The National

Zoo Music Girl

Just now, russycarps said:

weather forecast is looking good this weekend so I might get involved with this gig. Hopefully the novelty of playing the new stuff has worn off a bit and they play mainly from their back catalogue. The latest album remains utter dog eggs.

While I don't agree with the utter dog eggs assessment, I have to say I'd be more inclined to get a ticket for this if I liked the last album more. The last two times I saw them just lacked something, but I would like to have another go and reclaim the lost magic. As it is, the timing of all these events coincides with quite a stressful house move so I've had to stick to just the one. Very much looking forward to Cave day, though. Obvs. 

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

While I don't agree with the utter dog eggs assessment, I have to say I'd be more inclined to get a ticket for this if I liked the last album more. The last two times I saw them just lacked something, but I would like to have another go and reclaim the lost magic. As it is, the timing of all these events coincides with quite a stressful house move so I've had to stick to just the one. Very much looking forward to Cave day, though. Obvs. 

It's the only album of theirs that hasnt been a grower for me (apart from the crap early ones that shant be named, obvs). 

You're probably not going to regret your decision. I reckon their latitude headline set will be the high point of their career. It really seemed to come together for them that night (I was off my tits mind). 

I cannot wait for cave day. It's going to be a stunner. I'm just not sure how much to drink. Need to find the sweet spot of being properly pissed without crossing over into memory loss territory.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

It's the only album of theirs that hasnt been a grower for me (apart from the crap early ones that shant be named, obvs). 

You're probably not going to regret your decision. I reckon their latitude headline set will be the high point of their career. It really seemed to come together for them that night (I was off my tits mind). 

I cannot wait for cave day. It's going to be a stunner. I'm just not sure how much to drink. Need to find the sweet spot of being properly pissed without crossing over into memory loss territory.

I wasn't there at Latitude sadly, but they were at the top of their game for me during the TWFM tour. I think they've peaked. The old stuff is still cracking though, so if you do go I hope you get a back catalogue-heavy set.

The Cave line-up is insanely good, even if you don't take the great man into account. And yeah the drinking is definitely something that needs to be balanced delicately I reckon. 

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I wasn't there at Latitude sadly, but they were at the top of their game for me during the TWFM tour. I think they've peaked. The old stuff is still cracking though, so if you do go I hope you get a back catalogue-heavy set.

The was at the Wednesday night of their Hammersmith run last year and it was fecking incredible, doubt I'll see them better than that.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The was at the Wednesday night of their Hammersmith run last year and it was fecking incredible, doubt I'll see them better than that.

Granted I’ve only seen them once, at that there Wednesday gig you speak of, but it was utterly incredible. 

Hoping that they deviate somewhat from the current tour scheduling this Saturday, as it’ll end up being an almost identical set otherwise. 

Daughters of the Soho Riots, Geese of Beverly Road, About Today, England and Graceless top my wish list for this weekend. 

20 hours ago, strummer77 said:

Ok let me know!

Gonna be a no from me, got stuff I'm already meant to be doing this weekend, and as good as it looks it's not enough of a pull for me to use up all my brownie points in a single hit! :D

6 hours ago, reflekting said:

Doesn't even make it into my top 20. Beauty of The National. For your reference the GOAT is definitely All The Wine. 

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Slow Show

BIC8255.jpg

5 hours ago, reflekting said:

A solid shout for sure. I always think Daughters of the Soho Riots should get a look in whenever the debates for best and/or greatest kick off. 

These three also defo up there tbf. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

They were good but they didn’t quite click with me the way they did at Hammersmith last year.

Ending with an attempted Vanderlye singalong fell flat on its face.

Singalong was gorgeous where we were. It had me sobbing.

Edited by MrHew