The National

Zoo Music Girl

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Light Years and Rylan on a playlist that Taylor Swift shared to her gazillion fans

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/playlist-by-me/pl.ae7cd2db31fc4d519725b6747b9074a5

she had one for her last album too which had Carin at the Liquor Store, and Dark Side of the Gym on it.

and some El Vy on a previous one too.

That's my gal!

35 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I really wish I knew if that was a good or a bad thing - I hope it's a good thing.

It's not unfortunately. It's even beyond an automatic skip for me. Just knowing it's approaching is winding me up. A ginormous steaming turd in the middle of a very good album. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superscally said:

It's not unfortunately. It's even beyond an automatic skip for me. Just knowing it's approaching is winding me up. A ginormous steaming turd in the middle of a very good album. 

Couldn't agree more. The interludes at least are short and link parts of the album as intended but this song sticks out like a sore thumb. Worst song they've ever produced in my eyes, on such a brilliant album too.

Took a few runs through but the album finally clicked for me last night. It could do with a trim (although I’m not familiar enough with track names yet to say which songs should go) but think it’s a pretty great, if not slightly odd, addition to their discography.

I love the fact that the album is followed immediately by Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers on my alphabetical National albums and of course Cardinal Song on media player. It feels like a double album with the first a celebration of women and the second an admittance of imperfection of men. 

Accidental, but brilliant.

I’ve listened to I Am Easy To Find enough times now to have formed an opinion on it... it’s excellent, but had they trimmed some of the fat it could have been an all time great.

Tracks 1-8 are uniformly excellent, as are 13-16. The problem comes with 9-12 which are clunky and just weigh the whole thing down. Annoyingly it’s the choral bits in Not in Kansas that start the rot and Dust Clouds should never have been anywhere near the record.

Light Years is getting dangerously close to Pink Rabbits in my all time list.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in again. I've had the album on pretty heavy rotation since release. 

It's so deep and there's so much going on that it really sucks you in. I share the sentiment that Dust, and the other interludes are annoying.

Favourites are Oblivions and (best of all) The Pull of You. I think that might be the best track they've put on record.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:20 PM, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve listened to I Am Easy To Find enough times now to have formed an opinion on it... it’s excellent, but had they trimmed some of the fat it could have been an all time great.

Tracks 1-8 are uniformly excellent, as are 13-16. The problem comes with 9-12 which are clunky and just weigh the whole thing down. Annoyingly it’s the choral bits in Not in Kansas that start the rot and Dust Clouds should never have been anywhere near the record.

Light Years is getting dangerously close to Pink Rabbits in my all time list.

Absolutely.

Thoughts a couple of weeks on........

Probably my favourite band since REM split...but I haven't found myself heading back to this album as much as I thought I would. There are some stand out moments that fit in the very top of their canon, but on the whole just not grabbed me, and I have tried with repeat listenings. 

But then I loved SWB and I know some didn't, and I didn't go bonkers for TWFM and I know some did, so there you go.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:32 PM, jyoung said:

One thing is for sure... In years to come you're gonna be talking about the Manchester gig. 

Cannot.

Fucking.

Wait.

Same. Until I had to sell my ticket.

Will be seeing them at Mad Cool though which is a silver lining.

Light Years and Oblivions are absolutely gorgeous. There are others which are great too. I don't like interludes anyway but they're short and Dust just reminds me of the movie so I'm OK with it. Excellent album overall and much better than I expected. 

5 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

Light Years and Oblivions are absolutely gorgeous. There are others which are great too. I don't like interludes anyway but they're short and Dust just reminds me of the movie so I'm OK with it. Excellent album overall and much better than I expected. 

Some of the tracks such as Oblivion's and Rylan are in my head 24 hours a day !