave me a boost of energy for the last few songs, and really annoyed everyone else in the close vicinity. Don't Swallow The Cap, About Today and Terrible Love were the highlights.

I didn't like Wild Beasts that much, even though I quite enjoy their latest album. Not sure what to make of them, there's some good songwriting but they occasionally sound really shit. Like Imagine Dragons, or something.

Joey Barton was in there loving life dishing out poppers, too.

Any chance of seeing the National at Glasto or is this it from them for a long time now?

I reckon that's it from them for a while. A shame.

I was thinking last night, where would you place them at glastonbury now if they were to play?

They've progressed from headlining JP in 2008 to 3 or 4 down on the other in 2010(?).

I guess it would have to be pyramid sub or other stage headliner? but I dont think they'd pull that vast a crowd.

I wish I'd seen them in 2008.

Edited by russycarps

Ha - have to say that the 'Pyramid Headline' stuff is massively pie-in-the-sky. To be honest I'd think an Other Stage Headliner is a bit of a push. Like it or not, the majority of the public haven't even heard of TN.

Thought yesterday was pretty good. Disagree with whoever above said the TWFM stuff doesn't stack up. Demons aside (average song, with an even worse arrangement yesterday) I think they're excellent. Hard to Find and Pink Rabbits are moving tunes, Don't Swallop the Cap is slightly National-by-numbers but still alright, and This is the Last Time is a good all-rounder.

Always forget how good Afraid of Everyone is live. And always disppointed when they leave our Apartment Story and Daughters of Soho Riots.

02.... well it doesn't really help anything does it? You either sit in dead seats or stand on a perfectly flat area which screws anyone under 6 ft. Sound varies hugely from spot to spot, and drinks are overpriced. But hey-ho, still great to see them.

Edited by Vanderlyle

....Thats an extremely low blow! Nothing like Imagine Dragons at all!

(I can see how maybe an arena support slot wouldn't suit them though, just as seeing them in the day on a main stage at a Festival is a bit shit)

I've only heard one Imagine Dragons song and I can't even remember what it sounds like, but there a couple of moments in Wild Beasts' songs that make me wince a bit and remind of what I'd imagine them to sound like. Odd really, I do like them, I've only heard Present Tense, but I've got it on now, it's good. I love the lead vocalists voice. But I didn't like him as a frontman, or any of the others as performers. Also think the synths sound a bit corny, and seemed more overdone last night.

Can't even imagine The National headlining the Other stage, although I accept that playing the O2 probably suggests they have the popularity. It just seems odd to me.

I forgot about Sorrow, that was another highlight. It was funny the way they introduced it, but I didn't catch what they said beforehand? That they were "forced" to play it, or something?

Yeah, I guess that explains why they said they'd "play it just once", or words to that effect. Pretty impressive and interesting though.

I think the High Violet songs worked the best for me. Afraid of Everyone as well, with Sufjan's (he's a very attractive man, isn't he?) backing vocals. City Middle is top of my list for songs I need to see, now. (I don't actually have a list, but I should probably make one.)

Edited by bocumaroy

* They played Guest Room! They fucking well played Guest Room! Finally! Followed by All The Wine! Lost my shit...

* About Today and Pink Rabbits gloriously heart-rendingly amazing

* I remember everything!

* Crowd was dead as the proverbial dodo. Right near the front and passive duds stood all around us - until Terrible Love when Matt went walkies. I turned round, looked up at the upper seating, and the whole place was clapping and singing along and I had a bit of a 'wow, my boys really have got massive' moment. Seriously, if they pitch the next album right, and with ME's comments about moving away from traditional megastar headliners, why not give them the show?

* How did Matt get up there?!

* Smuggling hip flasks of whisky into the o2 is easy

* I was still being sick at about 6pm yesterday

Perfect, as ever. Until next time boys. Wherever and whenever that may be.

Edited by Dog Burger

. Odd really, I do like them, I've only heard Present Tense, but I've got it on now, it's good. I love the lead vocalists voice.

Ah! Give their olderalbums a go, its bit less err "mainstream" sounding to a large extent :P

I'll err stop the thread hijack now and stop preaching :P

Edited by LondonTom

* They played Guest Room! They fucking well played Guest Room! Finally! Followed by All The Wine! Lost my shit...

* About Today and Pink Rabbits gloriously heart-rendingly amazing

* I remember everything!

* Crowd was dead as the proverbial dodo. Right near the front and passive duds stood all around us - until Terrible Love when Matt went walkies. I turned round, looked up at the upper seating, and the whole place was clapping and singing along and I had a bit of a 'wow, my boys really have got massive' moment. Seriously, if they pitch the next album right, and with ME's comments about moving away from traditional megastar headliners, why not give them the show?

* How did Matt get up there?!

* Smuggling hip flasks of whisky into the o2 is easy

* I was still being sick at about 6pm yesterday

Perfect, as ever. Until next time boys. Wherever and whenever that may be.

I think part of this is due to the time and place of the gig though. There's no proper cloakrooms at the O2 and anyone who has come from outside London for a gig on a week night in the middle of November is going to at least have a coat or a bag with them.

I'd got the train to London earlier in the day and was staying overnight so I'd been lugging a big bag around all day and was already knackered by the time the gig started.

I think part of this is due to the time and place of the gig though. There's no proper cloakrooms at the O2 and anyone who has come from outside London for a gig on a week night in the middle of November is going to at least have a coat or a bag with them.

I'd got the train to London earlier in the day and was staying overnight so I'd been lugging a big bag around all day and was already knackered by the time the gig started.

I guess so. But then I'd done a full day's work in Bath, and got the train to London (with a coat on), and my friend was ill, but we were both dancing and singing our hearts out for the whole gig. I guess it depends on your mental state to start with (and the amount of wine and whisky you've put away!) but I don't think there's anything that could have stopped me from giving it some for the duration of the gig. It's The National!

• 3 weeks later...

They've just been announced for a festival in Ohio in March. Could they be touring next year after all?

Looking at the website for the festival, it seems to just be a series of gigs booked by one of The National so I wouldn't look too much into it. They might play a few new songs though which would be good.

• 3 months later...