The National

Zoo Music Girl

Just seen an email posted on a Facebook group about the Special Evenings shows that have said they'll include a screening of the film, Q&A with the band and Mike Mills, and then a performance with special guests.  If they get the timings right then should be really good, if it's just 5 songs at the end tacked on then not so much.

So in the end I decided to sell my tickets to the special evening thingy. It wasn't the easiest decision, but i've just had to admit to myself that I don't like their new stuff much. New song is very meh to me and I never really got fully on board with SWB. So in the end spending £50+ to see stuff I probably won't enjoy as much as I would like to seemed a bit crazy... think it all went a bit south for me at that Glastonbury performance.

It's a shame really, I used to love them obsessively (I started this thread!) but sometimes that happens with bands I guess. I'll always love Alligator through to TWFM. And I'll no doubt see them again some time and reassess, just not for £50 and a load of new songs.

Thanks to all who helped me get tickets on the day! You'll be pleased to know they went to other Efesters. Hope you all have a great one :) 

32 minutes ago, mynameismatt said:

Just seen an email posted on a Facebook group about the Special Evenings shows that have said they'll include a screening of the film, Q&A with the band and Mike Mills, and then a performance with special guests.  If they get the timings right then should be really good, if it's just 5 songs at the end tacked on then not so much.

Uh oh, yeah I hope it's a full set and not just a few songs. Would be right disappointed considering I'm travelling from North Yorkshire for it

27 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Uh oh, yeah I hope it's a full set and not just a few songs. Would be right disappointed considering I'm travelling from North Yorkshire for it

Surely they're self-aware enough to know what people want when they pay £50+ for a ticket. I guess if it starts right at 8 then there'll be plenty of time, but can't say I'm that interested in a Q&A. Hopefully just nobody has any questions and we can get on with the good stuff.

Maybe it'll be

8-8:30 short film

8:30-9 Q&A

9-11 Gig

But I'm worried there'll be a gap between and it'll be more like an hour set.

Yeah a few songs tacked on to the end of a Q and A would be balls.

Really hope we get a full gig, even the new album in full plus a handful of other tracks would be good.

Got to think there will be some “proper” UK gigs with this tour as well, either end of this year or start of next. 

25 minutes ago, mynameismatt said:

Surely they're self-aware enough to know what people want when they pay £50+ for a ticket. I guess if it starts right at 8 then there'll be plenty of time, but can't say I'm that interested in a Q&A. Hopefully just nobody has any questions and we can get on with the good stuff.

Maybe it'll be

9-11 Gig

Show starts at 7:30 according to the ticket. I'm sure there'll be plenty of time; just think of the film and Q+A as the support acts I guess

On 3/19/2019 at 9:41 AM, Hugh Jass said:

For anyone wanting to pre-order the special super limited 3 disc coloured vinyl edition (I know some of you will) it's worth noting that Amazon* have £5 off any order over £25 today only so you can pre-order it for £32 which is considerably cheaper than anywhere else online.

*Yes, yes I know, tax.

Edit - I can't read.

Edited by Hawros

13 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Is it REM Mike Mills (guess not, never known him do film?), or a different Mike Mills?

I know nothing about REM but pretty sure its a different guy. I've seen two of his films; Beginners and 20th Century Women, can recommend both. Beginners is a bit twee but still a very heart warming indie romance with a really cute dog (Christopher Plummer also won an Oscar for his performance as a gay man who didn't come out until he hit his 80s). 20th Century Women is about a teen boy being raised in different ways by three women of various ages. Annette Benning is reliably brilliant as the boys mum and it has some really insightful moments about motherhood that as a once young man got me thinking.

You can definitely see why he would work with The National judging by his flicks.

From http://diymag.com/2019/04/04/the-national-new-song-light-years-i-am-easy-to-find-video-watch

The shows, which include a London date at the Royal Festival Hall on 18th April, will feature a screening of the new film and Q&A with its director Mike Mills, before an intimate performance by the band, featuring guests such as Gail Ann Dorsey (Paris), Kate Stables of This Is The Kit, Mina Tindle, Yuki Numata Resnick, James McAlister, Brooklyn Youth Chorus (New York), and more to be announced.

2 hours ago, mynameismatt said:

Maybe it'll be

9-11 Gig

Nick Cave was also doing Q&A, I asked on this forum whether if nobody asked any questions would he just play more music, to paraphrase the reply from @dentaIpIan

Matt: yes you at the back.

No just stretching, sorry, Bloodbuzz Ohio please.

Edited by GMF

16 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Q&As can be particularly painful sometimes. Especially if you get gushing fans opening with something like "first of all thank you for all of your work..."

I was at a Q&A with Stu Mackenzie with questions from the audience;

"Hi Stu, what's your favourite sandwich?" 

Insightful! Pretty much a waste of time.

These are much better when you get a proper interviewer asking the questions.

14 minutes ago, mynameismatt said:

I don't know, at least Cave seems to have some wisdom to share and doesn't speak to the press all that often. There are hundreds of profiles of the National with no doubt plenty more to come.

They're my favourite band and I literally can't think of one question I'd like to ask them.

This. 

I just want to hear them play beautiful music, not know who the “joker” of the band is or what their favourite venue is. 

Play the damn hits (and some of them sweet album tracks). 

9 minutes ago, nikkic said:

This. 

I just want to hear them play beautiful music, not know who the “joker” of the band is or what their favourite venue is. 

Play the damn hits (and some of them sweet album tracks). 

Very true I'd have no desire to hear gushing fans ask questions of their idles as you say just play the music that's all I want