The National

Zoo Music Girl

15 hours ago, James96 said:

I think they just played it in full as it was being broadcasted on radio and they played it in full on the NPR first listen thing. So maybe it was just to celebrate the release.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/the-national-played-bowery-ballroom-w-sufjan-doveman-pics-review-setlist/

I watched some of it last night agree think it was basically an album launch with cbs

Well, I think it's great - really really strong, fits in consistently with all the albums since Alligator. That's quite a run of albums now. 

Not sure it's a 'stand out' album for them, but on a few early listens its very accessible, good mix of fast and slow ones. There are a few tracks that I think will go on to be real proper National classics.

TWFM was a slow burner for me, I didn't think it was THAT great at first, but love it now. In contrast I think this is great already.

Not so sure on the final track, but other than that there are some crackers on there. 

Look forward to the gigs - two weeks Thursday!!! :-) 

Listened about 5 times now and it's grown on each listen. 

First time I enjoyed all the way through but didn't really grab me in the same way alligator/boxer/twfm did on first listen. Since then tracks I wasn't too bothered about in the first place (empire line, walk it back, born to beg) have all made a big impression. 

I like that, despite the more electronic approach, the songs are still all trademark National sounding. Matt seems the same as ever, but I'm yet to delve into the lyrical content fully. 

Its great, and that makes it 5 great albums in a row - they're the most consistent band atm in my eyes. 

P.s System till bangs every single time even after having played it upwards of 20 times when it came out, one of their very best imo. 

Agree with all of the above. I'd say of all their albums post Aligator, it's the one that has grabbed me the most immediately (I'm only 5-6 listens in). 

Love the synthy, electronic glitchy aspect of the album. It manages to be different enough yet still retains everything I love about The National. I'm short, it's a triumph. 

Still think Turtleneck is a red herring though, just doesn't seem to fit at all.

Also, how good does the Glasto set list look now? Really strong.

12 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

Anyone have any idea for rough set times for the gig at the Eventim Apollo? Won't be able to make it to the venue until about half 8 and I see the Facebook event for the show says it's gonna finish at 10 which seems very early. 

looking to swap one monday standing ticket for tuesday or wednesday if possible!

37 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

Would they be too big for End of the Road / Green Man? With no Glasto next year, not really fitting the Reading demographics AND having done Latitude in 2016... would they fit anywhere for a headline slot over here next year?  

Yeah I reckon so. Could see them doing Citadel if anything; they've had Sigur Rós and Foals headline the last two years.

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah I reckon so. Could see them doing Citadel if anything; they've had Sigur Rós and Foals headline the last two years.

Very good shout that - and always falls on the same weekend as Latitude which could be a ballache. As incredible as their set was in 2016, perhaps Melvin dropped a ball by getting them in and not waiting for this record - what a show it would be.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Oh really? That sounds good to me!

yeh was after Frank Ocean cancelled and people were calling for a replacement so the main organiser Gabi went on a forum and said something like ''next year, they're coming''

It wasn't officially confirmed of course but he alluded to it fairly strongly I think. Also a week or so before he said they were already working on the running order for the main stages for 2018.

I'm planning on returning to Primavera next year so it's good news for me!!

Just now, rhg_99 said:

yeh was after Frank Ocean cancelled and people were calling for a replacement so the main organiser Gabi went on a forum and said something like ''next year, they're coming''

It wasn't officially confirmed of course but he alluded to it fairly strongly I think. Also a week or so before he said they were already working on the running order for the main stages for 2018.

I'm planning on returning to Primavera next year so it's good news for me!!

Yeah also Aaron Dessner mentioned it in a recent interview, someone asked if they were playing Spain and he mentioned "maybe we'll play Primavera".