The National

Zoo Music Girl

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I still don’t get what they were thinking with their Glastonbury set list. I like the latest album but it wasn’t even out at the time. Bit of a wasted opportunity. 

Yeah they fucked it. I enjoyed the performance immensely but playing that many unreleased songs was a dumb move. Maybe they knew they were doomed in that slot regardless and so just decided 'fuck it'? Who knows.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah they fucked it. I enjoyed the performance immensely but playing that many unreleased songs was a dumb move. Maybe they knew they were doomed in that slot regardless and so just decided 'fuck it'? Who knows.

Looking at the set list I was surprised it was only 4 or 5 songs from the new album- at the time it felt like an endless streak of songs I’d never heard and you could feel all the enthusiasm draining from the crowd, while they desperately tried to feign enthusiasm while secretly thinking “what are you doing?!”.

I do now like all the new songs they played apart from turtle neck and the day I die, so I would like to rewatch it.

I thing it was the worst place they could have put them, after Katy Perry, before the Foos on a Saturday evening at the Pyramid. Terrible scheduling. Probably the worst/smallest/most disinterested  crowd i have ever seen at that stage at that time

They didnt help themselves either but the reality is it was never going to work at that time of day on that stage

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

as mentioned before, for most people in that field, who had never heard The National before, they were all new songs. my non-fan friends loved it.

Yep I completely agree. Playing loads of new songs doesn't make a difference if you're playing in front of a largely unfamiliar crowd. And the new songs are really good as well.

22 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yep I completely agree. Playing loads of new songs doesn't make a difference if you're playing in front of a largely unfamiliar crowd. And the new songs are really good as well.

Yeah but surely you want your few fans in the crowd to be having a good time, too? Plus having some people in the crowd singing along and fully into the songs would have made a better impression on those non-fans they were trying to impress.

They can't have been naive enough to think everyone in the crowd was a non-fan so it didn't matter what they played.

Spent the entire time thinking they shoulda been before Radiohead, still do

i’ve seen the national 3 times( glasto, Manchester last year and APE) and still haven’t heard most of my favourite songs and they’re not even deep cuts or not played so Glastonbury was no different

Edited by OddRon

Still yet to hear I Should Live In Salt, Mistaken For Strangers and Pink Rabbits, won’t  even consider ever hearing Anyone’s ghost

can’t complain though when I’ve heard Conversation 16, Squalor Victoria and Apartment story as well as many other memorable moments, loved every show

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Still can't believe they played all my favourite songs the day after I saw them on my birthday last year.

Was that this one by any chance?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2017/eventim-apollo-london-england-3e2451b.html

The GOAT National set list (although that one from last night would run it close).

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was that this one by any chance?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2017/eventim-apollo-london-england-3e2451b.html

The GOAT National set list (although that one from last night would run it close).

I was there. Up there with my all time favourite gigs. 

Sleep Well Beast tour ended yesterday according to their Insta. 

I reckon they’ll have a break and then release a new album early 2020. Just in time for an Other Stage headline slot. 

• 1 month later...

We are excited to announce our return to Manchester, UK on July 10, 2019 as part of Sounds of the City 2019.  Tickets on sale this Friday, November 30 at 9:30am local.

Any chance of that elusive Stage Headline slot? I guess unlikely given the 2017 appearance?

6 minutes ago, Ashl said:

We are excited to announce our return to Manchester, UK on July 10, 2019 as part of Sounds of the City 2019.  Tickets on sale this Friday, November 30 at 9:30am local.

Any chance of that elusive Stage Headline slot? I guess unlikely given the 2017 appearance?

Yeah they ain't gonna be back. 

That Manchester gig will be cool though. Really great venue for it.