The National

Zoo Music Girl

Was standing central and midway back , listening to system dreams guitar part and someone bashed into the guy next to me at quite a pace. Was about to have a word , then realised it was Matt who had gone into the audience mid-song ha. I’m pretty unobservant at best of times but not clocking the bands frontman is 3 yards away  is a personal best/worst.

Really enjoyed the gig, first time I have seen them at their own show (only Glasto before). Some of the new stuff sounded good but though the three after bloodbuzz were a little bit of a lull. Overall well happy with the setlist though and hadn’t expected to get 24 tracks 

Cardiff last night - enjoyed the show! They played for bloody ages, 2 hours 15 by my count.

If I was being super picky...., probably not the best time I've seen them (still enjoyed it, but high standards to replicate). All the new songs individually sounded great, but the latest album isn't my favourite and there was a couple back to back in the middle that dragged. That said, I really loved a couple I wasn't expecting to love (live speaking).

And it reminded me why I'm not a fan of arena gigs, they are one of the few bands I'd bother for.... felt half full really to me.

All the new songs and no Not In Kansas! (Which I was hoping for but not expecting)

But, if you look at the older stuff they did play, we got bloody loads of it - Green Gloves, Slow Show, Afraid of Everyone, Wasp Nest....

Jenny Lewis sounded great.

A great evening all in all, super picky points accepted. 

Loved the set at Cardiff last night.  Not seen them for a while and forgot how good his voice is live; effortless! Not a massive fan of the arena. I last saw them at the O2 in Bristol which was great. Unfortunately Cardiff doesn't really have anything between Tramshed (which is a great venue) and the Motorpoint unfortunately. Would love to see them headline The Park next year.  Not sure how likely that is though... 

Fantastic show. I normally hate the Motorpoint (still don't love it) but the sound was on point where I was standing, vocals were sounding great. 2 Hours and 15 minute set list too. Absolutely blinding. I really enjoy the new album too so was a great mix of tracks. Also never seen a singer come that far in to the crowd before either walking right past me, apparently served at the bar (not my photos). Really hoping they are at Glastonbury next year now again.

ELbLuhoX0AYEkkR.thumb.jpg.1c0c0cc585d97b8fad33f74c6a3e2cf7.jpg

ELbLujZXkAc9f8Y.thumb.jpg.bc0582dcc45d91f2f4c556527d700e7a.jpg

ELbLuhmWkAEner0.thumb.jpg.53b6400834b2b3eea2671b44bf593f6d.jpg

Setlist in Notts was ace, pretty much ideal for me given the current tour. Atmosphere felt a bit flat though, albeit the band themselves smashed it. Really enjoyed it - just a shame the crowd wasn't more in to it, which is an unusual criticism for a Nottingham gig.

Also, Matt needs to tone down the screaming. He's possibly the best front man out there and I love the energy, but his voice sounded quite ropey at parts tonight and I worry the screaming is going do long term damage to his vocals, especially with how intensive their tours have been lately. Sounded perfect for I Need My Girl, England etc., but there were noticble wobbles in his voice throughout the night. More honey, less screaming ?

They might be the best live act out there atm though. 

Starting to think they are a real possibility for Other stage headliner. 

Honestly thought this run of gigs would be their last in Europe for a while but new stuff keeps popping up. 

Sunday night would be a dreamy way to end the festival.

(If I get a ticket). 

I would love to see them headlining the other, but you think they're big enough among the Glasto crowd? I mean, the crowd at the Pyramid in 2017 was disappointing(and also the set TBH, enjoyed way more in the non-festival sets I've seen them, but that's related for half of the set being complete new songs)