The National

Zoo Music Girl

23 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Well that was fantastic. Based on Dublin and Edinburgh it seems like the first night is more older tracks and the second the big hitters from the recent albums.

I'm hoping Manchester breaks that rule! Tonight was pretty similar set to Edinburgh night 2.  Almost entirely the last 3 albums. Good to see Hard to Find back on the setlist, but hoping for something special tomorrow.

It was great that the band stopped the show when they saw some trouble in the crowd - think someone had fainted. They then replayed the song that they had very nearly finished anyhow.

Edited by fowls

Fun for all the family that! Very pleased we got Slow Show and Apartment Story, nearly welled up for Slow Show. Afraid OF Everyone was an unexpected highlight, Fake Empire sounded incredible, Ohio was massive, Mr November went off. I will say I was slightly disappointed with how a lot of the new songs came across, with the exception of Carin and Guilty Party, which were both great.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Fun for all the family that! Very pleased we got Slow Show and Apartment Story, nearly welled up for Slow Show. Afraid OF Everyone was an unexpected highlight, Fake Empire sounded incredible, Ohio was massive, Mr November went off. I will say I was slightly disappointed with how a lot of the new songs came across, with the exception of Carin and Guilty Party, which were both great.

I really enjoyed loads of the new songs. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness is an absolute beast. Guilty Party was the highlight of the new ones agreed, not even one of my favourites on the new record but really does sound excellent live.

First time seeing them so I didn't know how much of a monster they turned Terrible Love into live. 23 song set list though - cracking value!

Edited by arcade fireman

10 hours ago, fowls said:

Tonight was 10 times the show last night was! Abel into Sorrow was magic, and surprised by how much they made the New Order cover sound like a National song.

Was a magnificent performance thanks to a true e fester for selling me his tickets when he couldn't go and not trying to cash in ...thats the way.  Was it me or did lot of crowd not pick up on the fact it was a new order cover . Matt is a great showman everything looked and sounded great and atmosphere was good. Only one bug bear usual dicks talking all the way through some of the likes of I need my girl through to Abel.  

• Upvote 1

Very glad I went yesterday, the set list was far better for me, having never seen Wasp Nest before and Geese (my favourite song) only once. Of course some crackers missed out on though, Slow Show in particular. FWIW @GETOFFAMYLAWN I'll Still Destroy You (my highlight of SWB) seemed to fall a bit flat in the crowd where I was, even though the likes of Carin and Guilty Party went down well.

Matt seemed to struggle with I'll Still Destroy you in Edinburgh, they had to restart it after he messed up the timing/lyrics at the start of the chorus. I thought all the new songs they did sounded great except that one, Dark Side of the Gym and the title track. Dark Side of the Gym was fine and I love it on record but it killed the mood a bit after a run of really well recieved songs. The title track was a bit messy live, I guess it is on record too but it comes across better there.

Thought they were great last night, though I think I'd have preferred Friday's set (Conversation 16 is one of my favourites and I've never seen them play it). Guilty Party would have been the highlight but the girl next to me decided to give her friend an in depth lyrical analysis of the song during it, which ruined it a bit. Got hit by one of Matt's drinks too!

5 hours ago, crocodiles said:

Was a magnificent performance thanks to a true e fester for selling me his tickets when he couldn't go and not trying to cash in ...that's the way.  Was it me or did lot of crowd not pick up on the fact it was a new order cover . Matt is a great showman everything looked and sounded great and atmosphere was good. Only one bug bear usual dicks talking all the way through some of the likes of I need my girl through to Abel.  

Yeah, chatters are far worse at National gigs. So many more sedate songs that when one group stops talking, another starts. Infuriating!!

To be honest, I didn't pick up on it! I'd only ever heard Iron and Wine's cover and didn't know it was a New Order song until I looked it up after the show... I did figure they'd play some sort of cover at some point after Matt talked about how much Manchester means to them, but they didn't make much effort to introduce the song itself. It's a total cliché to say that and then cover The Smiths or Joy Division.

My friend gave me a New Order vinyl, it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap. Haha

Edited by fowls

4 hours ago, fowls said:

Yeah, chatters are far worse at National gigs. So many more sedate songs that when one group stops talking, another starts. Infuriating!!

To be honest, I didn't pick up on it! I'd only ever heard Iron and Wine's cover and didn't know it was a New Order song until I looked it up after the show... I did figure they'd play some sort of cover at some point after Matt talked about how much Manchester means to them, but they didn't make much effort to introduce the song itself. It's a total cliché to say that and then cover The Smiths or Joy Division.

My friend gave me a New Order vinyl, it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap. Haha

Love vigilantes probably not amongst most famous new order songs ever but still in Manchester would have expected a bigger reaction . Any new order fans would know it ....then again audience weren't all as old as me :P

On 22/09/2017 at 8:18 PM, rhg_99 said:

England, Squalor Victoria, Fake Empire, Afraid of Everyone and Daughters Of The Soho Riots are the non-SWB tracks i most want to hear on monday.

buzzing for tonight! One of those bands where they've got too many great tracks to fit them all in one night. Would love to hear ADA and Humiliation, aswell as those above. Going solo so if anyone spots a 6ft 3'' 21 year old wearing a green jumper feel free to say hi! Just got a full day of uni until 6pm to get through before the fun begins.

Anyone solo-ing on Wednesday night at the Apollo? A friend of mine is coming but was clever enough to buy himself a cricket ticket for the same day and is stubbornly refusing to leave early in the case of a later finish... suffices to say I'm still getting don early-ish and down the front. He can fight his way through the crowds a la Matt in Mr November if he wishes!