Zoo Music Girl

The National

They will be playing Boxer in its entirety at Home Coming Festival in Cincinnati at the end of April. They are also headlining Shaky Knees Festival in Atlanta the weekend after that. I am going to that. Jack White and the National headlining the same festival is probably my ultimate concert wish come true.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/02/the-national-to-perform-boxer-in-full-at-homecoming-festival/

6 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

They will be playing Boxer in its entirety at Home Coming Festival in Cincinnati at the end of April. They are also headlining Shaky Knees Festival in Atlanta the weekend after that. I am going to that. Jack White and the National headlining the same festival is probably my ultimate concert wish come true.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/02/the-national-to-perform-boxer-in-full-at-homecoming-festival/

I'm going to Homecoming B)

• Like 1

How are they live? How was their Glastonbury set last year? What are their recommended albums, EPs, etc?

Seeing them at All Points East but I don't know too much about them yet, so I want to take a crash course and see what they're about

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

How are they live? How was their Glastonbury set last year? What are their recommended albums, EPs, etc?

Seeing them at All Points East but I don't know too much about them yet, so I want to take a crash course and see what they're about

They’re great live, though if you’re not a fan I doubt they’d turn you into one based on seeing them live. 

I’d suggest starting with Boxer or High Violet but really you can’t go wrong with any of their last 5 albums, all of them are fantastic. If you like most of the other bands at All Points East on that day then you’ll probably like The National too.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Buckle yourself in, there's no going back.

• Like 1

Boxer in full at APE?

Hope not, I want the full range from the back catalogue.

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

great live usually. Glastonbury set was good, although strange slot for them and played several new songs that hadn't been released (7/10).

Boxer, High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me are the most accessible.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Boxer in full at APE?

Hope not, I want the full range from the back catalogue.

That would be an absolutely mental decision, surely no chance. 

12 minutes ago, Mattd1205 said:

That would be an absolutely mental decision, surely no chance. 

They seem to be doing it at other gigs...

5 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

The National are the greatest band on the planet.

Check out all of their albums from Alligator onwards. 

You’ll have a great time at APE. See you there!

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They seem to be doing it at other gigs...

They did it in Belgium as a late 10th anniversary celebration and to help make the show more special in apology for moving it to do something with Obama. They're doing it at Homecoming one night out of two, that were billed as unique sets before going on sale. They're the only ones (although I wouldn't be surprised if they did it one night in Dublin where they also have two consecutive nights).

Edited by fightoffyour

Thought Sleep Well Beast was the best album any artist released last year? You probably belong to the fan club!

Been reading into this and I'm struggling to see the point of paying $65 to then pay another $40 for an exclusive t-shirt and presale codes when they've already announced their only UK gig for 2018.

I see they've announced another one of their own festivals in New York too, looking forward to them just becoming festival bookers during album breaks now.

48 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Been reading into this and I'm struggling to see the point of paying $65 to then pay another $40 for an exclusive t-shirt and presale codes when they've already announced their only UK gig for 2018.

I see they've announced another one of their own festivals in New York too, looking forward to them just becoming festival bookers during album breaks now.

Yeah true but it probably will be more than a t-shirt shop when it gets going. Or I'd hope so for the sake of the fans' goodwill.

7 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Same here. Seems a little steep, although yearly exclusive vinyl is appealing...

Fucking hell! Got an email about this earlier and didn't realise you had to pay for it. What a swizz. Sleep Well Beast ain't that good.

The played The Boxer in full last night. 

The Geese of Beverly Road got a run out for the first time in 2018 as well, which pleases me a lot as it's in my APE wish list. 

New song Light Years was also played. 

I noticed they’re doing two hours at Best Kept Secret, I wonder if they’ll get the same at APE since it’s pretty much their gig.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, Tuna said:

fuck RSD, though

Why Tuna ? Why do you feel like that ? :-(

15 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Why Tuna ? Why do you feel like that ? :-(

Lots of reasons FF! Mostly just that I think it's a total ripoff, labels completely taking the picks with "exclusivity" and pricing -- no idea why someone would want a blue 7" for £14 or whatever. Completely lends itself to touts and things too; many many things go instantly and get thrown up online. Sure, you're totally within your right to do it - but that's got nowt to do with RSD. You're not supporting your local record store by buying of some swift geezer on eBay.

And the whole "a record store is for life, not just for RSD" etc etc. Here's a great article written by a record store owner: http://thequietus.com/articles/19946-record-store-day-2016-shops-bad-reissues-bleugh 

The idea of going to a record shop and seeing a few bands and having a chat and a beer is great -- but it's not what it's about these days, imo.