The National

Zoo Music Girl

Fuck it, I'm going. Feel a bit regretful to have sold my standing ticket now, but I did need that money, and it might make a nice change. I've never been bothered at all about going to gigs alone, I actually prefer it, but that's always standing. I'll have to be drunk enough to not have the whole experience ruined by being uncomfortable sat next to the same people for hours, but not Antlers levels of memory loss and crying in the street, ideally.

Do people actually stay sat down? That'd kill the vibe a bit.

You ever done that? I wouldn't have the nerve, or the desire to risk being kicked out completely. Haven't been up in the seats since my first gig when I was about 10, so I am worried it might feel a bit sterile. On the other hand, I'm quite looking forward to being able to relax with a drink and go to the toilet in-between acts. I often get there early for a good spot and then end up having to work my way forward from the back anyway.

Edited by bocumaroy

Fuck it, I'm going. Feel a bit regretful to have sold my standing ticket now, but I did need that money, and it might make a nice change. I've never been bothered at all about going to gigs alone, I actually prefer it, but that's always standing. I'll have to be drunk enough to not have the whole experience ruined by being uncomfortable sat next to the same people for hours, but not Antlers levels of memory loss and crying in the street, ideally.

Do people actually stay sat down? That'd kill the vibe a bit.

I've sat down at a gig at the o2 AND been on my own at the time. It was for Leonard Cohen though so not really the sort of music that you needed to be stood up for.

I have been to a few seated gigs there and generally people do stay seated.

I've a standing ticket for the national though.

Going to gigs alone is fine, and if it's a band my gf doesnt really like I'd much rather go alone.

The Strokes (at their height) were more popular than The National are now or have ever been, no question about that.

Although I think you're underestimating their popularity a bit given the wording in your message.

At their height, The Strokes would certainly have been big enough to headline Glasto.

Whether they would have been good enough is open to debate.

The National are still growing in popularity (they haven't sold out to gain popularity) and I think would need another critically acclaimed album to really push for the chance, but in terms of delivering the goods, they would do that better than the vast majority of acts mentioned in any headliner thread this year or most other years

Fair play.

I just don't 'get' them, I was at Latitude the year they headlined and the group I went with were buzzing about it (I'd heard very little of them at the time, thought I'd go along and see if the live performance changed my opinion) it just didn't grip me at all.

Fair play.

I just don't 'get' them, I was at Latitude the year they headlined and the group I went with were buzzing about it (I'd heard very little of them at the time, thought I'd go along and see if the live performance changed my opinion) it just didn't grip me at all.

I was completely the opposite, went to see them on the Other in 2010 not knowing any of their songs and they blew me away

I've sat down at a gig at the o2 AND been on my own at the time. It was for Leonard Cohen though so not really the sort of music that you needed to be stood up for.

I have been to a few seated gigs there and generally people do stay seated.

I've a standing ticket for the national though.

Going to gigs alone is fine, and if it's a band my gf doesnt really like I'd much rather go alone.

Yeah, I hate going to to see an act I love with someone who doesn't really seem to be into it.

I suppose there are worse acts to stay sat down for than The National, but I do imagine it could feel a bit distant/sterile. They're quite danceable at times too.

Yeah, I hate going to to see an act I love with someone who doesn't really seem to be into it.

I suppose there are worse acts to stay sat down for than The National, but I do imagine it could feel a bit distant/sterile. They're quite danceable at times too.

That's the strange thing about them in my eyes. They have this stigma about them that they're a boring band (kinda like Radiohead (and I know people who have never listened to them and just pass them off as a boring band, same as Radiohead)); yet I could easily dance away to The National for an hour and a half. I guess it's just whether their music resonates with you or not.

STAY INSIDE TIL SOMEBODY FINDS US

Damn right. People saying that you don't dance to the National. Have they not seen the Apartment Story video? The wedding was rubbish and NOBODY was dancing until The National started up. If that's not proof, then what do people want?

Psyched for Wednesday. Haven't been to the O2 since Cohen's last gig there - hope this comes close to that.