The National

Zoo Music Girl

21 hours ago, Tuna said:

So are some of these shows HV shows and some not?

I assume they say out loud which are the HV sets and which aren't. Rock in Rio Lisboa has not explicitly been said to be as such.

I'd prefer it if any UK airing for High Violet is somewhere other than Glasto, even if they do play Glastonbury. Its my favourite National album and I don't have Glasto tickets.

34 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I assume they say out loud which are the HV sets and which aren't. Rock in Rio Lisboa has not explicitly been said to be as such.

I'd prefer it if any UK airing for High Violet is somewhere other than Glasto, even if they do play Glastonbury. Its my favourite National album and I don't have Glasto tickets.

Yeah same. Would be bloody annoying!

I'm hoping they do a show I can actually get to, whether in the UK or maybe even in Europe (been considering Primavera and people over there seem to think it's a possibility).

What bugs me about it slightly is that the shows don't explicitly say "playing High Violet in full" as they have with other album shows I've been to, Manics, Suede etc. Wondering if they've left it purposefully vague so it just entails doing a few songs from it rather than the whole thing? Or am I just cynical?

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah same. Would be bloody annoying!

I'm hoping they do a show I can actually get to, whether in the UK or maybe even in Europe (been considering Primavera and people over there seem to think it's a possibility).

What bugs me about it slightly is that the shows don't explicitly say "playing High Violet in full" as they have with other album shows I've been to, Manics, Suede etc. Wondering if they've left it purposefully vague so it just entails doing a few songs from it rather than the whole thing? Or am I just cynical?

I'm really hoping for a UK show as I think I'll struggle to get the time of work for EU (but I would try!

Interesting final point though, initially I figured you were just being cynical because of course they'll play the whole album, but then reading the description from the Best Kept Secret website... 

"On the occasion of the 10th anniversary, the band around Matt Berninger and the Dessner and Devendorf brothers come to Best Kept Secret for a very special headline show. Songs like 'Terrible Love', 'Sorrow', 'Bloodbuzz Ohio', 'England' are central to a set that will have many guest appearances. The National as you never saw them before: this will be a unique show."

Now even I'm unsure. 

Ha yeah the wording on that is weird (although weird in general so perhaps a dodgy translation - "the band around..."?).

But if it is a full album show why not say it? I'd feel well ripped off we only got like four tracks or something.

Also surely it's not a unique show? Or is that poor translation again?

The Homecoming shows in Cincinnati are likely to be the LP in full, but as for the rest, it does look highly vague, I agree.

I like the idea of it being guest performers who actually played on the original LP. High Violet's credits have 26 credited guest musicians on top of the main National 5, including Sufjan Stevens, Justin Vernon, Richard Reed Parry, Nadia Sirota and Thomas Bartlett (Doveman). So maybe it'll be cool if they do something where some of these performers play as part of the show.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ha yeah the wording on that is weird (although weird in general so perhaps a dodgy translation - "the band around..."?).

But if it is a full album show why not say it? I'd feel well ripped off we only got like four tracks or something.

Also surely it's not a unique show? Or is that poor translation again?

I think you're probably right somewhat by poor translation. 

I imagine it'll be more than four tracks, to be honest the album's so strong I can't see why they wouldn't just play it all!

I assume, given the line about many guests, that by "unique" they just mean it won't be a "normal" tour show.

But I'm just as much in the dark as you are. 

Matt Berninger said in an interview with NME that its going to be High Violet in full and that it will be more than just Homecoming & BKS: https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/the-nationals-matt-berninger-im-writing-so-much-im-like-bradley-cooper-in-limitless-2589661

So the hype train does have potential for a UK show. Hopefully its not just Glastonbury as I don't have a ticket, even though it would be cool to have it pro-shot.

40 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Matt Berninger said in an interview with NME that its going to be High Violet in full and that it will be more than just Homecoming & BKS: https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/the-nationals-matt-berninger-im-writing-so-much-im-like-bradley-cooper-in-limitless-2589661

So the hype train does have potential for a UK show. Hopefully its not just Glastonbury as I don't have a ticket, even though it would be cool to have it pro-shot.

I am starting to have nightmares with the The National potential clash 😄

• 2 weeks later...

What are the odds of them popping up at the farm then? Its 60 quid a pop for their show here in May and, although I’m sure it’d be fantastic and the setting is one of the best spots in the city, I’m reluctant to depart with those kinda beans if I can see em a month later.

Fair enough. I’ll get tickets. Worst case i see em twice.

Just throwing it out there, I think they’d be sublime as a secret park stage closer - if that mythical slot isnt fully gone since that radiohead crowd capacity issues one?

- on that note, given its the 50th, pulling out the stops, would be interesting to see when the site map is released if the park looks a bit more spacious this year

Edited by mattiloy
Edit

11 hours ago, mattiloy said:

What are the odds of them popping up at the farm then? Its 60 quid a pop for their show here in May and, although I’m sure it’d be fantastic and the setting is one of the best spots in the city, I’m reluctant to depart with those kinda beans if I can see em a month later.

I think its happening personally. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have a sneaky suspicion... The info placing Noel Gallagher as Saturday sub leaves space for a band to play the Other opposite T. Swizz on Sunday night. There are a few contenders but I think they’re in the running.

I'm still placing them Saturday night but I think any of them are an option. Tbh I can see them doing the Pyramid again as in their case where they played last doesn't really matter. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have a sneaky suspicion... The info placing Noel Gallagher as Saturday sub leaves space for a band to play the Other opposite T. Swizz on Sunday night. There are a few contenders but I think they’re in the running.

Please don't do this to me. 

Other Stage Sunday night would be the ideal placing for me and absolutely make my festival. Well my year actually. 

Edited by zeppelin
A rogue apostrophe.