The National

Zoo Music Girl

On 7/31/2017 at 1:17 AM, GMF said:

5 tracks out of 12 from a yet to be released album may not be the best way to convince the waverers.

i think they could have done a more "populous" set, playing some more accessible tracks like Vanderlyle, I should live in salt  or Pink Rabbits.

I mean, truly new fans won't be able to tell what's a new song and what's an old one.

Those 3 songs you mentioned aren't really more accessible than the new ones, you just know them before. And I understand why they were hesitant with Vanderlyle - this singalong thing they do might have been embarrassing with half the crowd not knowing them enough.

40 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Love the latest 'this is the kit' album, moonshine freeze. It's a beauty

Not National related

I like the This is the Kit album too, I bought it at the same time as Thurston Moore's 'Rock n Roll Conciousness', now that is a bloody marvellous album.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kizzie said:

Not National related

I like the This is the Kit album too, I bought it at the same time as Thurston Moore's 'Rock n Roll Conciousness', now that is a bloody marvellous album.

Just about to head to the record shop. Will look for that Thurston Moore. Thanks for the tip :)

1 hour ago, Dog Burger said:

My review of the album if you're interested 

http://www.longlivevinyl.net/national-sleep-well-beast-album-review/

Skimmed through but then decided I didn't want to spoil it, so I'll come back to it after it's out. Both singles have been incredible, trying not to overhype it for myself.

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

Just went down to the rating at the end. I trust Dog Burger - I'm now much more excited than I was after the big G.

I don't think it's a record that's going to blow too many new fans away, and it's a bit of a slow burner. A friend who's nearly as hopeless a nut as me said he felt pretty non-plussed after the first listen and had to force himself to go back in, but when he did it really grew on him and he loves it now. That being said, there are some truly great songs on there - particularly in the second half. There are some I'm still not entirely sure about - Day I Die, Turtleneck and Walk It Back. As with pretty much everything they do, it gets under your skin and takes hold.  I don't love it in quite the same all-consuming, 'got to hear it twice a day' way I did Trouble Will Find Me or Boxer, but it fits into their catalogue really well, and is a fairly daring evolution while still calling back to earlier points in their catalogue.  The guitar playing is amazing, probably the most impressive of any record they've done, but there's also less of it, due to the amount of electronic stuff going on. The orchestration at the end of I'll Still Destroy You is utterly amazing, and underlines just how brilliantly clever and artful the Dessners are at arranging music. What a song. Bryan really hammers home what a remarkable drummer he is, too. If I was able to give half marks, I probably would have given the album an 8.5 in all honesty, but I still think it's a beautiful, daring piece of work.  

Edited by Dog Burger

It's up here https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/the-national-share-new-single-carin-at-the-liquor-store-stream/

In the interview Aaron mentions that some of the band thought they might have messed up at Glastonbury by playing so many new songs which was interesting. 

The song is great too, obviously.

edit: full version 

Edited by mynameismatt
youtube

21 hours ago, mynameismatt said:

In the interview Aaron mentions that some of the band thought they might have messed up at Glastonbury by playing so many new songs which was interesting. 

I can't see any interview? Although I am a bit slow today.

nipped out for a loaf of bread yesterday lunchtime, came back with Boxer on vinyl (it's a yellowy green disc!). Playing it with the volume cranked up rn, Brainy sounding wonderful. Gave the download code to a guy at my work to spread the word to those not yet in the know.

20 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

nipped out for a loaf of bread yesterday lunchtime, came back with Boxer on vinyl (it's a yellowy green disc!). Playing it with the volume cranked up rn, Brainy sounding wonderful. Gave the download code to a guy at my work to spread the word to those not yet in the know.

I'm still relatively new to National fandom, but Boxer is the best album I've heard in a long time. Green Gloves best song I've heard in a while too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm still relatively new to National fandom, but Boxer is the best album I've heard in a long time. Green Gloves best song I've heard in a while too.

I've only been into them for little over a year. I was pretty quick to love Trouble WIll Find Me and High Violet, but Boxer took a looooong time to grow on me, and it's still growing. Pretty much the kings of the growers tbh, I think everything I've heard from them has grown with each listen, no exceptions.