The National

Zoo Music Girl

12 minutes ago, 1986 said:

So the show is just those tracks or is the film involved as well?

I was gutted about having to miss this but it sounds like Manchester is the better deal of the two.

Film, Q+A (band + Mike Mills, the film director) and the show (featuring the collaborators who appear on the album)

Edited by James96

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Excited for tomorrow night now. Never been to this venue before, also the first time I’ve ever been to a gig alone! 

Hey it's a great venue. The whole place is lovely and makes me love London. Leaving the venue afterwards with that warm post gig feeling, walking along the Thames, crossing the Charing Cross bridge and seeing London all lit up. Priceless!

8 minutes ago, Riggins said:

Anyone who's been to previous gigs on this run, did they have any of the new merch? 

Apparently yes

From a post on Reddit:

"30(35?) euro black and orange IAETF shirts. 25 euro!! posters. IAETF pins 5 euro, and the 60 euro black thing - I wasn’t sure if it was a jacket or a shiny shirt. Some sort of long sleeve. The only vinyl was that thing one of the Dessners did with a French guy"

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Apparently yes

From a post on Reddit:

"30(35?) euro black and orange IAETF shirts. 25 euro!! posters. IAETF pins 5 euro, and the 60 euro black thing - I wasn’t sure if it was a jacket or a shiny shirt. Some sort of long sleeve. The only vinyl was that thing one of the Dessners did with a French guy"

Good stuff, and dangerous considering it's payday...! 

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Going to the show tonight. Any nice places to eat/drink in that area?

Best place to drink is the National (!) Theatre bar on the river: The Understudy. Was there last night and as the weathers good everyone was sat outside at tables and deck chairs. If you’re into craft beer there’s a tap takeover by Wild Brewery atm. There’s load of of pop ups on the river there as well as the likes of Wahaca and Wagamama. Also Ping Pong and several others on the walkway just next to the Southbank 

Edited by Mackem
  • Upvote 1

Not sure I really got the film, but it looked really good at least. Wish they'd have skipped the Q&A (or just stopped it after Edith Bowman's questions) and left room for a couple more songs.

The show was great though, already a bit familiar after the videos this week but no real duds and a few proper standouts. I don't really know how to describe it because it's not a radical departure but a lot of it is already giving me a better feeling SWB did.

Also didn't really suffer from hearing so many new songs which is probably a good sign (only really began to lag after Hairpin Turns, a song I actually like), but then they played Rylan and it all lifted off.

If you went you'd probably feel pretty happy about it because they were on good form, but for those who are going Castlefield/Glasgow instead, there wasn't really anything you missed out on

Yeah that was ace. I actually really enjoyed the film and Q and A.

The new album isn’t quite the extension of SWB we thought it might be. Dare I say it’s a “bigger” sound they have with this one? 

Quiet Light and Oblivion’s sounded superb. 

Overall, great night in a great venue.

Excellent gig. Christ knows how they're going to tour it into a similar way then that with all the strings and guest vocalists, I bet there's a lot of songs they might have to potentially omit due to the lack of backing vocalists and strings. They might need to update their live set up and a few more members.