The National

Zoo Music Girl

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Is presale really necessary for this tour? Can't imagine them selling out Nottingham Arena at £45 a pop. 

Yeah you’re probably right. Just wanted to make sure. I’ve cheekily asked them if they will still send out the code despite ordering the album after the deadline.

Definitely prefer it over Sleep Well Beast. Think it's their most inconsistent album though and if they narrowed it down to ten tracks it could probably stand alongside any of their others but it drags on a little. 

Quiet Light/So Far So Fast/YHYSWY/Where Is Her Head are the standouts for me

12 minutes ago, mynameismatt said:

Definitely prefer it over Sleep Well Beast. Think it's their most inconsistent album though and if they narrowed it down to ten tracks it could probably stand alongside any of their others but it drags on a little. 

Quiet Light/So Far So Fast/YHYSWY/Where Is Her Head are the standouts for me

Can't agree that it's inconsistent. The only one not doing too much for me, besides the 3 "interludes", is Roman Holiday - but they've got e.g. Fireproof at track 4. on TWFM that is similiar. Dust is probably too long for an interlude but that excepted its only really 13 tracks long. Certainly doesn't drag, and the last  3 tracks are some of the best. This recording of Rylan is phenomenal, so worth the 9 year wait or whatever it is.

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Can't agree that it's inconsistent. The only one not doing too much for me, besides the 3 "interludes", is Roman Holiday - but they've got e.g. Fireproof at track 4. on TWFM that is similiar. Dust is probably too long for an interlude but that excepted its only really 13 tracks long. Certainly doesn't drag, and the last  3 tracks are some of the best. This recording of Rylan is phenomenal, so worth the 9 year wait or whatever it is.

I didn't want to be negative, but I think the inconsistency from me comes from the fact that Her Father In The Pool breaks up a four song run that I love, and the cover during the last minute of Not In Kansas is a bit self indulgent in my opinion. 

The interludes are obviously short but they come at the worst times really. Also never really got the hype about Light Years but I'm missing something there compared to everyone else. 

It is probably my favourite since Boxer don't get me wrong but just think there's some pretty strange decisions.

1 minute ago, Ashl said:

Can't wait to listen, where does it fit in your album order?

Too hard to day without revisiting them all again, and many more listens of this one. After the London gig I honestly thought it could end up on top if the album came together as well as I hoped, and I can't rule that out. For the record/comparison, my order would be something like:

1. Alligator

2. Boxer

3. Cherry Tree

4. TWFM

5. SWB

6. Virginia EP

7. High Violet

8. The National

9. Pablo Honey

10. Sad Songs

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

3 listens today now. It's a goddamn masterpiece. Faultless.

I wish I could listen to any song more than once in a day. It wears them off for me very quickly.

Anyway Im encouraged by your review and other's. I think I'll try to wait till Friday and maybe watch the movie. 

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Too hard to day without revisiting them all again, and many more listens of this one. After the London gig I honestly thought it could end up on top if the album came together as well as I hoped, and I can't rule that out. For the record/comparison, my order would be something like:

1. Alligator

2. Boxer

3. Cherry Tree

4. TWFM

5. SWB

6. Virginia EP

7. High Violet

8. The National

9. Pablo Honey

10. Sad Songs

Ahh good that fills me with excitement other than TWFM and Sad Songs being a little higher that is close to mine!

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

1. Alligator

2. Boxer

3. Cherry Tree

4. TWFM

5. SWB

6. Virginia EP

7. High Violet

8. The National

9. Pablo Honey

10. Sad Songs

High Violet at number 7? Sup with that dude?!

Loving it on first listen, expect it'll keep going up in my estimations with each listen. Also amazing how listening to certain songs in the context of an album can really improve it; wasn't a fan of Hairpin Turns initially but listening to it as part of the album has really changed my mind on it.

Hoping they release the film version of the tracks at some stage, they were just as if not more beautiful.

Also disclaimer to saying it was my 3rd listen: I was at the London gig and have listened back to the Paris gig since, so I’m on about 10 listens of most tunes, but it keeps getting better. I can’t get over how improved Rylan is, and I loved it from the beginning 

roman holiday had the least prior listens and it’s mown getting there. Dust made sense as a link to the movie, and I guess it’s where Mike Mills gets his writing credits.

i don’t agree that Her Father In The Pool breaks a run of songs, it’s too short for that, could just be an outro.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Johnkhutch said:

Also amazing how listening to certain songs in the context of an album can really improve it; wasn't a fan of Hairpin Turns initially but listening to it as part of the album has really changed my mind on it.

Often forget this with the overload of playlists. Going back to an album and listening to it in full (just how it was made to be listened to) has a completely different effect.

First listen in and loving what I'm hearing so far. Quiet Light and Where Is Her Head are my two stand outs so far but overall a really solid record :)

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Don’t know, don’t get me wrong I love it! I love them all. Put it on on my way to the pub to try and rectify things.

It’s above both the EPs for me, without doubt. 

Probably in my top 3, but they are all interchangeable given my mood.

Looking forward to Friday!!